Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir Sports & Silverlight

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

eir are providing the former Setanta Sports channels FOC to their customers ........ that is those customers who can install Silverlight and are prepared to use browsers that can use it.

So anyone who wants to use Chrome ..... nope

Anyone not using Windows or MAC OS ..... nope

After >10 having no Windows install on my PCs maybe I should consider going back to Windows to avail of the sports channels.

I have no intention of using two different OSs so it is either/or for me.

I am really pissed at eir for this.
    "Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge do not support Microsoft Silverlight which is required for the eir Sport service. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Silverlight was born dead in my opinion and it's still dead. For some reason some guys keep trying to push it. It quite funny that even Microsoft Edge doesn't support it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Silverlight was born dead in my opinion and it's still dead. For some reason some guys keep trying to push it. It quite funny that even Microsoft Edge doesn't support it :-)

+1
    IIRC even MS have not been pushing it for the last number of years.

Of course if I was paying Sky a subscription I could also get eir Sports that way ...... but apparently ONLY if I pay Sky a sub!

It might be easier for me to pay Sky than to use Windows ......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

+1
    IIRC even MS have not been pushing it for the last number of years.

Of course if I was paying Sky a subscription I could also get eir Sports that way ...... but apparently ONLY if I pay Sky a sub!

It might be easier for me to pay Sky than to use Windows ......

Not so... :)

If you are an eir customer and have Sky for TV you can register your Sky viewing card on the eir Sports site with your My Eir login and get the channels via satellite for free - and in HD.
    You don't need a Sky Sub for this.. just a viewing card (although without paying Sky you won't be able to pause/record etc)

Works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭28064212

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight
    Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Microsoft has set the support end date for Silverlight 5 to be October 2021

But how could eir have possibly predicted Silverlight's demise? :rolleyes:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement