Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

If you have a broadband and tv sub are the channels automatically on the tv guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

bigmike99 wrote: »
    thanks i realised it said no chrome on FAQs last night.
    However it didnt work for me on firefox either, or microsoft Edge on win 10 tvbox, or on my android phone!
    Ill try silverlight for firefox now. and ill try opera or firefox on the windows tv box. EDIT: had silverlight, updated, still wont load page on firefox!
    No clue why the app doesnt work on my android though, wont log in.
    it is working on the skybox for me.

Question: Maybe you have to be in the house with the eir broadband?!
    doesnt work "on the go" with app or in another house that isnt using eir broadband?

bigmike99 - you need to do the following - check if your system has the old internet explorer. thats the blue e icon with a saturn-like ring on the left-handshoulder of it - NOT microsoft edge which has a different icon. . (i totally uninstalled this anyway , cos sometimes i mix the two up)

even if it is a newish computer, you will easily find the old IE on your machine , if you dunno, there are loads of vid on youtube.
    my advice is dont go near firefox. there are certain versions (i think it is 64 - bit) which is unsuitable for silverlight, eg sky go....

i had a lot of problems with my mozilla/ silverlight as i had tried to sign up months ago with the old setanta go.
    make sure you have the relevant boxes ticke when you check your silverlight on IE. i had mine somehow unadivated.
    one other thing to remmeber is that multple attempts to login with the wrong browser will count as a device change (silly, i know.....)thus locking you out for another month. thats another factor.
    my advice would be run sky go on via the old Internet Explorer with silverlight - there is a test page i think. if that works Eir TV will also work.

RE android phones, works perfectly on mine. (recently purchased cheapish Huawei ) no need to install anything.

Question: Maybe you have to be in the house with the eir broadband?! im pretty sure if you have registered via your own BB initially, you can login at will at all other locations. havent tried it to be honest but reckon you will be able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is this an option everywhere?

I didn't think I could have broadband without a land line.

Then again I have a monitored alarm, that needs a phone line as far as I recall. Bugger.

I have broadband only through my landline with Vodafone ie no phone service. I used to have phone and broadband with eircom but I'd say I used the landline about once a month.
    Look up Vodafone simply broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

The online web player is pretty poor definition . Not much use without sky or eir set top box .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

i've decided i'm leaving eir after donkeys years as I don't want the sports channels i'm thinking of going with vodafone which is €40 a month for 6 months for braodband and home phone and €45 after the six months, works out €20 cheaper a month than eir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

casio4 wrote: »
    i've decided i'm leaving eir after donkeys years as I don't want the sports channels i'm thinking of going with vodafone which is €40 a month for 6 months for braodband and home phone and €45 after the six months, works out €20 cheaper a month than eir

I was with Vodafone a few years back and the broadband was awful. Mobile awful and Tech support equally bad. Maybe it has improved but I would rather get some carrier pigeons than go near them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

pinkles wrote: »

even if it is a newish computer, you will easily find the old IE on your machine , if you dunno, there are loads of vid on youtube.
    my advice is dont go near firefox. there are certain versions (i think it is 64 - bit) which is unsuitable for silverlight, eg sky go....

i had a lot of problems with my mozilla/ silverlight as i had tried to sign up months ago with the old setanta go.
    make sure you have the relevant boxes ticke when you check your silverlight on IE.

great advice cheers for that,

Gave me such a headache today. I tried all this early, installed IE11 and the page wouldnt load. installed firefox and tested a silverlight test page on both(both worked dispite it being the firefox 64bit download)
    I set all page settings on firefox to allow all plugins and no joy

I then rang them and they said it doesnt work on win10 or chrome or IOS or mac , which is grand my laptop is win 7.

Its like the page is blocked on my system!! I asked my friends to try and the page loads for them, id say silverlight only runs when the flash program is needed, the actually page should load up anyway for me and it doesnt on all 4browsers( i tried opera aswell)
    This is the main problem, the actual live.eirsport.ie page refuses to load, with no error or anything, just sticks on loading.

It doesnt work on 2 phones either which is strange because i can log into the myeir app no problem.
    I asked support to check if my devices were maxed, said not set up on any yet, because i couldnt log in.

Support said i should have got an activation email and validate eirsport sign up? did anyone else get an email to validate?
    ALl i got was an email confirming subscription to eirsport channels. IT DOES WORK on my SKY. But that doesnt help me as im away from the house for the UFC tonight:mad:

I was with Vodafone a few years back and the broadband was awful. Mobile awful and Tech support equally bad. Maybe it has improved but I would rather get some carrier pigeons than go near them again.

you say mobile awful, i'm with three for my mobile phone i'm just looking for landline and broadband with someone cheaper than eir but if the broadband isn't good then I will think about it some more

you say mobile awful, i'm with three for my mobile phone i'm just looking for landline and broadband with someone cheaper than eir but if the broadband isn't good then I will think about it some more

I had land line and broadband with them aswell. Latency was the biggest problem. Every evening the broadband would slow to a crawl. Best to check the forums here to see how they are these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

For the most part VF broadband is fine. I very rarely have issues. Been with them about 5 years. However when I have had issues - the nicest word I could use to describe their customer service is scum. Its like they are told to wind you up for the sake of it. Unless you're near the end of your contract. Then they bend over every way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Liam O wrote: »
    Have an Android box (MXIII) and when I sign in it says that they failed to generate a DRM license for the app. Is this because of a dodgy version of Android or is it something that should be working?

cletus wrote: »
    I have the same issue on an mk808b stick. It appear that the problem is Eir uses silverlight instead of html5. Im looking for a fix t the moment, checked with Eir technical support, they have no solution, and cant find an app or plugin that will work

anyone find a fix for this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

micks wrote: »

Id say for now I think the only way to go is app from phone to tv through micro usb/hdmi cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

micks wrote: »

I'm using an android box as mentioned before. Its a minix neo x8-h plus. All I did was go to the play store and download the Eir Sport app, logged in and it sems to run well. Actually I've found using it today the picture quality is much sharper than on day 1, no idea why. I dont have fibre, just standard and don't face buffering. Very happy with it if it remains free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

The mobile app does not work on a broadband connection other then Eir, unfortunately...kinda useless as a mobile app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

oleras wrote: »
    The mobile app does not work on a broadband connection other then Eir, unfortunately...kinda useless as a mobile app.

yes it does, watching the UFC now and most definately not on eir where i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

scudzilla wrote: »
    yes it does, watching the UFC now and most definately not on eir where i am

Would not work for me earlier, kept getting the log in page.

edit. Just checked there on VF mobile data and its working, in work earlier on their wifi it wouldn't work, we go through some hub in Belgium so maybe it was being geoblocked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was with UPC/Virgin for years, but a few months ago I moved to an area they weren't in. I decided to go with Vodafone. I called them and they told me the fastest speed they could do was 1 Mb. Called Eir and they said they could do 40Mb on the same line.

I have no idea what's going on with Vodafone, but that's a bit worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My experiences with them all...

I'd echo the comments about Vodafone. I had serious issues with their mobile billing that dragged on for the best part of 3 months before I manage to escalate it to the right department - any company that actively hides contact numbers on their website (as they do - leaving you to bounce around the one number they do give you) is never a good sign and their Egyptian based support is shockingly bad which is even more frustrating considering they're not exactly cheap. No experience with their TV service though but their broadband was not great - as a former BT customer I got shunted across to them when VF took over and I left very shortly thereafter.

Eir's billing and support operations aren't much better but at least you can talk to them and resolve it if you have patience. Their BB/mobile products themselves are actually fine and reliable to be fair. Plus remember that most of the others are reselling the eir service so if anything goes wrong your provider has to go back to eir anyway which in my experience adds more delays. I had their eVision TV service last year and actually paid to get out of the contract it was so poor - maybe it's better now?

UPC was grand insofar as the broadband was fast and stable. Never dealt with them from a billing/support perspective though as the bill wasn't in my name, but I had no need to either. The TV service though was nowhere near as good as Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 veelckoo

What a joke. 7 euro per month free sport that I have no interest of using.
    Switched to Vodafone straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭bikeblue

A pity they do not live broadcast the formula 1 race today in Silverstone. I was looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

veelckoo wrote: »

have you checked the vodafone speed? some people said it's slow

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

bigmike99 wrote: »
    Id say for now I think the only way to go is app from phone to tv through micro usb/hdmi cable?

any luck with the getting this configuration working? ( it doesn't work for me .... works on the tablet but when connecting via HDMI it won't display on TV ... whuch is what i expected. just wondering if there's some way around it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

veelckoo wrote: »

How much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Luap wrote: »
    If you have a broadband and tv sub are the channels automatically on the tv guide?

Yeah once you sign up online. Was over at my sisters yesterday and she got the increase letter. She's a big footie fan (with Eir for broadband and phone and has a Sky sub) so she signed up online when I was there. Gave them her viewing card number and the channels were unscrambled on her Sky box immediately. 6 channels in all, 5 which are in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 veelckoo

I was with them some time ago and internet speeds were exactly the same as eircom on the same line (26Mb/s at the time).

can't post links - search for speedtest net awards.
    On average little bit slower than eir but that does not bother me at all.

@GY A1
    I have chosen 40/month for 6 months, 45 afterwards with Unlimited Local & National Minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭nu_90

For those who have no sky contract and have got the free channels on their box , any chance they are in HD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

nu_90 wrote: »
    For those who have no sky contract and have got the free channels on their box , any chance they are in HD ?

That'll be interesting to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would guess so. My sister,although she has a Sky sub, does not have a HD sub and is getting them in HD.

""""""I would guess so. My sister,although she has a Sky sub, does not have a HD sub and is getting them in HD""""".[/quote]

Cheers adox , sounds good so.

Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

""""""I would guess so. My sister,although she has a Sky sub, does not have a HD sub and is getting them in HD""""".

Cheers adox , sounds good so.

