Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurt back at work

Options
  • 05-07-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hello
    I pulled a muscle in my back while lifting something at work which lead to it going into spasm.

I am not looking to claim or anything like this, i just want to know if im entitled to look for pay for the week or two the doctor said i have to take off.

Any help/info is appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your employer does not have to pay you for sick leave regardless of the cause

If you claim illness benefit you will get it after 6 days and there will be a question on the form asking if the illness is work related

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not unless it says you are in your contract.

Some places will pay you. Some won't because lawyers have told them it can be seen as admitting liability (or just because they're mean).

You have to cover the first six days yourself. After that, there's a benefit you can claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Have you been given a manual handling course ?
    Did you follow the instructions for lifting in the course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This post has been deleted.

that last part is an extremely tricky area.

I injured my back working for a retailer as a late teen/early 20 yr old and while it resulted in a number of operational changes and training changes, it was an extremely drawn out process to get what in the end, literally was not worth it. Also then felt I'd a target on my back going forward for making the claim which I'm sure fed into some decision making relation to promotions and some other issues.

The solicitor and reps I was dealing at the time boiled it down to injuries at work coming to two factors at a base level

1) If training was provided for appropriate lifting, and the employee completed this training and injury occured from lifting other then the train method, good luck

2) If no training was provided to appropriate lifting, argument could be made employee lifting was not qualified to do so.

Mine came under point 2, as while training was available, it was never given to me by the company, yet I was tasked to work in a stockroom. It was deemed negligent on the companies behalf that they had be working in an area without adequate training and that it was not feasible for me to (which the company argued) request a trained and certified colleague to lift items for me from the stockroom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Most places these days have procedures for everything so people can't claim. Did you break procedure or were you asked to do something which you shouldn't be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

I'm in the same boat, working in a furnuture warehouse, lifting sifas, beds tables etc, that they are heavy enough, for 2 ppls, i'm having a pain in the back again....
    As did happen 2 months ago aswell, did visit gp, got few pills+unguent, the pain did gone away in few days.
    Now starting again, on the bottom, not up how it was the first time,the pain.
    Now just wondering, the same thing as the OP, as long as i didn't got any manual handling certificate for lifting heavy stuff, now I can't even bend myself.
    Is the work insurance,if there is one, I don't know, able to cover my needs, for medicine or days off?
    To mention that the first time did got few days off, 2 or 3 plus the weekend, and get back in work without claiming nothing, but now happen again and who knows could be again...!

Advertisement