Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son of a Bun: FSAI closure

Options
  • 05-07-2016 11:21am

Son of a Bun has been hit with a closure order by the FSAI for structural issues and the presence of VTEC E.coli in staff.

Why do people think that pink minced steak is safe??? It's ludicrous that people think that mincemeat can be cooked rare or even medium

STATEMENT FROM SON OF A BUN CORK
    Regarding Temporary Closure Served on Son of A Bun
    by HSE & Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI)
    5 July 2016

Following a complaint, Son of A Bun restaurant has been working with the FSAI to ensure the integrity and quality of food safety at the premises in Cork.

A closure notice served by FSAI on Son of A Bun on evening of 29 June in relation to structural issues (layout, storagte, zoning of foodstuffs) on site at the premises.

Construction work in the basement of the restaurant took place from 30th June to 4th July to address the issues raised in the closure notice.

While the closure order does not relate to or reference any pathogens or infectious bacteria being present, Son of A Bun and the FSAI undertook a range of investigative measures to identify the source of the complaint.

Beef samples are voluntarily but rigorously kept for monitoring from each day's lunch and dinner service. To date, all beef samples from Son of A Bun have tested negative for pathogens including Ecoli.

While no pathogens were found in the food chain at the restaurant, 4 staff have tested positive to carrying bacteria linked with Ecoli, while not being ill themselves or presenting with any symptoms.

E. coli are bacteria that normally live in the intestines of humans and animals. Although most strains of this bacteria are harmless, several are known to produce toxins that can cause severe diarrhea or even ‘bloody’ diarrhea as well as abdominal cramps. This strain, Ecoli 0157 usually resolves within 5 to 10 days without antibiotics. (Ref: Wikipedia) See also https://www.fsai.ie/faq/vtec.html

Son of A Bun has been open for 9 months and has served tens of thousands of burgers to date. Routine health inspections have occurred on site regularly without incident. The management at Son of A Bun is working closely with all the relevant authorities, including the FSAI and HSE to address this serious matter. The restaurant is closed while a thorough sanitisation is completed and staff will be trained again in food safety and procedures.

Son of A Bun owners, Niall and Amanda O'Regan, have stated, “We are all devastated by this news. It is a really difficult time for all concerned. Of utmost importance is public safety and we are working day and night to resolve this situation”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Son of a Bun has been hit with a closure order by the FSAI for structural issues and the presence of VTEC E.coli in staff.

Why do people think that pink minced steak is safe??? It's ludicrous that people think that mincemeat can be cooked rare or even medium

STATEMENT FROM SON OF A BUN CORK
    Regarding Temporary Closure Served on Son of A Bun
    by HSE & Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI)
    5 July 2016

Following a complaint, Son of A Bun restaurant has been working with the FSAI to ensure the integrity and quality of food safety at the premises in Cork.

A closure notice served by FSAI on Son of A Bun on evening of 29 June in relation to structural issues (layout, storagte, zoning of foodstuffs) on site at the premises.

Construction work in the basement of the restaurant took place from 30th June to 4th July to address the issues raised in the closure notice.

While the closure order does not relate to or reference any pathogens or infectious bacteria being present, Son of A Bun and the FSAI undertook a range of investigative measures to identify the source of the complaint.

Beef samples are voluntarily but rigorously kept for monitoring from each day's lunch and dinner service. To date, all beef samples from Son of A Bun have tested negative for pathogens including Ecoli.

While no pathogens were found in the food chain at the restaurant, 4 staff have tested positive to carrying bacteria linked with Ecoli, while not being ill themselves or presenting with any symptoms.

E. coli are bacteria that normally live in the intestines of humans and animals. Although most strains of this bacteria are harmless, several are known to produce toxins that can cause severe diarrhea or even ‘bloody’ diarrhea as well as abdominal cramps. This strain, Ecoli 0157 usually resolves within 5 to 10 days without antibiotics. (Ref: Wikipedia) See also https://www.fsai.ie/faq/vtec.html

Son of A Bun has been open for 9 months and has served tens of thousands of burgers to date. Routine health inspections have occurred on site regularly without incident. The management at Son of A Bun is working closely with all the relevant authorities, including the FSAI and HSE to address this serious matter. The restaurant is closed while a thorough sanitisation is completed and staff will be trained again in food safety and procedures.

Son of A Bun owners, Niall and Amanda O'Regan, have stated, “We are all devastated by this news. It is a really difficult time for all concerned. Of utmost importance is public safety and we are working day and night to resolve this situation”.

