Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Span Carbon Forks

Options
  • 05-07-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Looking at a 10 year old Trek 1500. I know they have carbon forks and bar checking for any noticeable damage I'd be concerned about buying an old bike with carbon forks.

Any idea how much to get a cheap replacement - even alu?

Or am I just being a clueless idiot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They don't generally have a specific lifespan. It's not like carbon degrades over time and becomes dangerous. Check them over and if they're solid and free from cracks or missing chunks then your good to go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd be more worked about aluminum of that age (newer higher spec aluminum doesnt creep like the old stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Carbon forks do age, becoming less stiff with time due to delamination of fibers on a micro level. Ive seen some study on this being quoted on the Internet... I dont know if there is any increased risk of catastrophic failure due to this, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »
    Carbon forks do age, becoming less stiff with time due to delamination of fibers on a micro level. Ive seen some study on this being quoted on the Internet... I dont know if there is any increased risk of catastrophic failure due to this, though.

Up until recently only carbon frames came with like time warranties from some manufactures. More recently some aluminum frames come with like time warranties. Either way I'd probably take a 10 year old carbon frame compared to an aluminium frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

it looked like it had been dinged quite a few times and I saw some flaking at the top so I decided to pass!.. Thanks for coming back though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement