Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2016-2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The commentary on this will put a smile on your face:

VOLA, VOLA, VOLA!

Hard to believe they beat Edinburgh by that much and still left 2 or more out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

300 caps for Muldoon is an Irish provincial record, is it a Pro12 record? I assume its not a record over history or indeed in the pro era? High up there id say.

http://rugby.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeAppearances?comp_code=8217249

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

A look at Welsh Rugby via TheVietGwent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Winters wrote: »
    300 caps for Muldoon is an Irish provincial record, is it a Pro12 record? I assume its not a record over history or indeed in the pro era? High up there id say.

He was touted as the pro12s most capped player when he signed his new contract earlier in the year so I presume it is.

EDIT: Here it is.
    The Portumna man made his senior debut in 2004 and has since played 291 times for his home province, including 66 European games. The highest capped player, both for Connacht and in the PRO12 championship, the 34-year-old has started 16 of Connacht’s 17 games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Vernon Cooper has well over 300 appearances for Llanelli. They had a proper domestic league prior to the introduction of the Celtic League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

I was peeking around that site looking at stats and thought the appearances by nations stats were interesting. Particularily that Italy have had 10 more players playing in the Pro12 than Scotland

phog wrote: »
    A look at Welsh Rugby via TheVietGwent

Those blogs are fascinating. Enjoyed the reference to the BT Sport money.

Sad thing is that we need Welsh rugby to survive and be strong. Doesnt look like there is a solution at the moment and I wonder how far Welsh rugby really is from a tipping point as the blogger put it.

An idea to add the two axed SA Super Rugby teams to the Pro12

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ex-administrator-wants-sa-super-rugby-teams-in-pro12/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, South Africa's castoffs are exactly what we need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah yeah, slightly more glamorous than the Currie Cup, slightly less glamorous than super rugby, with the season completely in the wrong place.

Could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

An idea to add the two axed SA Super Rugby teams to the Pro12

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ex-administrator-wants-sa-super-rugby-teams-in-pro12/

stone-cold-laughing.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

molloyjh wrote: »
    VOLA, VOLA, VOLA!

Hard to believe they beat Edinburgh by that much and still left 2 or more out there.

I was watching this with my 3 year old beside me and she just started saying Vola Vola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Akrasia wrote: »
    I was watching this with my 3 year old beside me and she just started saying Vola Vola!

They sound like great craic.. (the commentators, not 3-year olds, though I'm sure they are too!). I'd listen to them commentating on a Munster game any day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ah yeah, slightly more glamorous than the Currie Cup, slightly less glamorous than super rugby, with the season completely in the wrong place.

Could work.

To South Africans The currie cup is just below super rugby,currie cup is what they are all dreaming of playing when in school,not the Mickey Mouse Pro 12

Bigbok wrote: »
    To South Africans The currie cup is just below super rugby,currie cup is what they are all dreaming of playing when in school,not the Mickey Mouse Pro 12

Sounds like there are some South Africans who have big dreams of playing in Pro 12 anyway!

errlloyd wrote: »

Could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yes and in Ireland none of us ever dreamed of playing in the currie cup. That's more a statement of geography and nationality than quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

If you hate Ireland and Irish rugby so much one would wonder why you post on an Irish rugby forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He's come back to name the 15 South African backrow players who would make the Lions squad

Teferi wrote: »

If you hate Ireland and Irish rugby so much one would wonder why you post on an Irish rugby forum.

Attention. And there's one way to address that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

300 south african rugby players really followed their dreams and left for europe and japan didnt they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Teferi wrote: »

Because​ he has an insatiable compulsion to come crashing into a thread like the ****ing Bokke Kool Aid guy any time something with even tenuous links to South African rugby is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bazzo wrote: »
    Because​ he has an insatiable compulsion to come crashing into a thread like the ****ing Bokke Kool Aid guy any time something with even tenuous links to South African rugby is mentioned.

When he's triggered:

giphy.gif

Ah here stop with the ****,I never mentions anything about Irish rugby I just said that for South African players it's an honour and dream to play in currie cup!the reason some tend to come to Europe or Japan is money not rugby standards!!!

Ah here stop with the ****,I never mentions anything about Irish rugby
    not the Mickey Mouse Pro 12

:pac:

Ah here stop with the ****,I never mentions anything about Irish rugby I just said that for South African players it's an honour and dream to play in currie cup!the reason some tend to come to Europe or Japan is money not rugby standards!!!
    MLQx2kD.gif
    the Mickey Mouse Pro 12

What is it?

giphy.gif

It's a parody.

It is isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fixtures have been announced for the Pro12 Semis.
    Leinster will play on Friday 19th May @ 7:45
    Munster or Scarlets (almost definitely Munster) will play on Saturday 20th May @ 6:15.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bit risky putting the Munster game on the Saturday, there might be some communions on in the city that day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fixtures have been announced for the Pro12 Semis.
    Leinster will play on Friday 19th May @ 7:45
    Munster or Scarlets (almost definitely Munster) will play on Saturday 20th May @ 6:15.

Feck anyways! This is the 2nd time this year that a game is clashing with a play I agreed to go to with the missus, last one being the Toulouse game.... I really should start checking dates before I agree to anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There's some big games this weekend. Result of Ospreys v Ulster and Connacht v Scarlets will have big say in deciding who makes play-offs. Munster and Leinster pretty much guaranteed home semis at this point. Ulster can make playoffs, effectively guaranteeing one Irish team will make the Final in Dublin. Connacht are guaranteed 1 of the 2 playoff places but their ranking decides whether they are playing top14 team or premiership team. Interesting times!

Eod100 wrote: »
    There's some big games this weekend. Result of Ospreys v Ulster and Connacht v Scarlets will have big say in deciding who makes play-offs. Munster and Leinster pretty much guaranteed home semis at this point. Ulster can make playoffs, effectively guaranteeing one Irish team will make the Final in Dublin. Connacht are guaranteed 1 of the 2 playoff places but their ranking decides whether they are playing top14 team or premiership team. Interesting times!

Leinster have a home semi already sown up. Munster bar some unlucky maths are the same. The only thing that might change is who is first or second seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Edinburgh got tries in the 77th and 82nd minutes to beat the Dragons 24-20.

Dragons now need to beat Cardiff next week or they will finish 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,109 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ulster more or less out of the running now

Could an Irish vs Welsh/all Irish or all Welsh final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ulster more or less out of the running now

Could an Irish vs Welsh/all Irish or all Welsh final

hmmm

Irish v Irish - Cheer Munster but would get over it if Leinster won
    Irish v Welsh - cheer whichever Irish side was in the final
    Welsh v Welsh - emigrate

• Advertisement

BBDBB wrote: »
    hmmm

Irish v Irish - Cheer Munster but would get over it if Leinster won
    Irish v Welsh - cheer whichever Irish side was in the final
    Welsh v Welsh - emigrate

I'd bet my house on a Munster v Leinster final tbh. I'd probably only bet my car on the result of that though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

IT's quite amazing that there hasn't been a single away victory in the semi finals since they were introduced in 2010. Given Leinsters history with the Ospreys in the playoffs I sincerely hope we avoid them this year! :pac:

thelad95 wrote: »
    IT's quite amazing that there hasn't been a single away victory in the semi finals since they were introduced in 2010. Given Leinsters history with the Ospreys in the playoffs I sincerely hope we avoid them this year! :pac:

I'd rather Ospreys than Scarlets. Scarlets are a much better team based on recent performances though I think Ospreys have a superior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Paddy Power is still offering odds on Warriors to lift the trophy, even though the only way they can get their hands on it is if they steal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's disappointing that we effectively have five dead rubbers out of six on the last day. The Italian derby is the only game with anything really riding on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Given what happened earlier in the season I'd say the Scarlets would fancy their chances at Thomond Pk.

I can't see anyone beating Leinster at the RDS though and to be honest I can't see anyone beating them full stop, not even Munster at the Aviva.

It's disappointing that we effectively have five dead rubbers out of six on the last day. The Italian derby is the only game with anything really riding on it.

Well there is a shootout between the Scarlets and Ospreys to avoid a trip to the RDS in the semi final.

Yeah there's only 1 game with win or bust stakes, but there are 3 other games with league position and play off fixtures to be decided. I know it's not much but it's still not all done and dusted yet. There are only 2 games that are completely inconsequential. The Scottish derby and Cardiff-Dragons.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah there's only 1 game with win or bust stakes, but there are 3 other games with league position and play off fixtures to be decided. I know it's not much but it's still not all done and dusted yet. There are only 2 games that are completely inconsequential. The Scottish derby and Cardiff-Dragons.

Presumably there will be Scottish tour places up for grabs in that Edinburgh Glasgow game so while it means nothing in the context of the league it should still be a full blooded game.

bilston wrote: »
    Given what happened earlier in the season I'd say the Scarlets would fancy their chances at Thomond Pk.
    They might but a lot of rugby has been played since then! Think Munster would get the win alright but could be tight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They might but a lot of rugby has been played since then! Think Munster would get the win alright but could be tight

That game was also during the 6N (day before the France game), so we were missing a load of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

bilston wrote:
    Presumably there will be Scottish tour places up for grabs in that Edinburgh Glasgow game so while it means nothing in the context of the league it should still be a full blooded game.

It's also the 2nd leg of the 1872 cup but hardly any chance of Edinburgh winning at all, nevermind by more than 13 points.

bilston wrote: »

Aye, I would still back Munster but the Scarlets would be a tough challenge would have a lot of belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst it's almost all dead rubber this weekend there's one game that is a winner takes all affair.

Zebre are hosting Treviso. They're both on 19 points. Whichever side wins, finishes higher and claims the one Italian spot in next season's Champions Cup.

Might actually be the one game worth watching.

Buer wrote: »
    Whilst it's almost all dead rubber this weekend there's one game that is a winner takes all affair.

Zebre are hosting Treviso. They're both on 19 points. Whichever side wins, finishes higher and claims the one Italian spot in next season's Champions Cup.

Might actually be the one game worth watching.

Results of Munster and Leinster games decides who's 1st and 2nd. Scarlets v Ospreys decides who's 3rd and 4th. Might not be any change in current rankings but still undecided til games are over sure.

One of Italian teams could finish above Newport so be interesting result

• Advertisement
Advertisement