Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Star Pub - Closed down

Options
  • 05-07-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I see on this week's North County Leader that the Star pub in main st Sword's has closed down with the loss of 30 job's , terribly sad for those losing their job's at such short notice and a landmark north county pub will hopefully not be lost forever like Ryan's across the road.
    If the wall's of that place could talk ,a sad day indeed,let's hope it's not shut for long.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm sorry to hear of a business closing down and people losing their jobs - but when was the last time you were in there?

I've only been in there twice in a decade, one was the afters of a funeral. I felt it had very little appeal to a younger generation, similar to Clerys and Boyers, which are mentioned in the NCL article.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hadn't been inside in decades, it seemed to have fallen behind the times although I heard the carvery was quite good. It failed to sell as a going concern. They're continuing with the carvery for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Originally post by pinkypinky - I'm sorry to hear of a business closing down and people losing their jobs - but when was the last time you were in there?
    Like yourself twas mainly after funeral's in the last few year's,year's ago the auld lad's preferred the 11 o'clock funeral mass,so they could have a pint in Ryan's beforehand and the Star after.
    And as you said it had little appeal to the younger generation,the carvery was very good the few time's we eat there,it's a pity the old pub's are disappearing quicker than turf smoke up the chimney.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The carvery will be continuing to operate
    the food here until the end of July
    and possibly beyond !

Open every day till 9pm
    And till 7 .30 on Sunday..

From the FB page today ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I remember the loft was the place to be. A lot like a lot of places in Swords it's just fallen foul of the times.

Shifted my first proper girlfriend in there too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

TMI. :p

Advertisement