Anyone else?[/quote]

Same as that do not have a HD sub and getting SD and HD channels

Yes, 5 channels in HD. No sky sub :-)

Perfect lads, thanks for confirming this , better dust off those old boxes so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Just thinking of the parents here...bb connection, but using a saorview/freesat combo box for TV. Will I have to pull out the old sky box to get UK channels plus eirsport, AND leave the combo box in place for RTE? Anyone know of a combo box that takes a sky card? I foresee many hours of swearing at boxes in my future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

adox wrote: »
    Yeah once you sign up online. Was over at my sisters yesterday and she got the increase letter. She's a big footie fan (with Eir for broadband and phone and has a Sky sub) so she signed up online when I was there. Gave them her viewing card number and the channels were unscrambled on her Sky box immediately. 6 channels in all, 5 which are in HD.

I'm waiting 20 minutes now. Is it supposed to come through immediately for everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I'm waiting 20 minutes now. Is it supposed to come through immediately for everyone?

Mine came thru immediately after I entered the sky viewing card number online.

• Advertisement

percy212 wrote: »
    Just thinking of the parents here...bb connection, but using a saorview/freesat combo box for TV. Will I have to pull out the old sky box to get UK channels plus eirsport, AND leave the combo box in place for RTE? Anyone know of a combo box that takes a sky card? I foresee many hours of swearing at boxes in my future!

eir sport channels work fine on my old Sky HD box but nothing when I try the card in my Ariva 252 combo box and I have tried many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eir sport channels work fine on my old Sky HD box but nothing when I try the card in my Ariva 252 combo box and I have tried many times.

Card is paired with sky box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Unfortunately I have no viewing card in my Sky box. Off topic I know, but is there a way to purchase one to avail of this offer or would I have to go through Sky to get the card?

Paully D wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have no viewing card in my Sky box. Off topic I know, but is there a way to purchase one to avail of this offer or would I have to go through Sky to get the card?

ask eir/setanta they should send out one to u,
    dont pay for an old card anyway,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I thought simply broadband was 40€ from Vodafone if you don't want/use the phone line

Prices have increased due to OpenEir, Eir's wholesale side increasing the wholesale prices, I assume to pay for this "free" sports!!!

My parents and sister are with Vodafone, they get 100Mb/s and 80Mb/s, the full capability of their line. I haven't noticed any congestion or bad pings on their lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I have a question that hasnt been asked.

I set it up on the sky box in my room and also in another room. Works grand on mine, but not on the other. Do both boxes need to be connected to the broadband for it to work? Currently only mine (the one that the sports are working on) is the only one connected to the broadband.

It was my understanding this was through satellite and not broadband

Shouldn't have to be connected to Internet.
    May have to call them again
    DuffleBag wrote: »
    I have a question that hasnt been asked.

I set it up on the sky box in my room and also in another room. Works grand on mine, but not on the other. Do both boxes need to be connected to the broadband for it to work? Currently only mine (the one that the sports are working on) is the only one connected to the broadband.

It was my understanding this was through satellite and not broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Im currently subscribed to sky for both tv and broadband.

If i want to swap over i just need to cancel sky and start a new package with eir and once thats up and running input my old sky viewing card num and jobs a good one... right?

GY A1 wrote: »
    ask eir/setanta they should send out one to u,
    dont pay for an old card anyway,

in a similar situation, my plan being to set up my old sky box for FTA but will Eir actually send out viewing cards so I can add and unlock BT Sports etc?

Can anyone confirm that they do this?

Didnt think they (EIR) have viewing cards tbh, i think I'd be told that you need to be a sky subscriber to use the service on a sky box...

No you don't have to be a sky subscriber to get eir/setanta.
    Setanta have sent out cards to people.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    in a similar situation, my plan being to set up my old sky box for FTA but will Eir actually send out viewing cards so I can add and unlock BT Sports etc?

Can anyone confirm that they do this?

Didnt think they (EIR) have viewing cards tbh, i think I'd be told that you need to be a sky subscriber to use the service on a sky box...

No you don't have to be a sky subscriber to get eir/setanta.
    Setanta have sent out cards to people.

Any link to where I contact them about it? So they will issue viewing cards to Eir broadband customers that are eligible for Eir Sport? Sounds great..

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Any link to where I contact them about it? So they will issue viewing cards to Eir broadband customers that are eligible for Eir Sport? Sounds great..

Ring eir
    Or setanta on the same number in Scotland as before
    0818 20 30 40
    You have a sky box just tell them send u a card for it to work.
    They will have to pair it to the box when u get it in post.

Ring eir
    Or setanta on the same number in Scotland as before
    0818 20 30 40
    You have a sky box just tell them send u a card for it to work.
    They will have to pair it to the box when u get it in post.

Is this a straight forward thing for them? Sorry about all my questions, I just didn't think and was not aware you could get a viewing card that will work unless your with sky. Is it the same number you ring to pair the card when it arrives then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Do I need to get eir boardband for thiS OR WHAT IS it just for the channels

cena wrote: »
    Do I need to get eir boardband for thiS OR WHAT IS it just for the channels

http://support.eir.ie/eirsport/

• Advertisement
Advertisement