Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

• 05-07-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

As Eir have taken over Setanta Sports, get the subscription Free for existing eir broadband customers. Just log into your eir account online and enter your sky cards 9 digit number and get free BT/Eir sports channels.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

There are letters going out today and of the next couple of weeks from eircom. Unless you joined them or changed your package, in the last 2 months, your "new" package is going up by 8 euros a month. What you get is "free" Eir sports package and unlimited landline calls to the UK.

If you want, you have 30 days to leave the contract from the date of the letter, with no early out of contract fees, BUT you must give 30days notice still, or otherwise you will be charged the increased price for part of the next month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are letters going out today and of the next couple of weeks from eircom. Unless you joined them or changed your package, in the last 2 months, your "new" package is going up by 8 euros a month. What you get is "free" Eir sports package and unlimited landline calls to the UK.

Yikes that is an insane price increase!

Clearly the Eir Sports isn't really "free", you'll be paying €8 for it. Ok if you are a big sports fan, but a rotten deal for everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

What Eir packages are going up? Broadband packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Are these streaming sites or on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I've eir broadband. But I also already have the bt/setanta package which I pay an annual fee every January for the year. Anyone have any idea how this new set up will work for people that have the bt/setanta package already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've eir broadband. But I also already have the bt/setanta package which I pay an annual fee every January for the year. Anyone have any idea how this new set up will work for people that have the bt/setanta package already?

somewhere on their website (sorry can't remember where) there is a FAQ with this question and it states that if you phone them up you will get a pro rated refund for the outstanding duration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So Eir is going up by €8 but you now get Setanta and BT?

But does that mean I don't need my €25 Setanta sub anymor?

Happy days if so

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

And how does it work if your not a sky customer.
    Just pay the extra and get nothing?....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

somewhere on their website (sorry can't remember where) there is a FAQ with this question and it states that if you phone them up you will get a pro rated refund for the outstanding duration

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

mik_da_man wrote: »

apparently you can access it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

mik_da_man wrote: »

Nah, Eir's service is via broadband. No Sky dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Watching it online here now.... http://live.eirsport.ie/

Just have to sign in with your Eir details. Didn't work on Chrome, had to use Firefox and install Microsoft Silverlight.
    Looks good so far!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So Eir is going up by €8 but you now get Setanta and BT?

But does that mean I don't need my €25 Setanta sub anymor?

Happy days if so

It says on the letter being sent out, that "If you had the Setanta Sports and BT Sports Add-on,...... you will no longer be charged for this add-on from your next bill".

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Mickalus wrote: »

Just have to sign in with your Eir details. Didn't work on Chrome, had to use Firefox and install Microsoft Silverlight.
    Looks good so far!
    Well if it's online only that's me fooked as I only got 1.5MB with Eir(com) even though cabinet is (fibre)live, apparently the houses in the area have to be 'enabled' too.?.?

Well if it's online only that's me fooked as I only got 1.5MB with Eir(com) even though cabinet is (fibre)live, apparently the houses in the area have to be 'enabled' too.?.?

it's not online only. You can also get it via Satellite like the OP said.
    There's also an app if you're out and about.
    To watch eir Sport on your TV through your set top box, simply select the appropriate channel in your programme guide. If you are an eir Vision customer, the channels will automatically appear in your listing. If you are a Sky TV customer, you will need to provide details of your viewing card in order to view eir Sport on your set top box.

^^ ....from http://support.eir.ie/sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaycos11

jonny_b wrote: »
    As Eir have taken over Setanta Sports, get the subscription Free for existing eir broadband customers. Just log into your eir account online and enter your sky cards 9 digit number and get free BT/Eir sports channels.
    Has this worked for you?

I have tried numerous times and keep getting an error screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Link to add Eir Sports to your Sky box which is free for eir subscribers apparently.

