Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Sell or to Rent

Options
  • 05-07-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All I'm looking for a bit of advice. A bit of background info, I purchased a property 3 bed terraced house in Limerick city 11 years ago. I lived in it myself for 9 years but always had licensees sharing with me. I moved out 2 years ago to move in with my boyfriend in his house. I rented the house out to a single mum and her kids. I have had endless hassle trying to get the rent off her most months. She moved out last month without paying any rent and having left the property in a bit of a mess. I'm after spending 2 months rent to restore the property. I'm trying to decide whether to sell and had a auctioneer value the property which will just about cover the outstanding mortgage so I will be left the cost of the auctioneer and solicitors fees to pay. Would I be better of to take the chance and rent it again or should I cut my losses and sell? Any advise would be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fortunately most renters aren't like the person you just got rid of so hopefully you won't get stung again if you do decide to rent. Saying that, given the level of taxes, expenses and hassle that comes with being a landlord it might be best to get out.

I've an apartment rented out for the last 11 years, 7/8 sets of tenants, never a problem.

I was in the apartment last weekend as I'm moving back into itself and I was pleasantly surprised at the condition.

If you are selective in picking tenants the odds are in your favour imo but if you are paying tax at the higher rate on the rental income and have a mortgage renting it out again won't really line your pocket so if you can sell and walk away without a financial hit that would appeal too.

Unless a longterm investment appeals.

Hard to know really.

I always rented to people who were employed and only one set of tenants had kids in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sammy2016

Hi im currently looking for a house to rent in Limerick We both work full time and have a 2year old son and a dog thats outside if u decide to rent could you drop me a pm on details we can provide you with a references

Advertisement