Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal to create another car park and a forest adventure centre in Malahide Demesne

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

pinkypinky wrote: »
    We don't know yet how they're going to price this amenity or even who will operate it.

I feel the project has been rushed through but the petition and the tone of the whatsapp message smacks of nimbyism.

I agree with you. There are a lot of people going ott 'against' the project. But when that sort of thing happens, the best thing the council should do is to take a step back, not a few steps forward.
    I think the prices have been confirmed.
    I also think that "Malahoide" gets a bit of the raw end of the stick sometimes, especially when it comes to them being against anything. 'Nimbyism' isn't the case this time around.
    If you look at the greater picture, there are many alternatives that I believe the locals would accept. This seems to be a case of "we want it, we'll do it!" on the behalf of the council. I think if they have that approach with Malahide, then they will be easily able to take that approach on smaller areas like Oldtown or Naul.
    It's not something I'd be willing to accept. Especially not if it's not even for the greater good of any community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Allyall wrote: »
    I agree with you. There are a lot of people going ott 'against' the project. But when that sort of thing happens, the best thing the council should do is to take a step back, not a few steps forward.
    I think the prices have been confirmed.
    I also think that "Malahoide" gets a bit of the raw end of the stick sometimes, especially when it comes to them being against anything. 'Nimbyism' isn't the case this time around.
    If you look at the greater picture, there are many alternatives that I believe the locals would accept. This seems to be a case of "we want it, we'll do it!" on the behalf of the council. I think if they have that approach with Malahide, then they will be easily able to take that approach on smaller areas like Oldtown or Naul.
    It's not something I'd be willing to accept. Especially not if it's not even for the greater good of any community.
    How can the prices be confirmed? There is no agreement, no contract yet.

plodder wrote: »
    How can the prices be confirmed? There is no agreement, no contract yet.

I'm pretty sure that the expected prices have been confirmed. In nearly every article published about this, they have named a price. €21 for a 7-15 year old and €29 for anyone older.

I'm pretty sure that the expected prices have been confirmed. In nearly every article published about this, they have named a price. €21 for a 7-15 year old and €29 for anyone older.
    Where are you getting this from? Is it from the other Zipit locations? Maybe Zipit will get this contract but they don't have it yet. Even then you can't be sure about the prices they would charge in Malahide.

Where are you getting this from? Is it from the other Zipit locations? Maybe Zipit will get this contract but they don't have it yet. Even then you can't be sure about the prices they would charge in Malahide.

Okay. You are now being pedantic. Do you have a reason to push this? Otherwise it is a bit odd imo that you are arguing for the skyline park and the car park.
    I don't get your point or reasoning, unless you're just doing it to be vexatious.

• Advertisement

Okay. You are now being pedantic. Do you have a reason to push this? Otherwise it is a bit odd imo that you are arguing for the skyline park and the car park.
    I don't get your point or reasoning, unless you're just doing it to be vexatious.
    I'm not being vexatious. I'm just wondering where you got the information from. If it was a newspaper report, I'd like to read it. If it was from facebook or online somewhere, then I would say the information is not accurate. As I said earlier, I'm not completely for or against this. It could be a good thing. I don't think they have gone about it the right way though.

I'm not being vexatious. I'm just wondering where you got the information from. If it was a newspaper report, I'd like to read it. If it was from facebook or online somewhere, then I would say the information is not accurate. As I said earlier, I'm not completely for or against this. It could be a good thing. I don't think they have gone about it the right way though.

I got it from the live stream of the council meeting.
    Apologies if I jumped at you a bit quick.

LOL....They don't agree with your stance so they must be a shill? Because nobody could ever be FOR a development without some sort of vested interest!!!

I've been to Zipit Tibradden three or four times and its a great resource which blends well into the surrounding landscape. Anyone who thinks they'll have to fence off a part of the woodland has obviously never laid eyes on such an installation. If anything, it would lead to more people using the grounds, walking through the area to gawp at the zipliners etc. It does seem to have been rushed through a bit quickly, though.

LOL....They don't agree with your stance so they must be a shill? Because nobody could ever be FOR a development without some sort of vested interest!!!

I've been to Zipit Tibradden three or four times and its a great resource which blends well into the surrounding landscape. Anyone who thinks they'll have to fence off a part of the woodland has obviously never laid eyes on such an installation. If anything, it would lead to more people using the grounds, walking through the area to gawp at the zipliners etc. It does seem to have been rushed through a bit quickly, though.

No.
    Not that at all.
    I think the money could be well spent somewhere else. There are many people from that locality against it.
    It doesn't make ANY sense that this should be pushed through.
    If anything, the very opposite of what you're accusing me of, is happening.
    The difference being that they will ignore opinions that differ from theirs.

Do you have a reason to push this? Otherwise it is a bit odd imo that you are arguing for the skyline park and the car park.

This is what you said and it is as close to openly saying "you must stand to make a few quid from this" or words to that effect, without actually saying it. You honestly cannot understand why anybody would want something like this near to them? you claim the money could be better spent elsewhere, yet fail to provide a single example.

There may be many people from the locality who are against it, but there are also many who would be advocates. Thing is, they move in different circles to those who would be against it, which you obviously are. They aren't out protesting and/or setting up Whatsapp groups either.

There are people (Not including yourself in this) who are against ANYTHING being done to alter/improve/change public amenities in any way, shape or form. Especially if it's in their own back yard. They are a minority, usually, but are vocal enough to hide that fact. Get enough middle aged women riled up enough to talk to Joe, and you can stop anything in this country.

• Advertisement

No. If that's how I came across, then I'm worse than I thought at trying to vocalise my thoughts on an issue.

To cut it short, my problem mainly stems from the unwarranted 'reasons'? 'excuses'? To push this through.
    I don't see any reasons that anyone might have, to make sure this gets passed. And I haven't been given any example of one in this thread, or anywhere else.
    If there is a positive reason that outways the negative on this project, please show me them .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/233020 didn't get to see the maps the stream use to have a slides element but its gone. meetings minutes http://meetings.fingal.ie/

here's the docs http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/public-consultations/items-previously-displayed/
    But the 18 who voted in favour were reassured by the council executive's backing of the proposal and by the prominent community groups who had lined up in favour of the project.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/forest-park-proposal-passes-by-two-votes-34893271.html

can't see any observations/submissions on its page https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/part-viii-proposed-forest-adventure-area-multi-use-reinforced-grassed-area-malahide

local area committee meeting has sumary of submissions and a response http://meetings.fingal.ie/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=137&MId=4419&Ver=4

can't find out which groups supported

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

some people had protest gathering there last week https://greenbeeblogger.com/2016/08/07/power-to-the-picnic-how-the-people-of-malahide-showed-their-council-what-they-believe-in/ I do wonder how many of the parents there allow there kids to run the forest? or they just go to the big playground? /cynic (the little wooden obstacle trail aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Looks like this is no longer going ahead:

While Fingal County Council considers that the proposed Forest Adventure Area and MultiUse
    Reinforced Grass Area at Malahide Demesne would entail important benefits and
    amenities for the Malahide, Fingal and Greater Dublin region, the Council has decided,
    following an assessment of the implications of a legal challenge that has been initiated
    against it, not to proceed with the project.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/STATEMENT%20-%20Forest%20Adventure%20Area%20and%20Multi-Use%20Reinforced%20Grass%20Area%20at%20Malahide%20Demesne%20-%2005.12.16.pdf

Advertisement