Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden holds water on surface

Options
  • 05-07-2016 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I have recently moved into a house where the garden holds water on the surface when it rains.

I'm not sure what type of soil we have but there is moss mixed in with the grass.
    There is a wall at the back of the house which is possibly stopping drainage.

I have forked the soil but it makes little difference.

I am looking for ideas on how I could resolve this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Likely you have a clay based soil. Hard drainage project it likely the only answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Digging a trench or two and filling it with stones - is that a possible solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We had this problem and it turned out to be the remaining floor of a concrete shed was underneath the grass .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Our garden was like this when we first bought our house, it was just (mossy) lawn with hedges on 3 sides. Every time it rained a bit more heavily we had puddles in the grass. We have since removed some of the hedges and lawn to let more light in and create flower and vegetable beds, that has made a huge difference! The moss is pretty much gone and there are no longer any puddles.

Advertisement