Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Species for Coppicing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Thinking of planting a few hundred trees in ditches but it will be the summer again I’m organised. Clearing bushes and fencing first. Where can I buy potted coppice type or should I wait until next winter and sow bare root? Bare root tend to be smaller than the potted. Has anyone ever sown Eucalyptus trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Thinking of planting a few hundred trees in ditches but it will be the summer again I’m organised. Clearing bushes and fencing first. Where can I buy potted coppice type or should I wait until next winter and sow bare root? Bare root tend to be smaller than the potted. Has anyone ever sown Eucalyptus trees?

For coppice I would use Hazel and Hawthorn. Stay away from Blackthorn, as its invasive. I wouldn't buy potted due to cost, and would plan for bare root next November onwards. If you really have to do it during the summer, buy bare root and heel them in, in a temporary location.

Don't know where you are, but Eucalyptus is not fully hardy away from coasts.

For coppice I would use Hazel and Hawthorn. Stay away from Blackthorn, as its invasive. I wouldn't buy potted due to cost, and would plan for bare root next November onwards. If you really have to do it during the summer, buy bare root and heel them in, in a temporary location.

Don't know where you are, but Eucalyptus is not fully hardy away from coasts.

Whitethorn and ash ok?

Whitethorn and ash ok?

Whitethorn and Hawthorn are the same thing. Ash die back is busy killing 90%+ of our ash trees at the moment, so no point in planting ash. Hazel is excellent for coppicing and the offcuts have many uses

Stupid question. Is it easier to cut timber into blocks straight away or to leave it to dry out? My neighbour says to leave it for a year but I like to get it down and be finished with it as soon as I can. Thanks

• Advertisement

Stupid question. Is it easier to cut timber into blocks straight away or to leave it to dry out? My neighbour says to leave it for a year but I like to get it down and be finished with it as soon as I can. Thanks

The more surface area exposed, the quicker it will dry out. The drier it gets, the more difficult to split. Stick to what you are doing.

Advertisement