Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug socket timer switch for table lamp

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,

I'd like to put a couple of table lamps onto timer switches for security reasons. I've looked at the dawn-to-dusk solutions, but I don't think that they will suit my purposes, and ideally I'd like greater control.

I purchased a triple pack of plugin timeswitches in Argos, but now I see that they are not suitable for "low energy (compact fluorescent), linear fluorescent and discharge lamps". Their switch rating is 13(2)A resistive(3120W).

My bulbs are the Diall brand from B&Q - EBP-4-18W-B22 2700K 18W 140mA - Are these compact fluorescent lamps (I can't quite recall!).

Also, why would these lamps be excluded from what is a glorified on/off switch?
    (OK, glorified is in my opinion only, and I'm not by any means an electrician!!! :D )

Should I return the timers to Argos?
    What alternatives would anyone recommend? Or should I change my bulbs? They are standard Bayonet type.

Thanks!

speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have u looked in Ikea, I have them and they say not for inductive loads, i.e. washing machines, same spec as yours

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Have u looked in Ikea, I have them and they say not for inductive loads, i.e. washing machines, same spec as yours

So, are fluorescent bulbs the same type of load as a washing machine?

Haven't gone to IKEA though, seems a little much just for a timer switch for a lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Have you looked at WIFI controlled bulbs ? they can be timed and controlled from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Speedsie wrote: »
    So, are fluorescent bulbs the same type of load as a washing machine?

Haven't gone to IKEA though, seems a little much just for a timer switch for a lamp.

1: don't know
    2, check before u go, I don't see them listed just now...I bought a bunch when up there last as while they don't last forever are v cheap

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Woodies have three cheap timers fur 24 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anybody know what the difference is with mini plug in timers? Is it just that they are physically smaller?

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Plug-In-Timer-3-pack-mini/18-2024 - these are mini but how do they differ from normal plug in timers? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote:
    That's far from cheap for a timer . Better off with a WEMO

ted1 wrote:
    Or these basic ones

I said the timers were cheap units the cost is the cost.

On that they are 8 euro each not incredibly expensive imo.
    The basic units linked above are not suitable for use in Ireland and don't ship to here either, but ikea do offer a timer off the shelf.

The wemo units are nice alright.
    Stepping it up though. Three lightwaverf timers is 28 euro. I use them without issue but they need a hub costing about 64 euro, controls rads, sockets, lights , boilers etc.

Lidl have them this week too

Sorry to keep banging on but does anybody know the difference between mini plug in timers and normal timers? Is it just that the mini timers are physically smaller?

I've looked at the wi-fi controlled timers but I think for reliability the mechanical ones are best.

If your internet and or mobile goes down you wont get your device to come on unless it's already set.

• Advertisement

I'd say the mini ones are the smaller digital ones

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd say the mini ones are the smaller digital ones

- So physically smaller and Digital as opposed to being mechanical.

I might try Lidl this Thursday for the Silvercrest mechanical 2 pack.

Delta2113 wrote:
    - So physically smaller and Digital as opposed to being mechanical.

Yes that's a guess. The small units I've see are digital. The bigger ones have the mechanical dials. Hard to fit the mechanical dial on a small unit

I picked up a 2 pack mechanical and 1 Digital plug in timer both €5.99 each earlier today in Lidl.

Beginning to wish maybe I should have just got 2 Digital ones. Still I'll see how they perform - great value if I get at least a few years out of them I'll be happy.

Advertisement