Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e money licence

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where in Europe is the easiest place to get an e money licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think they are all going to be much the same. I'd say Ireland would be handier to deal with than most, but I have not done it. The authorities will be slow to give the license to people they don't know pretty well. If they don't know you, or at least of you, they will probably be more conservative with the prudential requirements.

You may also need to deal with authorities in the individual countries where you plan to offer services. This may or may not be an issue in practice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I think they are all going to be much the same. I'd say Ireland would be handier to deal with than most, but I have not done it. The authorities will be slow to give the license to people they don't know pretty well. If they don't know you, or at least of you, they will probably be more conservative with the prudential requirements.

You may also need to deal with authorities in the individual countries where you plan to offer services. This may or may not be an issue in practice.

It is virtually impossible to get an e money licence in Ireland, this has stopped a lot of businesses setting up here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

jezzer wrote: »
    It is virtually impossible to get an e money licence in Ireland, this has stopped a lot of businesses setting up here

They can't really stop you if you meet the prudential requirements. I can see problems there.

According to this, the U.K. is straightforward. Problematic now obviously. Luxembourg is also mentioned.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/us-payments-firms-raised-concerns-over-irish-regulation-1.2202636

I can see how a regulator is going to be slow on issuing. There is a lot of downside for the regulator.

I would be inclined to see what could be done in Ireland in the first instance. It isn't going to be cheap though, no matter where you go.

It might make sense to partner with an existing licensee to get going quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

They can't really stop you if you meet the prudential requirements. I can see problems there.

According to this, the U.K. is straightforward. Problematic now obviously. Luxembourg is also mentioned.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/us-payments-firms-raised-concerns-over-irish-regulation-1.2202636

I can see how a regulator is going to be slow on issuing. There is a lot of downside for the regulator.

I would be inclined to see what could be done in Ireland in the first instance. It isn't going to be cheap though, no matter where you go.

It might make sense to partner with an existing licensee to get going quicker.

interesting idea

Advertisement