Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this bike do....

Options
  • 05-07-2016 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm considering buying this bike and I'd appreciate a yes or no from this community. I'm early 50's, lost 4 stone in the last year, I power walk/jog 12km 5 days a week, but I'm hurting my knees a bit now and I feel cycling would have the same benefits with less impact damage. I can buy the bike on the bike to work scheme, so half price over a year equals a negligible cost. I'm never gonna compete, I just want to keep fit and see how far I can travel.
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-sport-bike
    I'd appreciate all advice and comments, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Smartin,
    I think it is a decent bike but with a couple of reservations. The gears are 8 speed, which are unusual enough for a endurance bike. If you were to participate in hilly cycles or sportifs, then you might find this range too limited.
    Within your BTW allowance, you could get this. http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.2.disc/25076/90690/#specifications
    It is a fantastic bike and most people that get one coming from a hybrid find it exceptional fun. When I started (many years ago), the advice I was given was to buy a little more bike than you think you need. The rationale being as you get better, you take on more, and you want to have a bike that matches your (unknown) goals. Disc brakes are awesome, and the gear range on this will get you up any hill you will meet,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also just turned 50 and switched to cycling to reduce impact and injury about 8 years ago. It works very well and my experience was I could up distances much easier without injuring myself than running, and am currently happy enough with spins up to about 200k. I'd agree with dermabrasion that the Defy is a better long term option if you've the extra available to spend, the 10 speed 50x34 front with 11x32 back is very versatile for long days out in the hills with slightly lower gears available than the boardman. Using lower gears on hills make life easier and also means less stress on the knees. If you're fit and light it is not so much of an issue, but if you've still a few pounds to lose it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, it's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

No question that Defy is faaaaar more better than this Boardman. Also is quite good value for money.

And comes in just under the budget too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The defy is a better bike, however, I would try to avoid disk brakes...

The reason is the ones on this bike are mechanical, and don't have as many advantages as the hydrolic ones, also the wheels are different, and if you ever want to updrage them or damage, and want a cheap replacment, you will have trouble.

what about this bike:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.2/25072/90691/#specifications

kierank01 wrote: »
    The defy is a better bike, however, I would try to avoid disk brakes...

The reason is the ones on this bike are mechanical, and don't have as many advantages as the hydrolic ones, also the wheels are different, and if you ever want to updrage them or damage, and want a cheap replacment, you will have trouble.

what about this bike:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.2/25072/90691/#specifications

I presume that for op applications this brakes are good enough especially that mechanical is easier in maintenance than hydraulic ones. I dont see also what is wrong with wheels.
    Just to clarify. I dont say that this Defy is best you can get in BTW money range but is definitely better than Boardman stated by Op.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

sin_26 wrote: »
    I presume that for op applications this brakes are good enough especially that mechanical is easier in maintenance than hydraulic ones. I dont see also what is wrong with wheels.
    Just to clarify. I dont say that this Defy is best you can get in BTW money range but is definitely better than Boardman stated by Op.

Agreed with the one proviso that the disc brakes will typically let you run wider tyres than the rim brakes, which can be an advantage comfort wise on poorer road surfaces.

the advantages of disk brakes are generally consistent wet breaking, and better modulation.

You don't get the modulation with the mechanical disks.

there is nothing wrong with the wheels, but they are different from 90% of all other bikes, so you don't get the economies of scale, so replacing them will cost more than standard rim-break wheels.

You can get a standard chincher rim wheel set for ~120, but you will pay a good bit more for something similar in a disk setup.

rim wheelset e114:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-r501-c30-wheelset/rp-prod76252

single disk wheel e145:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rx31-road-disc-brake-front-wheel-centrelock/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

You don't get the modulation with the mechanical disks.

I someone who has ran a lot of bikes with cantis, Vs, hydro rim, mech disc and Hydro disc I really disagree with that statement. Set up, pad choice and brand makes more difference.

The Giant Defy is the standard against which all BTW bikes are compared to. With the addition of disc it makes it a brilliant all year around bike. Consistent braking is a godsend in bad weather.

I wouldn't worry about wheel prices either - if/once you decide to upgrade your wheelset (usually firms scrimp on wheelset relative to the rest of the bike as firms know people like to upgrade them first) there are a host of choices out there, I run 29er tubeless rims on my road bike and factory built choices are increasing every year.

The other bonus to disc brakes is that unless you crash and pringle the rim it'll last for an age as it's it not been worn away by the brake pad.

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    I someone who has ran a lot of bikes with cantis, Vs, hydro rim, mech disc and Hydro disc I really disagree with that statement. Set up, pad choice and brand makes more difference.

The Giant Defy is the standard against which all BTW bikes are compared to. With the addition of disc it makes it a brilliant all year around bike. Consistent braking is a godsend in bad weather.

I wouldn't worry about wheel prices either - if/once you decide to upgrade your wheelset (usually firms scrimp on wheelset relative to the rest of the bike as firms know people like to upgrade them first) there are a host of choices out there, I run 29er tubeless rims on my road bike and factory built choices are increasing every year.

The other bonus to disc brakes is that unless you crash and pringle the rim it'll last for an age as it's it not been worn away by the brake pad.

The point i'm trying to make is that there are extra things to consider if you are going to go for a disk bike.
    Cost may not be an issue for you, but it might be for others.
    If someone is going to get a bike on the lower end of the roadbike market, then, I would suggest to make everything as standard as possible, so that when (not if) something needs to be fixed, it can be done easily, and cost effectively.

I would be trying to make the same point, if someone was going to buy a cheaper mountain bike, with suspension...its extra weight, and an additional component, that will be getting a lot of abuse, so a cheaper one will likely fail earlier.

Thanks again everyone, looks like a defy so. Am I right in saying the two defys linked to are identical bikes except for brake set up? If so all I have to do is decide based on brake set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

saccades wrote: »

The point i'm trying to make is that there are extra things to consider if you are going to go for a disk bike.
    Cost may not be an issue for you, but it might be for others.
    If someone is going to get a bike on the lower end of the roadbike market, then, I would suggest to make everything as standard as possible, so that when (not if) something needs to be fixed, it can be done easily, and cost effectively.

I would be trying to make the same point, if someone was going to buy a cheaper mountain bike, with suspension...its extra weight, and an additional component, that will be getting a lot of abuse, so a cheaper one will likely fail earlier.

I specifically disagreed with your comment on modulation of mechanical discs vs hydro.

I did badly word my comment about cost, it was meant that there is a huge range in pricing - all you need is a rim and a hub laced together then move your rotor over, I had a road open pro laced to a mtb xt hub bitd before road disc wheelsets and you could drop that price even more with lower spec items. Discs are a standard component on road bikes now - I'd be more worried about bolt through specifications on the front hub/fork.

I disagree that cheap suspension is a valid comparison to getting disc brakes vs rim brakes, cheap suspension is going to be heavy, ineffective and not really help in anyway, standard mech disc brakes are going to outperform rim brakes in the wet and you'd be able to lock both up in the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks again everyone, looks like a defy so. Am I right in saying the two defys linked to are identical bikes except for brake set up? If so all I have to do is decide based on brake set up.

Yes. I'd suggest popping into the Giant store (on the long mile road) if you can - they normally have all the models on display and have been very helpful in my experience. My wife was between two sizes, and spent some time cycling around in the shop on the two different sizes before she made up her mind....

Paddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

A lot depends on how you plan to use the bike. Will you be heading out for evening/weekend spins, or commuting to work, or off with family or what.

Evening/weekend spins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Don't make a final decision until you've tried out the bike. You'd be crazy to spend €1k without spending an hour on the bike, and making sure you are comfortable on it.

Don't make a final decision until you've tried out the bike. You'd be crazy to spend €1k without spending an hour on the bike, and making sure you are comfortable on it.

The fit is critical, the person what you buy the bike from, should but it on a turbo, and have you pedal, and then measure your hip/knee angles at various points in the stroke, and adjust the height & setback of the seat.

Don't be surprised if you have to change the seatpost, or the handlebar stem, which will cost not much more, but the cost can be offset with the choice of brakes.

The fit is critical, the person what you buy the bike from, should but it on a turbo, and have you pedal, and then measure your hip/knee angles at various points in the stroke, and adjust the height & setback of the seat.

Don't be surprised if you have to change the seatpost, or the handlebar stem, which will cost not much more, but the cost can be offset with the choice of brakes.

I doubt that he can expect angles measurement as a standard fit in LBS. It would be nice but more than likely he will be need to pay extra for that fit session.

sin_26 wrote: »
    I doubt that he can expect angles measurement as a standard fit in LBS. It would be nice but more than likely he will be need to pay extra for that fit session.

I suppose it depends on the shop...

Buddy of mine paid 3k for a bike last year, and got a full laser guided bike fit, and a revisit after a couple 100k
    I felt a little hard done by, because I got a 2k bike 6 months before in the same shop, and just got the angles measured, and stem flipped. The bike is fitting me well though.

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on the shop...

Buddy of mine paid 3k for a bike last year, and got a full laser guided bike fit, and a revisit after a couple 100k
    I felt a little hard done by, because I got a 2k bike 6 months before in the same shop, and just got the angles measured, and stem flipped. The bike is fitting me well though.

And propably depends from amount spend as well :).

Thanks all for the time and advice, upped the budget a small bit and went for this one in the end: http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.0/25072/90687/
    Got it in the sale and on the CTW scheme, so happy out. All I need now is a good quality pair of shorts and a harder arse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Man posts up intention to buy cheap bike. - A regular occurrence.

Man has bike twice the price recommended to him - This always happens.

Man actually listens to the advice and goes on to buy even more expensive bike. - This NEVER happens!!!

Well done that man! Smart Martin indeed :). Got yourself a nice bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

fat bloke wrote: »
    Man posts up intention to buy cheap bike. - A regular occurrence.

Man has bike twice the price recommended to him - This always happens.

Man actually listens to the advice and goes on to buy even more expensive bike. - This NEVER happens!!!

Well done that man! Smart Martin indeed :). Got yourself a nice bike there.

He obviously is a Smart Martin

LOL thanks lads, I still wasn't sure I did the right thing but your replies are actually very reassuring.
    Have to say, they were very helpful in the Giant shop. Lots of measuring and advice.

Advertisement