Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Set up for the parents today and the Dad is like a kid in a sweet shop with all the new channels and new sports like baseball and even women's Olympic field hockey.
    However I don't think he has realised that he now has no excuse to go to the pub to watch a game he normally couldn't see on Sky sports. (Mother is delighted with that outcome!!)

I added my sky card also and it's working away fine for me too!

One issue is that it won't work on the parents iPad. My dad uses that sometimes when mother is watching one and recording another and there is a game on Sky.
    It keeps saying device not registered even though it's showing up as registered in the account.
    Anyone else come across this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Limpar

Anyone get the online setup working on non-Eir broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Limpar wrote: »
    Anyone get the online setup working on non-Eir broadband?
    Yep, have it working on vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Any word/gossip/insider knowledge that either sky or vodafone are going to hit back with offers to counter the eir one?

Imagine both must be losing a lot of customers to eir.

For myself I can get a very similar broadband package with eir to what I am on currently on for the same price so, in the absence of a counter offer, may as well change and get the free sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

macjohn wrote: »
    Any word/gossip/insider knowledge that either sky or vodafone are going to hit back with offers to counter the eir one?

Imagine both must be losing a lot of customers to eir.

For myself I can get a very similar broadband package with eir to what I am on currently on for the same price so, in the absence of a counter offer, may as well change and get the free sport.

I rang sky to cancel my broadband and move to eir but they flooded me with offers..basically worked out i saved myself over 50 euro a month to stay...they were desperate to keep me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    I rang sky to cancel my broadband and move to eir but they flooded me with offers..basically worked out i saved myself over 50 euro a month to stay...they were desperate to keep me

What did you get?

Eir called to my door yesterday and threw offers at me.

Told them I've to wait a few months anyway to change as my sky deals don't run out for a few months.

I'm already with eir mobile but with their package I was nearly getting my monthly bill free if I got eir broadband. Twas some deal to be fair. Told him get back to me in October.

What did sky do for you?

I've sky broadband, movies, all sports and HD so when my offers finish I'll be up to 140e a month or so. Which I ain't paying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

How do I access this for a business? I have eircom broadband. Don't know the sky passward. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Corkman64

I don't have an old Sky Box or viewing card only have a fta box, is there any way to watch the channels through satellite instead of streaming them as my broadband speeds are poor.
    Does anyone know if this (http://www.freetv.ie/no-logo-cards.html) would work if i bought a sky box or evision box as I don't want to subscribe to any TV service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Corkman64 wrote: »
    I don't have an old Sky Box or viewing card only have a fta box, is there any way to watch the channels through satellite instead of streaming them as my broadband speeds are poor.
    Does anyone know if this (http://www.freetv.ie/no-logo-cards.html) would work if i bought a sky box or evision box as I don't want to subscribe to any TV service.

There's a guy on Adverts.ie selling cards for less than free tv. He's a top seller,and a top guy, so can sometimes run out of cards.

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/get-all-the-freesat-channels-on-your-sky-box-from-4-euro/10734000

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a guy on Adverts.ie selling cards for less than free tv. He's a top seller,and a top guy, so can sometimes run out of cards.

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/get-all-the-freesat-channels-on-your-sky-box-from-4-euro/10734000

Be careful, he's selling UK Sky viewing cards which aren't compatible with the Eir Sport package.

If you have an old Sky box, you need to get hold of an Irish Sky viewing card. Best ringing up Eir Sport directly as they should be able to provide them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

QUESTION -
    I have a sky box. However, i dont have an active subscription and never did. However, i do have a sky viewing card which NEVER activated with sky.
    Basically, now that I have my sat dish fixed, i wanted to know if i could still get the channels if Eir somehow activate my card.
    I guess i could try to do it online? But if the car was never active, i am presuming it wont work for me. This is what ive been told elsewhere anyways.
    I dont want to ring sky obviously, and force myself to activate and sign up for a basic package (just actually got saorview so i have what i need from my TV) but woud still like to get the free channels from EIR via atellite.
    yes i have the app on my phone and via my computer but via astellite would be seamless and much more convenient.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Yes just ring eir and they'll turn it on for u
    pinkles wrote: »
    QUESTION -
    I have a sky box. However, i dont have an active subscription and never did. However, i do have a sky viewing card which NEVER activated with sky.
    Basically, now that I have my sat dish fixed, i wanted to know if i could still get the channels if Eir somehow activate my card.
    I guess i could try to do it online? But if the car was never active, i am presuming it wont work for me. This is what ive been told elsewhere anyways.
    I dont want to ring sky obviously, and force myself to activate and sign up for a basic package (just actually got saorview so i have what i need from my TV) but woud still like to get the free channels from EIR via atellite.
    yes i have the app on my phone and via my computer but via astellite would be seamless and much more convenient.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    M

