Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China packaging

Options
  • 05-07-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Gosh where to start... I have a product that I'd like to market in Ireland and the local packaging costs are huge. So I thought I'd try an old reliable and source some packaging in China on Alibaba.

In essence I'm just importing printed bags and while these are cheap as chips to get done the cost of transport is terrible.

I'd imagine tbc the size will be half a pallet of bags. Air mail is out of the question and I was wondering if any of you have experience in sea freight? How it works, how long it takes, tracking etc.

I'm a little nervous using that method because it's alien to me and you are trusting people in china to deliver as promised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Hi Josh i do a lot of packaging designs for chinese manufacturers, ill shoot you a PM with advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Joshua5,

Seafreight takes an average of 30/32 days ex Shenzhen/Hong Kong to about 35/37 days ex Shanghai and Ningbo.

You need to be careful and make sure you cover all the basis. I would recommend you agree FCA or FOB port of shipment with your suppliers. That requires them to deliver to the port of shipment and take care of the export formalities. Under FOB terms they are also obliged to pay for the handling in the port.

Be sure to make arrangements through an Irish based freight forwarder. Experience suggests if you leave the shipping arrangements to your supplier they will select a very cheap seafreight option, but you will be landed with very high costs on arrival. An Irish freight forwarder will be able to tell you what the total costs are.

Since it is a small pallet, likely to be less than 1 cubic meter, you will be looking at the following charges ;

1. Seafreight ex FOB Chinese Port to arrival Dublin Us$ 75.00 (minimum charge)
    2. Handling 55.00 (minimum charge)
    3. Agency Fee 55.00 per shipment
    4. ISPS / Bond Fee 7.50 per shipment
    5. Customs Clearance 60.00 per shipment

Delivery from the port to your door would be 45.00 around Dublin or 60.00 country wide, which would be subject to VAT.

Trust that gives you some idea. Also be sure to cover the import duty and VAT. If you need any assistance in that respect, PM me or post again.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

You are possibly talking to middle men and small quantities.

Try AB convertors in blessington, they are the main paper bag manufacturer here.

If quantity is small, then price will reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

OP

Buying packaging in Asia can be a nightmare, you need to spec out very carefully:

Paper ( weight grade?) or plastic (ldpe/hdpe/pp/pet laminate)?
    size?
    quanity?
    number of print colours?
    Do you Pantone colour references specified?
    Have they included for origination/plates?

Consider using locally available stock bags and have really good self adhesive labels printed. Digital printing in the label industry means low origination costs, no plates and cost effective short runs for high grade finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Just re-read the op. Half a pallet of bags is a very small quantity. No manufacturer will be able to provide a good price on that.

As above, look for a plain colour stock bag and place a nice label over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement