Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used 2006 BMW - 10 owners - 5 sales in 2014 - stay away?

• 04-07-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Seems like a lot and kinda suspicious, what do you guys think?
    There is also 22 months TAX gap.

Ownership History (Ireland)
    Date of Sale Owner Category Previous Owners
    18 Nov 2014 PRIVATE 9
    11 Aug 2014 PRIVATE 8
    23 May 2014 PRIVATE 7
    22 Apr 2014 PRIVATE 6
    12 Feb 2014 PRIVATE 5
    19 Dec 2013 PRIVATE 4
    08 Nov 2013 GARAGE 3
    21 May 2012 PRIVATE 3
    08 Nov 2011 PRIVATE 2
    24 Nov 2010 PRIVATE 1
    19 Jul 2010 GARAGE 0
    02 Mar 2006 COMPANY 0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could have been around the time the "selling" and "rebuying" car way of clearing tax arrears came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if somebody is going to that effort to avoid the tax on what was an 8 year old car at the time, id be shocked if it had a well maintained , comprehensive service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 schriss

Tax Expired on 31-03-2014, then it was sold in November 2014, to a garage I assume, which is now selling it. Why wouldn't owner history show recent purchase by GARAGE? Maybe I'm not getting something.

So whoever got it in Nov 2014, never taxed it.

Maybe it spent all those last 2 years in a garage being worked on, rebuilt or whatever, getting ready for sale. I have bad feelings about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

schriss wrote: »
    Maybe it spent all those last 2 years in a garage being worked on, rebuilt or whatever, getting ready for sale. I have bad feelings about it.

if it was in a garage they'd have dealer plates and wouldn't need to dodge the tax with many owners.

Could have been around the time the "selling" and "rebuying" car way of clearing tax arrears came in.

How did that work? Never heard of it before. Just trying to understand if there was valid reason for it to get sold after 1, 3 or 5 months of ownership so many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You'd expect the change of ownership to be early in a month and at least 3+ months apart

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You'd expect the change of ownership to be early in a month and at least 3+ months apart

Thanks. It was 1 month, 2 months, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, all in same year 2014. So I guess must have been something wrong with the car in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Well whatever the reason unless you are planning to keep it for ever you will be trying to sell a car with 11 previous owners when you try to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll OP, there's thousands of other cars for sale. Find something else.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Where did you get that info as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I wouldn't give a continental f**k :D judge the car on itself, not the amount of owners. I've had utter wrecks of 1 owner cars that have been taxed all their lives and minters with big owners and rarely taxed.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Where did you get that info as a matter of interest?

The previous owner, tax and nct details? From Cartell and MyWheels, the cheapest reports. (I would generally get finance check if about to buy, but when looking, I just look at basic reports, they are 10/8 euro respectively).
    Most details would be identical in any car-check site, but interestingly, mileage is not, for example Cartell did not show anything, just mentioned no discrepancies, while MyWheels did list 6-8 mileage submissions for same car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not just ask the seller why did it have so many changes of ownership?

Why not just ask the seller why did it have so many changes of ownership?

Because it's at the dealer now and with 10 previous owners how would they know? "lovely car, drives like new, all lady owners" :)
    And if there is something dodgy about the car so that whoever got it, was selling it within 1-2 months, they wouldn't tell me.
    No I'm not risking it, I need a daily driver, not a project car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

do you have a link to the ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Old nct disc in window even though it says due feb 17.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ad says 4 owners.

I'd ask why is there such a huge disparity with the data you have.

I'm back to looking, not going for this one.
    But I guess they will do fresh NCT after someone puts deposit in or maybe it just got new NTC. Reports are still showing NCT expiry date Feb 2016.
    They can always conveniently say that the other private owners were resellers, so they don't count.
    And then there is no tax since March 2014 so I assume nobody was driving it since then.
    It might be nice as a project car but I decided to go for something else.

thanks for the link, if you are going to be semi done on tax, why not get a 525 auto? far nicer car and wont cost any more too run... take a look at the below!

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130354

ok its a the less bhp engine, but still straight 6 in a far nicer car IMO, asking price a good bit less too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525i/12498031

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT website says it's due since Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wouldn't give a crap how many previous "owners" there has been. Someone was obviously dodging motor tax.

As for resale value - I wouldn't worry about that on a 2006 car.

If it's a good 'un go for it.

look each to their own, a 2006 525 auto SE would have been much more expensive that the 325 SE manual new. I see no point in going for the 325 now, when the far superior 525 is as good as the same price...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    thanks for the link, if you are going to be semi done on tax, why not get a 525 auto? far nicer car and wont cost any more too run... take a look at the below!

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130354

ok its a the less bhp engine, but still straight 6 in a far nicer car IMO, asking price a good bit less too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525i/12498031

Yes I consider 5 series too, but it has to be manual. 2.5l tax is same rip off as 2.2l so yea, it can be either 2.2 or 2.5.
    Also it needs foldable back seats, or missus will give no approval :)

have only every driven manual, but the bro has a 525 and those auto boxes are very easy to get used too! yeah I was surprised the other day, that my bro's E39 didnt have rear foldable seats, made a job a pain in the ass, would have taken the 3 series if we had realised it didnt have folding seats.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    have only every driven manual, but the bro has a 525 and those auto boxes are very easy to get used too! yeah I was surprised the other day, that my bro's E39 didnt have rear foldable seats, made a job a pain in the ass, would have taken the 3 series if we had realised it didnt have folding seats.

Apparently foldable back seats are an option.
    I'm watching few ads, but 5 are always more expensive and I don't really need a larger car, there is going to be max 2 people in it most of the time. Also, I'm coming from "3" sized car.
    There is no way I would go for automatic, maybe after I retire who knows, but definitely not now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm watching few ads, but 5 are always more expensive and I don't really need a larger car, there is going to be max 2 people in it most of the time. Also, I'm coming from "3" sized car.
    There is no way I would go for automatic, maybe after I retire who knows, but definitely not now.

No offense but that is a bit of an outdated but very Irish view. It may have been true back in the 1980s but automatics like the rest of the world have moved forward.

bazz26 wrote: »

No offense but that is a bit of an outdated but very Irish view. It may have been true back in the 1980s but automatics like the rest of the world have moved forward.

What I meant was that I enjoy driving manual and that is what I need now, but as we get bored with things, priorities change and so on, one day I might just prefer automatic over a manual. It's a choice we have. Right now I choose manual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

If it was a 2.5 diesel I'd be shouting auto but the manual in the petrol isn't bad!

Now that I see it's a 2.5 I would definitely assume the owners were just dodging tax or something along those lines.

I just looked up another 2.5 and that had 13 owners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

I just looked up another 2.5 and that had 13 owners...

Yup, I bet it's a widespread phenomenon.

Advertisement