GY A1 wrote: »
    Yes just ring eir and they'll turn it on for u

yes, but i just has a webchat with them. they said that my sky account must be LIVE, or i get an eir box with them. my sky accout is nt live.
    funny cos i used to get setanta via my sky box but no official sky sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am in same situation as you, pinkles. I had an old setanta card that had lapsed. I just went online and had card in an sd box, and bingo it worked in seconds. However, I wanted to get hd so dug out an amstrad hd box that was given to me and rang eir/setanta yesteday, they asked for my name and home address, never asked for box ser no!! and bingo I was switched on BUT I only get one HD channel, BT SPORT1 and all the others are SD. I then realised box was not used so software was out of date, updated but still no joy.

I am going to ring again tomoro.

If your box is SD just go online and do as shown, it will work. But if its a hd box make sure its got latest software. If it does not work just ring that setanta no. 0818 203040 and they will send signal. There is another no you can ring and I think its on this thread. I leave box on eir sport 1 before ringing and can watch if it opens.

ps aparrently it can take a few hours to clear but has always been instant when I rang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

yes, but i just has a webchat with them. they said that my sky account must be LIVE, or i get an eir box with them. my sky accout is nt live.
    funny cos i used to get setanta via my sky box but no official sky sub.

Sounds like a sales guy making a sales pitch....

You don't need an active sky sub. Try entering in your viewing card number online and see what happens. Worked for me, and I haven't paid sky in a year.

Have your sky box on and on one of the channels before you do, and you should be able to tell instantly.

thank you to Mikalus and swoofer for your replies.
    Tis is what happened... I put in my sky viewing card , but as i had never actually activated it , it states on the screen that "this viewing card is not authorised - call the broadcaster for details"

I actually did go to the eir website prior to that and set u the service online.
    But unfortunately as the card is not operational, i cant get the channels.
    Pretty sure my options are
    1. ring sky - activating card will mean signing up for a package.
    2. ring eir - get them to try (probably will not work either if card doesnt work )
    3. continue just with the streaming channels on my laptop/mobile via eir sport app
    i thik option 3 is the best bet to cut costs , a free eir box is not attrctive especially if it means another 18 month contract with the.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Quackster wrote: »
    Be careful, he's selling UK Sky viewing cards which aren't compatible with the Eir Sport package.

If you have an old Sky box, you need to get hold of an Irish Sky viewing card. Best ringing up Eir Sport directly as they should be able to provide them.

Yeah,you will get an error on the Eir site if you try to register a UK viewing card .
    2. ring eir - get them to try (probably will not work either if card doesnt work )

Ring Eir ,they can activate the card for you ,they piggyback on the Sky system ,there is no need to ring Sky.
    If that doesnt work ask Eir to send you out a new viewing card .
    You might need a new card as I had that message on a multiroom sky box a few years ago and the only solution was a new card .

wait a mo, you say you used to get setanta via you sky box and that means it was activated in the past.

You need to go to my eir, log in then click on the sport bit at top, you are then asked to log in again and then you get options like are you with eir bb and sky etc, you need to pick the one i have sky tv with eir bb, then you get a few more options, until eventually you have to enter a phone no, sky viweing card number, its on back of card, then select a sport and team, then tick 2 boxes then continue, then creen rolls over and then you get an option to clisck send signal, card must be in box.

it sounds confusing and it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Advertisement

yes i ahve been through that process online but unfortunately it says card is invalid.
    did it with a card i got from sky in january - didnt work.
    tried it on another sky card (probably Irish) and didnt work either. last option is to ring Eir tomorrow and ask them to try for me .
    head is wrecked! hehe
    thanks a mill guys.

you are not alone, so is mine.

swoofer wrote: »
    you are not alone, so is mine.

Yeah rang eir and it was interesting as he said I had to actually ring sky. I guess sky have copped on a bit to people trying to use unused cards just to get eir sports for free. A few years ago I got setanta by using an old sky TV card. Now it aint happening as sky are probably freezing old cards to prevent an exodus to eir.
    At this stage im happy to use the app for free as well as
    NOW tv occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pair the card to the box yourselfs, then try signing up online with eir.

Go to the hidden installers menu, press services 001( I think you can google it). And from there do a new install/build whatever it's called I can't remember now.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Pair the card to the box yourselfs, then try signing up online with eir.

Go to the hidden installers menu, press services 001( I think you can google it). And from there do a new install/build whatever it's called I can't remember now.

thanks for advice. did a bit of research on ot , seems there are you tube videos on this, but my box is a white box with square edges, quite different to the ones in the videos.
    i have an older one upstairs which i think is the correct one , sadly no remote
    for that one.
    i actually got an email from eir to say i was set up on tv with them - but cant actually view the channels which is strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

thanks for advice. did a bit of research on ot , seems there are you tube videos on this, but my box is a white box with square edges, quite different to the ones in the videos.
    i have an older one upstairs which i think is the correct one , sadly no remote
    for that one.
    i actually got an email from eir to say i was set up on tv with them - but cant actually view the channels which is strange.

You'd be better off getting a newer HD box on the likes of adverts for about 50 quid, then pair the card to it and activate.

You won't have the ability to pause/record without an active Sky sub, but that should work. Even a multiroom box would work and those are cheaper again.. I have one in the press that I keep as a backup and the only difference is that it's a non-recording box.

Examples: http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-hd-boxes/10974060 or http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-hd-multiroom-box/10712673

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Anyone not on the Sky platform willing to add my viewing card to their Eir account in exchange for a small fee?

Is that to enable you to use card yourself?/ And its not that easy, well not for me. I enabled an old setanta card on an sd box and then read I would get HD as well. So dug out a hd box but then had to ring eir for activation. Got activated but only one hd, BT1 channel. Rang again today at 3.45pm and ... still no hd and now no BT 1 hd either.

I then tried with an old sky irish card, got it all registered and zilch. told it can take 24 hours. I am supposed to be allowed 5 cards I think. Going to ring again but not hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Audio but no video if I try to mirror off my phone :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Has anyone bargained for a better cancellation offer, I currently have home phone and broadband, no interest in the channels as have them anyway. Was thinking of ditching the home phone, is it possible to have broadband without home phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Has anyone bargained for a better cancellation offer, I currently have home phone and broadband, no interest in the channels as have them anyway. Was thinking of ditching the home phone, is it possible to have broadband without home phone?

Yes.. I originally signed up last year for eVision TV, home phone and fibre - because it was better/cheaper to bundle them and there was an offer on... but as the TV service was extremely poor, and I don't even have a landline phone - I called them up and cancelled those, keeping the fibre only.

Now costs me €45 a month for unlimited fibre - and no recent price increase notifications actually

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

phobia2011 wrote: »

Cancelled Eir 2 weeks ago, then phoned yesterday to see what they would do. €45 per month (website offer is €50) Broadband only. Includes sports and Studyhub. 18 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

Sly will certainly do deals for subscribers who mention Eir and potentially moving away from Sky.

Just wondering if Eir are doing any offers for Sky customers who want to subscribe on an annual sub? Seems like €199 is the best offer so far? Anyone go down this route as a Sky customer?

actually, with my sky card unauthorised (i havent had sky in years)
    the new deal with eir isnt great for a big footie fan like me.
    i have saorview which is gr8, but because i have no active sky card , it means i cant get eir sports to my TV.
    would be totally pointless getting a basic package with Sky as they would probably only offer the same channels i already have with the saorview / free sat combination plue a load of ones i would nt watch.
    i recently spoke to a sky agent who mentioned that a sky HD box sub was only
    10euros per month...im guessing that would be for existing sky subscribers only?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

i have saorview which is gr8, but because i have no active sky card , it means i cant get eir sports to my TV.
    would be totally pointless getting a basic package with Sky as they would probably only offer the same channels i already have with the saorview / free sat combination plue a load of ones i would nt watch.
    i recently spoke to a sky agent who mentioned that a sky HD box sub was only
    10euros per month...im guessing that would be for existing sky subscribers only?

