Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on quarq Elsa rs

Options
  • 05-07-2016 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Can a quarq Elsa rs power meter bolt onto a dura ace 9000 11spd crankset or must separate chainrings be purchased?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Not sure what exactly you are asking here so apologies if my reply is as useful as a chocolate fireguard! I was running Ultegra 11 speed & bought a Quarg Elsa. The unit comes as a complete crankset (left & right) with no chain rings. I took off my existing Ultegra crankset and pout on the new Quarg crankset. I used the chain rings from my old Ultegra crank on the Quarg. Also had to get a Chris King conversion kit for the bottom bracket to make it fit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

LCD wrote: »
    Not sure what exactly you are asking here so apologies if my reply is as useful as a chocolate fireguard! I was running Ultegra 11 speed & bought a Quarg Elsa. The unit comes as a complete crankset (left & right) with no chain rings. I took off my existing Ultegra crankset and pout on the new Quarg crankset. I used the chain rings from my old Ultegra crank on the Quarg. Also had to get a Chris King conversion kit for the bottom bracket to make it fit.

I think that's exactly what he is asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Amprodude wrote: »
    Can a quarq Elsa rs power meter bolt onto a dura ace 9000 11spd crankset or must separate chainrings be purchased?

You get the Elsa cranks and the spider, the new rs model has been designed for shimano 4 bolt chainrings so you can use the chainrings from your current cranks but that is all.
    You will also need to replace the bottom bracket as they will definitely either be GXP or BB30 compatible and not Shimano standard (24mm).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

LCD wrote: »

That's exactly what I'm asking. I know about the bottom bracket but wasn't sure if I had to buy separate chainrings with the quarq crankset.

I will purchase a second quarq for my TT bike now too, I have a ultegra crankset set 10 speed on that. Every thing should be fine for that too would I be correct in saying? I know I will have to get a bottom bracket for that too.

Thanks

It would probably be easier in the long run to buy the cranks with chainrings and sell on your old cranks complete. Much easier to sell as a whole unit.
    The elsa rs is for a 4 bolt system and will not fit 5 bolt ultegra 10 speed(6700) chainrings.

Have you considered just getting a power2max shimano (24mm) compatible powermeter.

• Advertisement

clog wrote: »
    It would probably be easier in the long run to buy the cranks with chainrings and sell on your old cranks complete. Much easier to sell as a whole unit.
    The elsa rs is for a 4 bolt system and will not fit 5 bolt ultegra 10 speed(6700) chainrings.

Have you considered just getting a power2max shimano (24mm) compatible powermeter.

Are rotor chain rings compatible with power2max?

Yes i have these. Rotor 24mm cranks (shimano size). Fits 5 bolt chainrings.
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/favorites-en/power2max-type-s-rotor-3d24-road/

Yes i have these. Rotor 24mm cranks (shimano size). Fits 5 bolt chainrings.
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/favorites-en/power2max-type-s-rotor-3d24-road/

What is this power meter like compared to the quarq, I know very little about it. I just want something that is reliable and works and is pretty accurate. Am I correct in saying that this will bolt onto my Ultegra 6700 crankset on my TT bike? Just checking before I consider purchasing.

Thanks.

Does the quarq Elsa rs come in bcd 130 version or is it just bcd110? I need it to fit a 53/39 shimano dura ace 9000 crankset.

Thanks

Amprodude wrote: »
    Does the quarq Elsa rs come in bcd 130 version or is it just bcd110? I need it to fit a 53/39 shimano dura ace 9000 crankset.

Thanks

If it is the new Shimano 4 bolt system then they use a 110bcd in all configurations. Bcd difference applies to 5 bolt systems.

• Advertisement

If it is the new Shimano 4 bolt system then they use a 110bcd in all configurations. Bcd difference applies to 5 bolt systems.

Must send on a picture as a bike mechanic told me that I would need the BCD 130. I'll post back with the picture and someone can tell me for sure which system I need.

Mine is a 5 bolt system. Can I get one of these in 130?

You would be looking at the quarq elsa R (not the RS).

https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1723/

You would be looking at the quarq elsa R (not the RS).

https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1723/

Thanks, I'm just wondering it says there on that link that it will work with shimano 10 speed only. I have 11speed, I assume I need some different crank do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

This is like Chinese torture.

Plastik wrote: »
    This is like Chinese torture.

It might be but I'm not an expert on any of this and I know very little about sizes and fits etc, if i was as knowledgable as you i wouldnt be here. thanks for your input.

Advertisement