Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design and planning costs

Options
  • 05-07-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Can someone in the know scan their eyes over this quote for designing a new extension into the roof of a bungalow and let me know if its in the ballpark you'd expect for this work.

• Sketch plans & Specification
    • Design meetings
    • Revisions and amendments
    €1,250

• Detailed specifications
    • Tender documents
    • Tender meeting
    €500

• Final drawings and application
    • Site notice & newspaper notice
    • Lodge planning application
    €600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is VAT included?
    What size is the extension?
    Is this order in which they will be done?
    seems wrong

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Yes I think this is the order, VAT is not included in the price. Its to extend a 800 sq. ft. bungalow by raising the roof and other modifications on the ground floor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is VAT included?
    What size is the extension?
    Is this order in which they will be done?
    seems wrong

I wouldn't say 'wrong'
    If the guy can do tender drawings and spec for builder pricing for 500€ - then more power to him. A Qs would almost cost you that for pre-planning budget costing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Why tender before planning OP?

Surely you would wait until after you have received planning permission and made any changes requested by the planners before tendering?

Other than that the prices seem very competitive.

This is the language used for the Tender piece - We will use this final design and specification to produce a complete tender listing all of the works required to complete the project along with the costs associated.

This amount of 500 is only payable if we don't go ahead with the construction with this company.

• Advertisement

Ahhhhhh - that puts a very different slant on it.

So this is a company that is hoping to sell you a fully finished constructed extension. The planning and design fees could be seen as a "loss leader" in this case.

Also - they shouldn't call it tender drawings because they propose that the project is not being tendered - they should be preparing construction drawings.

I'd personally be very wary of this type of set-up OP. I'm sure it can work fine with reputable companies but they almost "have you" once it gets to a certain point - and also you are not receiving any independent advice from your own professional - your design is being prepared (and what about supervised?) by someone with a vested interest.

After they complete the tender docs would I not a then be in a position to get quotes from others for the build, that's my thinking.

You and everybody else who goes to them.

You can be sure they have a way of making it not worth your while or costly to do so.

For example who owns the copyright of the drawings they produce?

When interested contractors have questions about the specification or building details who answers them?

Who signs off on the design of structural items like the foundations, roof structure, etc.?

You and everybody else who goes to them.

You can be sure they have a way of making it not worth your while or costly to do so.

For example who owns the copyright of the drawings they produce?

When interested contractors have questions about the specification or building details who answers them?

Who signs off on the design of structural items like the foundations, roof structure, etc.?

Thanks, good questions for me to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

You will have to engage a structural engineer. Their price does not seem to include that. Price also depends on location. If I was to pay for a planning application for such a size of extension I would expect to pay minimum 1800. Then same again for supervision including structural engineer detailing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Definitely seems the wrong way around..................Tender & Planning packs normally between €1000 to €3000....with Initial Design Schemes €1000
    or less in many cases

[QUOTE=xabi;100258287
    • Sketch plans & Specification
    • Design meetings
    • Revisions and amendments
    €1,250

• Detailed specifications
    • Tender documents
    • Tender meeting
    €500

• Final drawings and application
    • Site notice & newspaper notice
    • Lodge planning application
    €600[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

xabi wrote: »
    This is the language used for the Tender piece - We will use this final design and specification to produce a complete tender listing all of the works required to complete the project along with the costs associated.

This amount of 500 is only payable if we don't go ahead with the construction with this company.

If this had been explained up front then the discussion could have been more focussed from the beginning.:(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ryanciaran

Im building a 40 sq M extension and modifications to existing bungalow. My engineer has done all drawings, planning app which has just been approved and is doing construction drawings and will oversee and sign off the job for €4000 excluding VAT. He is a very reputable engineer

Advertisement