€10 on top of the chosen package, I presume.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If your Sky card won't work with this offer (did you try it?) there's no reason why you can't get a free Sky card from Eir Sport to avail of this offer.

There is absolutely no requirement to be an active Sky customer.

If your Sky card won't work with this offer (did you try it?) there's no reason why you can't get a free Sky card from Eir Sport to avail of this offer.

you are 100 % RIGHT.
    (although not eveyone in eir have given me that advice...i had to ring sky, etc...)
    i got the right person to sort it out for me, for me customer support with eir is VERY very hit and miss.
    after probably the 20th time calling them, a lady i called actually listened and turned all the channels after following a few step from her side.
    they will do it for people, but but it really depends on who you get on a specific day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks for this. Reading responses from eir on their "talk to" forum here on boards, they imply that you need an active TV service with Sky.

chasm wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Reading responses from eir on their "talk to" forum here on boards, they imply that you need an active TV service with Sky.

Yes , this is incorrect from.eir (that account has to be active with sky)I feel they are covering themselves as sky cards (not eirs property ) are being used for people accessing a rival service, thus preventing sky subs in order to enable eir sports.. sorry but they will fobb u off. Instead, get a scottish agent , they will sort it and in a very professional way. From.our end the customer support on this issue is abysmal.
    Luckily, I got hold of a lady in scotland, who knew exactly what to do.
    Best advice is avoid any irish customer support people on this issue !

Yes , this is incorrect from.eir (that account has to be active with sky)I feel they are covering themselves as sky cards (not eirs property ) are being used for people accessing a rival service, thus preventing sky subs in order to enable eir sports.. sorry but they will fobb u off. Instead, get a scottish agent , they will sort it and in a very professional way. From.our end the customer support on this issue is abysmal.

Thanks. I haven't tried it yet as I only have saorview, silver crest FTA box for sat channels and an android TV box. I've never bothered with sky but as my parents no longer use their skybox they have offered it to me. After reading eir's replies to queries on here I thought I would only have the option of using the app instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Quick one

Is this paired to the card or the box

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Quick one

Is this paired to the card or the box

Card, but then the cards have to be paired to the box. So you can't just go swapping cards in and out of different boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

thanks guys, trying this now - good lord but their cust service is as bad as it gets :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

shmeee wrote: »
    Card, but then the cards have to be paired to the box. So you can't just go swapping cards in and out of different boxes.

Card pairing to another box takes all of 2mins.

Card pairing to another box takes all of 2mins.

Not if your swapping, I'd to wait 30 days one time to swap to a different box in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Possibly been answered but can I add a friend's viewing card number to get them the channels without issue?

JPA wrote: »
    Possibly been answered but can I add a friend's viewing card number to get them the channels without issue?

Yes

Just do it online, come active after half a hour or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hey guys, I don't know where to start with this but anyway.

I have EiR broadband, used EiR Sport upon launch and all was great with it working well until we were upgraded to fibre (which included getting a new box) so since getting the new box.

Now when I log into EiR Sport with the same details all I get is "Service inactive for your account message" any one know what to do? Been on to Live chat and no good. They couldn't tell me what it was :(

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I don't know where to start with this but anyway.

I have EiR broadband, used EiR Sport upon launch and all was great with it working well until we were upgraded to fibre (which included getting a new box) so since getting the new box.

Now when I log into EiR Sport with the same details all I get is "Service inactive for your account message" any one know what to do? Been on to Live chat and no good. They couldn't tell me what it was :(

Eir used to give you a new account number when you upgraded to efibre, not sure if they still do this, so i could be way off here but, is it possible that you got a new account number which will change your log in etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

chasm wrote: »
    Eir used to give you a new account number when you upgraded to efibre, not sure if they still do this, so i could be way off here but, is it possible that you got a new account number which will change your log in etc?

My log in details & account number remained the same as I can log into myEir to pay the bill etc. Just EirSport won't work with the same detail like they used to before I had the upgrade, as I said I get that "service inactive for your account" message. What should I do now from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    My log in details & account number remained the same as I can log into myEir to pay the bill etc. Just EirSport won't work with the same detail like they used to before I had the upgrade, as I said I get that "service inactive for your account" message. What should I do now from here?
    I know you were on live chat but perhaps if you start a thread on the Talk to Eir forum, they might help there.

Advertisement