If you are a current Setanta subscriber this is how to get a partial refund
    Will I get a refund if I move from an annual subscription to this offer?
    Yes. If you call 0818 20 30 40, we would be happy to arrange a refund for the remainder of your annual subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

I have eir broadband does that mean that I can get the sports for free and if so do I have to cancel it so that I won't be charged in the future?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

that's a bit steep alright going up to 70 euro to give you free eir sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Broadband only customers monthly rate also increasing?
    My girlfriend is moving in with me soon and hoping to find a way to escape her eircom bb only contract without having to pay off the balance, this could be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

I am with EIR with Phone + Broadband for approx €56 per month. I don't have the E-Vision add-on as I have a Sky package with Movies + Sport.

Am I going up €8 a month as well?? I don't need any more Sports as happy with the Sky Sports and have no interest in BT or Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaycos11

Masala wrote: »
    I am with EIR with Phone + Broadband for approx €56 per month. I don't have the E-Vision add-on as I have a Sky package with Movies + Sport.

Am I going up €8 a month as well?? I don't need any more Sports as happy with the Sky Sports and have no interest in BT or Setanta.

Yes.

All EIR packages are going up. You have 30 day cancellation period as far as im aware tho to cancel from EIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Here's where I am lost with this.

Just spoke to an Eir representative via live chat on their website, asked would I be facing any extra charge on top of my existing broadband bill and they said no none at all, the sports service is free. So where is this 8 quid coming from?

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Just spoke to an Eir representative via live chat on their website, asked would I be facing any extra charge on top of my existing broadband bill and they said no none at all, the sports service is free. So where is this 8 quid coming from?

According to the notice being sent out, the sports service is a free add on. They are charging an extra 8 euros onto the tv/broadband/telephone bundles, for a "better" service and depending on he package you are on, maybe some extra/unlimited calls to the UK.

Maybe if you don't get the telephone service off them, and just get either broadband and/or tv, there may not be any increase, especially if you upgraded or only joined recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

So..... what are the alternatives if I don't want to be held to ransom by Eir?

Is it worth switching to Vodafone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Supposedly a new Eir 18 month contract is required if you enter your sky viewing card .

Masala wrote: »
    So..... what are the alternatives if I don't want to be held to ransom by Eir?

Is it worth switching to Vodafone???

All depends on where you are and how good your line is etc etc, I was looking at Vodafone myself yesterday to compare prices. Considering it.
    This was a nice added bonus for me. BT/Setanta showed a lot of games last season.

I would wait to see if you are actually "Held to ransom" first though. There's a 'talk to' forum as well on boards - some people are asking questions about all this. Worth a read.

Might as well use the sports service until this letter comes to my door. Downloaded the Eir Sports App. Streaming it through my android box. Looks good.

ronanc1000 wrote: »

I rang up this morning after getting the letter. He said my bill wouldn't be going up at all and the sports stuff would be free!!! I know it sounds wrong but I asked him several times and he was adamant.

I get the telephone, broadband from the blighters and have been a customer for donkey's years.

I don't have a bloody clue what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

I rang up this morning after getting the letter. He said my bill wouldn't be going up at all and the sports stuff would be free!!! I know it sounds wrong but I asked him several times and he was adamant.

I get the telephone, broadband from the blighters and have been a customer for donkey's years.

I don't have a bloody clue what's going on.

yes im in the same boat. not a clue.

yeah seems too good to be true. im guessing that it is 100 per cent free online but that it will not be free on TV in the future.

I have a sky dish at home but needs replacing.
    what i dont understand is that it is supposed to be free via Sky. if it is a broadband-based service - how can eir provide it free via satellite?
    im guessing all will be revealed in the coming weeks.....im not sure about this 8 euro charge thing but anyway, lets just wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

You are getting the BT Sports channels via Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

but i dont subscribe to sky....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Therefore that part doesn't effect you.

To watch these channels you can use the broadband service that Eir provide.

This should explain

https://www.eir.ie/sport/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Have it up and running on firefox with my mothers account credentials. What type of android box is reqd to stream it. I have an android tv stick with kodi etc but won;t allow download of the app

Have it up and running on firefox with my mothers account credentials. What type of android box is reqd to stream it. I have an android tv stick with kodi etc but won;t allow download of the app

Have a minix box. Downloaded the app via the google play store. Logged in on the app and it works well.

• Advertisement

Are the channels HD or SD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has anyone with an existing eir BB account and a Sky box been able to sign-up?

I get as far as logging in to My Eir, put in the viewing card number and then get "Sorry, we were unable to process your order. Please check your details and try again. "

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Mickalus wrote: »

Looks good so far!

Damn, can't use the chromecast so. Anybody sign in successfully using eir details on a connection that isn't provided by eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Has anyone with an existing eir BB account and a Sky box been able to sign-up?

I get as far as logging in to My Eir, put in the viewing card number and then get "Sorry, we were unable to process your order. Please check your details and try again. "

Any ideas?

Yeah i have Eir bb and Sky. Signed up a few minutes ago and within a minute i could view it on tv through the skybox.

Try again and maybe it will work eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Yeah i have Eir bb and Sky. Signed up a few minutes ago and within a minute i could view it on tv through the skybox.

Did you have to sign up to a new contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea will try it again in a while.. no luck just now but I'd imagine it's probably inundated tonight

Spoke to their online chat agent and they confirmed they're aware of the issue and suggested calling 0818 20 30 40 which I've done but they're only open 9-6 so if no joy later I'll just call them in the morning and get them to add it at their side.

Cheers for confirming it should work though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Did you have to sign up to a new contract?

No, i didn't have to sign up for new contract. Just check my Eir account online and the contract start date hasn't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Rang 'Setanta' earlier to cancel my annual subscription and claim my pro-rata refund. Girl on the line said that this was being done automatically. She also said that the subscription was for 18 months and would be cancelled automatically after this date.

I have Sky, a Setanta/BT account, and my phone/broadband from Eir.

Am I right in thinking that I don't have to do anything? My Setanta payment will end, my Eir Sport and BT sport channels will be available already (I'm watching Eir 1 now)?

Just downloaded the app, useless sods won't let me watch it on my UK phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No, i didn't have to sign up for new contract. Just check my Eir account online and the contract start date hasn't changed.

Nice ,that would make more sense

It says here
    http://support.eir.ie/eirsport/sky
    What happens if I cease my eir Broadband?

If your eir Broadband is ceased, you no longer qualify for this offer. Access to the channel pack will be removed within 24 hrs of broadband cessation.

If there was a new 18 month contract it wouldn't say that I'd assume.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pinkles wrote: »
    what i dont understand is that it is supposed to be free via Sky. if it is a broadband-based service - how can eir provide it free via satellite?

Sky don't actually own the satellites. It isn't particularly expensive to transmit a channel on satellite.

Roughly half the channels on "sky" aren't actually transmitted by Sky, but are instead transmitted by their owners and have no encryption, for instance all or most of the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 channels. That is how these channels are FTA on satellite and are also available on Freesat and Sky.

Sky is just taking these channels, adding them to their EPG and charging you for what you can get free elsewhere!

BT Sports and Setanta/Eir are a special case. They are actually encrypted on satellite, but they are separate from Sky and can work on an old Sky box even if you don't have a Sky subscription any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea will try it again in a while.. no luck just now but I'd imagine it's probably inundated tonight

Spoke to their online chat agent and they confirmed they're aware of the issue and suggested calling 0818 20 30 40 which I've done but they're only open 9-6 so if no joy later I'll just call them in the morning and get them to add it at their side.

Cheers for confirming it should work though :)

Just be aware that that setanta number is a premium call line and depending on how long you are on it can cost a few Bob.....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I have sky broadband, so I wonder will they match the offer and give us sky sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Daithi07 wrote: »
    I have sky broadband, so I wonder will they match the offer and give us sky sports?

Hopefully themselves and vodafone broadband(obviously dont own any sports channels so interesting to see their offers) will hit back with some equally good offers - otherwise surely they will haemorrhage a lot of customers to eir.

Eir have said dont expect sports to be free for ever but at least a year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eir-sport-secures-rights-to-2019-rugby-world-cup-1.2710988

• Advertisement
Advertisement