Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan on - little activity

Options
  • 05-07-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I have a 5 year old Dell laptop: i3, 4Gb RAM, Windows 10 fresh install about 1 month ago.

The Fan is going quite a lot and it's getting fairly warm. CPU is showing low activity not more than 20%, RAM is similar. This didn't start since the Windows refresh, it was also happening beforehand.

My son plays Minecraft & some other games (Steam I think) but even when they're running the CPU is fairly low. When we watch any movies from it (HDMI out to the telly) the fans going like the clappers.

Any other reason the fan's going so much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the GPU. Graphics task (HD Video playback, Games, Flash Videos to an extent) do most of their work on the GPU which you dont see in the task manager.

If this behaviour is recent then there's a decent chance a cleaning will help. A can of compressed air into the vents is the recommended method.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Freqm0n

...think there's also 'passive' and 'active' settings in the power options - although it really does sound like an airflow prob as above ...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Just back on this one - I gave it a blast through the vents, but no impact. Still getting plenty of fan activity. I've pulled the laptop apart before, but only to get at the HDD and RAM. the motherboard & CPU are buried a little more firmly so it'd nearly be down to bear bones, then I'll give it a whirl.

Advertisement