Interesting article on rare burgers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Okay ,define safe, the meat was fine , the staff had v-tech....
    The main source of v-tech in ireland aint burgers,it aint food.. its music festivals - ban music festivals ?
    Nothing in life is risk free, if you want your burger well done, have it well done, if you like steak tartar then enjoy it...
    Hope the staff and owners at son of a bun can get over this and carry on,i'll have no prob returning , I really enjoyed eating there..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Because it can be safe if produced, handled and stored correctly. I'm currently working in the Netherlands and burgers are routinely served pink to medium here. You actually have to ask if you want it well cooked. If making burgers at home, I will cook them medium.

I hope Son of a Bun is back up and running shortly.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Okay ,define safe, the meat was fine , the staff had v-tech....
    The main source of v-tech in ireland aint burgers,it aint food.. its music festivals - ban music festivals ?
    Nothing in life is risk free, if you want your burger well done, have it well done, if you like steak tartar then enjoy it...
    Hope the staff and owners at son of a bun can get over this and carry on,i'll have no prob returning , I really enjoyed eating there..

Someone did make a complaint to the FSAI.

Safe is how the Food Authorities deal with it and all state the relatively high risk of mincing meat and cooking under "well done". Personal choice is great and all but fiid sellers have to obey general rules

dudara wrote: »
    Because it can be safe if produced, handled and stored correctly. I'm currently working in the Netherlands and burgers are routinely served pink to medium here. You actually have to ask if you want it well cooked. If making burgers at home, I will cook them medium.

I hope Son of a Bun is back up and running shortly.

And Son of a Bun was found to not be storing correctly and had sources of contamination on premises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

nothing was found on the food, it was the staff hand samples that had traces of E Coli on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You made a general statement about cooking mincemeat pink. I responded to that general statement.

To be fair to Son of a Bun, it should be pointed out that there were no actual cases reported, and they are taking remediative actions to fix the potential sources of contamination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Great to see the owners addressed the issues so quickly, hope they don't get to much negative press from this.

Do the FSAI usually go straight to a closure order, I always thought an issue would be raised and time was given for it to be addressed.

nothing was found on the food, it was the staff hand samples that had traces of E Coli on them.

The food was being stored in an unsafe environment. I don't make the rules.

I do listen to the microbiologists and WHO regarding meat prep though.
    Rare/medium mince is not safe as the internal pate temperatures are not hifh enough to kill bacteria

And Son of a Bun was found to not be storing correctly

when? it doesnt say that anywhere i have read about this issue today.

• Advertisement

11214 wrote: »
    Great to see the owners addressed the issues so quickly, hope they don't get to much negative press from this.

Do the FSAI usually go straight to a closure order, I always thought an issue would be raised and time was given for it to be addressed.

They've been very quick with them for some time

when? it doesnt say that anywhere i have read about this issue today.

Their own, honest, release

closure notice served by FSAI on Son of A Bun on evening of 29 June in relation to structural issues (layout, storagte, zoning of foodstuffs) on site at the premises

Their own, honest, release

closure notice served by FSAI on Son of A Bun on evening of 29 June in relation to structural issues (layout, storage, zoning of foodstuffs) on site at the premises

doesnt say food was stored incorrectly. thats the heading of the section of the article that covers the closure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Someone did make a complaint to the FSAI.

If someone had a physical complaint, the environmental health officer would be in... if they had a complaint about policy that'd be fsai... could be way off on that :-) .
    If its the service staff that have an e-coli issue (no one found v.tec) ,cooking no matter how well wont help, and you should never eat anywhere including at home (probably the highest risk e-coli) .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

doesnt say food was stored incorrectly. thats the heading of the section of the article that covers the closure

So the layout and storage areas of the food was found to be inadequate but the food was stored correctly.

I love how people are all experts when it comes to medicine and bio sciences and get all riled up when people point out the inherent dangers of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So the layout and storage areas of the food was found to be inadequate but the food was stored correctly.

I love how people are all experts when it comes to medicine and bio sciences and get all riled up when people point out the inherent dangers of their actions.

Did you not know people on the internet are experts about everything.

my understanding is that the basement area needed refurbishment in regards to tilling and needs to improve its ventilation.

never said i was an expert but i can read and nowhere on the release does it say the food was stored incorrectly.

its assumptions like that, that can put a small enterprise out of business.

Us Internet people are great at jumping to the worst conclusion and not listening to reason even when faced with the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Did you not know people on the internet are experts about everything.

I'm actually sitting with a bunch of microbiologists right now. They will be testing for ecoli, enterobacteriaceae and Coagulase positive staph etc when they get up. Asked a few questions, including is it hand washing... No apparently, people can just be carriers. The particular strain is quite serious. All would eat pink burgers btw.

I'm actually sitting with a bunch of microbiologists right now. They will be testing for ecoli, enterobacteriaceae and Coagulase positive staph etc when they get up. Asked a few questions, including is it hand washing... No apparently, people can just be carriers. The particular strain is quite serious. All would eat pink burgers btw.

thats really interseting,

i know you can get it from dairy etc, (farm girl)

but isnt that why pregnant women dont eat soft cheese etc..

Personal choice is one thing.
    Ask them if they would professionally recommend that pink mince is safe to eat, as an official guideline.

• Advertisement

thats really interseting,

i know you can get it from dairy etc, (farm girl)

but isnt that why pregnant women dont eat soft cheese etc..

Or very young or old who'd be vulnerable. I know the Same people have a real problem with Darina Allen and her views on unpasteurised milk. If anyone has questions I can try and ask. Might be waiting for answers.

Ask them if they would professionally recommend that pink mince is safe to eat, as an official guideline.

Yes they would. With the exceptions I listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Rare/medium mince is not safe
    as the internal pate temperatures are not hifh enough to kill bacteria

Obsessed

what about steak tartare ?

http://i.imgur.com/okYq0yy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Disappointing news - Son of a Bun has been one of the successes of Corks recent renaissance regarding new restaurants and to my mind, is probably one of the best in Cork city atm - tastefully furnished, nice staff, good music without being too loud, hustle and bustle, and I really enjoyed the food (dem Jalapeno poppers :eek: ) So to that end I really hope this doesn't have an effect on their trade and they can continue normal service sooner rather than later.

Regarding the medium burgers - I was under the impression both times I've been there that staff inform you how they're cooked by default & you can choose to stick with that or ask it to be cooked more if preferred? Now that doesn't mean you can't still get food poisoning or be susceptible to infection based on how the food is stored etc. but if we're talking solely about the dangers of the way your burger is being cooked then it's worth pointing out that if you're paying for the burger - the power is in your hands to have it cooked to your liking

Or very young or old who'd be vulnerable. I know the Same people have a real problem with Darina Allen and her views on unpasteurised milk. If anyone has questions I can try and ask. Might be waiting for answers.

was brought up drinking it. im still alive.

used fight over the strawberry milk too.

my city friends were horrified when i told them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

D'Agger wrote: »
    Disappointing news - Son of a Bun has been one of the successes of Corks recent renaissance regarding new restaurants and to my mind, is probably one of the best in Cork city atm - tastefully furnished, nice staff, good music without being too loud, hustle and bustle, and I really enjoyed the food (dem Jalapeno poppers :eek: ) So to that end I really hope this doesn't have an effect on their trade and they can continue normal service sooner rather than later.

Regarding the medium burgers - I was under the impression both times I've been there that staff inform you how they're cooked by default & you can choose to stick with that or ask it to be cooked more if preferred? Now that doesn't mean you can't still get food poisoning or be susceptible to infection based on how the food is stored etc. but if we're talking solely about the dangers of the way your burger is being cooked then it's worth pointing out that if you're paying for the burger - the power is in your hands to have it cooked to your liking

The HSE would beg to disagree

http://www.shelflife.ie/hse-grills-burger-restaurants-on-rare-meat/

ETA - however further googling found this

http://evoke.ie/food-2/rare-burgers-in-ireland-restaurant-cork

Now I'm confused.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The HSE would beg to disagree

http://www.shelflife.ie/hse-grills-burger-restaurants-on-rare-meat/

ETA - however further googling found this

http://evoke.ie/food-2/rare-burgers-in-ireland-restaurant-cork

Now I'm confused.....

It's mentioned in the press release from the OP on this thread that they keep and test samples - samples that have all come back clean it's worth noting, the issue here seems to be stemming from storage and the fact that staff presented with bacteria that can be harmful - however, again, somebody pointed out that this is most commonly found at festivals

I don't have a vested interest in Son of a Bun, but I like to see businesses doing well, particularly when you've sampled it and found it to be charming. Hopefully they sort it out and this doesn't damage the reputation they've been building for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Charming? :)

It'll be graaaaand. It's a burger joint, let's not overstate it people.

It'll clean up the basement or whatever area breached storage requirements, and open up again.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Charming? :)

It'll be graaaaand. It's a burger joint, let's not overstate it people.

It'll clean up the basement or whatever area breached storage requirements, and open up again.

#thevoiceofreason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement