Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2016-2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The scheduling of the Pro 12 really pisses me off. It's 6 games a weekend so it's not difficult to avoid clashes. 1 on Friday night, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

I would love it if Sky got exclusive rights to the Pro 12. With an extended highlights show on free to air (like Match of the Day). Sky were brilliant when they had the Heineken Cup. Lots of matches, good coverage and heaps of hype. I think it would be great for the league.

And don't get me started on TG4 and their lack of an option to change languages!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The scheduling of the Pro 12 really pisses me off. It's 6 games a weekend so it's not difficult to avoid clashes. 1 on Friday night, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

there was a fan survey over the summer, Was the result of this ever published because sunday games pretty much limit the ability of anyone to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would love it if Sky got exclusive rights to the Pro 12. With an extended highlights show on free to air (like Match of the Day). Sky were brilliant when they had the Heineken Cup. Lots of matches, good coverage and heaps of hype. I think it would be great for the league.

And don't get me started on TG4 and their lack of an option to change languages!

The Welsh fought vehemently against Sunday matches and I don't think anyone wanted them really.

Sky getting exclusive rights wouldn't be good as TLS points out. They aren't going to be broadcast 4-6 matches a week. The Heineken Cup was much different as it wasn't every week and covered a much bigger market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sides don't like Sunday games and Sky having exclusive rights means less games on tv and smaller audiences than games on free to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sides don't like Sunday games and Sky having exclusive rights means less games on tv and smaller audiences than games on free to air.

To be honest, I don't give a **** if sides don't like Sunday games. They are professionals so they can play when it suits the broadcasters. A lot of teams don't like night games but they have to play them.

I think Sky would be great as an exclusive partner for the Pro 12. Do you think that European rugby was better when Sky had exclusive rights or is better now that it's split with BT? Sky has lost quite a few rights recently (the ERC, Premier League, Champions League) if they got the Pro 12, I believe that they'd promote it heavily and give it a lot of coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Do you think that European rugby was better when Sky had exclusive rights or is better now that it's split with BT? .

i think European Rugby was better when it was FTA...

south-park-s20e01c14-member-chewbecca-again_16x9.jpg?quality=0.85&width=295&height=165&crop=true

To be honest, I don't give a **** if sides don't like Sunday games. They are professionals so they can play when it suits the broadcasters. A lot of teams don't like night games but they have to play them.

I think Sky would be great as an exclusive partner for the Pro 12. Do you think that European rugby was better when Sky had exclusive rights or is better now that it's split with BT? Sky has lost quite a few rights recently (the ERC, Premier League, Champions League) if they got the Pro 12, I believe that they'd promote it heavily and give it a lot of coverage.
    Clubs don't like them as it affects attendances and that's the reason they don't like them. Munster don't want Friday night games of course they have to play them but you don't play games at times if most teams can use others that are more preferable. Sunday games don't suit so they wont be used bar when they have too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you wake up on a Sunday morning and you have to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running around, you have to mow the lawn, wash the car, and now watch 2 rugby games....Sunday, Bloody Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Welsh fought vehemently against Sunday matches and I don't think anyone wanted them really.

Sky getting exclusive rights wouldn't be good as TLS points out. They aren't going to be broadcast 4-6 matches a week. The Heineken Cup was much different as it wasn't every week and covered a much bigger market.

I would accept fewer live games provided there was an in depth Match of the Day style highlights programme. So even if your teams game wasn't on, there would be a good 10-15 mins of highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Does bbc wales (scrum v) have a highlights show?

Btw if anyone is looking for highlights subscribe to Pro12 on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Treviso have beaten the Dragons 27-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

good win for Treviso

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

After these last 2 games I'm not so sure Glasgow are certainty's to make the play offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does bbc wales (scrum v) have a highlights show?

Btw if anyone is looking for highlights subscribe to Pro12 on Youtube.

I don't know any on youtube, but there's a good podcast called The Eggchasers that reviews the weekend premiership, pro12 and ERC rugby matches every week

zebre 21-23 cardiff with few minutes left

4 rounds in and to me when at full strength Leinster, Ulster and Munster are the best sides in the league. Leinster and Ulster in particular are looking good, but Munster have a bit of dog about them and they have their talisman POM to return. Ulster have Coetzee and Leinster SOB to come in/back which will make those sides much stronger. The Inter Pros will great this year. Shame Leinster v Ulster isn't at the Aviva.

I thought it at the start of the season but I honestly think the provinces could have a good season this year. Hopefully the Pro 12 champions return to form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    4 rounds in and to me when at full strength Leinster, Ulster and Munster are the best sides in the league. Leinster and Ulster in particular are looking good, but Munster have a bit of dog about them and they have their talisman POM to return. Ulster have Coetzee and Leinster SOB to come in/back which will make those sides much stronger. The Inter Pros will great this year. Shame Leinster v Ulster isn't at the Aviva.

I thought it at the start of the season but I honestly think the provinces could have a good season this year. Hopefully the Pro 12 champions return to form soon.

I wouldn't agree that Munster are up there at all. They've been pretty average in fairness. It's far too early to make a call on that stuff yet. Who would have bet against the Ospreys making the top 4 before last night? And does last night really change everything for them? Munster may well make the required improvements, but then so might Connacht. Glasgow have had a far tougher fixture list so far than Munster too don't forget.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that Munster are up there at all. They've been pretty average in fairness. It's far too early to make a call on that stuff yet. Who would have bet against the Ospreys making the top 4 before last night? And does last night really change everything for them? Munster may well make the required improvements, but then so might Connacht. Glasgow have had a far tougher fixture list so far than Munster too don't forget.

Last night sort of does because it was there first hard match of the season. Even for 60 odd minutes vs Connacht they didn't look too shabby either.

Munster have a pack that will be a match for anyone in the league and will be a match for anyone even if they aren't nice to watch.

After that Cardiff result maybe we didn't give Zebre enough respect after last weeks half time score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Munster match ending nearly 4 hours ago and the Pro12 website hasn't updated yet.
    That new site is crap.

Perhaps a stupid question but are there no Sunday matches this season?

Vaguely recall fixtures for first half (ish) of season and only 2-3 sunday games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just one at the end of November.... Dragons v Edinburgh. Some around Christmas/New year, but those are funny weekends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I watched the entirety of all 4 games involving the provinces this weekend.

What really, really stood out to me was how poor the general standard of play is.
    I mean it's startlingly bad.

This pro12 product is a tough sale.

kuang1 wrote: »

What really, really stood out to me was how poor the general standard of play is.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Thought the Ulster Glasgow game was a superb spectacle of rugby.

Similarly Leinster Ospreys was a ferocious contest and played at an extremely high tempo until into the second half. Connacht are in trouble at the moment for sure but I have faith they will turn it around. Munster won ugly at the very least and have room to improve.

I'd say both Leinster and Ulster have a good chance of being competitive in Europe this year.

• Advertisement

What aloud of bull, you clearly didn't watch all of the matches if you've come to this conclusion.

I only watched Glasgow v Ulster but it was an excellent game of rugby! Hoping to catch the highlights of the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Couldn't disagree with you more. Thought the Ulster Glasgow game was a superb spectacle of rugby.

Similarly Leinster Ospreys was a ferocious contest and played at an extremely high tempo until into the second half. Connacht are in trouble at the moment for sure but I have faith they will turn it around. Munster won ugly at the very least and have room to improve.

I'd say both Leinster and Ulster have a good chance of being competitive in Europe this year.

Ulster impressed me most. The refereeing in that game (particularly the first half) was atrocious.

I'd love to hear what any of the boardies from the SH think about the standard of rugby in the pro12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

TV coverage is very good with more live games than Aviva Premiership and most FTA. Even those covered live by Sky are usually shown later by TG4 or S4C. Only drawback is no HD for BBC Wales/NI/Scot/Alba. Otherwise very comprehensive and quality coverage.

Provinces/Regions don't want them.

• Advertisement

scrum v just mentioned that neither game in Italy this weekend had no TMO and the comms between ref and the assistants werent working. Shambolic.

Provinces/Regions don't want them.

So have they been done away with completely or just kept to a minimum? Or has there never been Sunday fixtures?

I remember a few Sunday matches towards the end of last season but I can't remember if it was a regular thing or not?

So have they been done away with completely or just kept to a minimum? Or has there never been Sunday fixtures?

I remember a few Sunday matches towards the end of last season but I can't remember if it was a regular thing or not?

S4C were showing a game most sundays at 2.30pm involving one of the welsh regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK there was a survey conducted through the regions either during last season or in the close season and responses showed no appetite for Sunday games so they are at a minimum this season i.e. during one of Autumn International weekends and over the Christmas /New year period. S4C have moved their Sunday slot from last season to saturday night this season. Don't forget that Sunday afternoon matches clash with Sky's 'Super Sunday' PL coverage so viewing figures probably weren't great either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Alan Solomons is gone.

Certainly Edinburgh have struggled to make much progress recently. It'll be interesting to see who is next up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Duncan Hodge replaces Solomons at Edinburgh
    Scottish Rugby ‏@Scotlandteam 26m26 minutes ago
    BREAKING | Duncan Hodge appointed Acting Head Coach of @EdinburghRugby after Alan Solomons steps down. More to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Steps down 2 days before Connacht game - sweet Jesus we need to win this one

Glasgow sign Langilangi Haupeakui
    Sky Sports Scotland ‏@ScotlandSky 9m9 minutes ago
    .@GlasgowWarriors have signed USA international back row Langilangi Haupeakui, subject to visa and medical, on a two-year-deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is that a tattoo on his neck?

Alan Solomons is gone.

Certainly Edinburgh have struggled to make much progress recently. It'll be interesting to see who is next up.

They haven't made much impact since the highs of Bradley (HEC semi-final) and Robinson (second in the Magners League). They were pretty woeful against Munster and Leinster recently so I can't say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They haven't made much impact since the highs of Bradley (HEC semi-final) and Robinson (second in the Magners League). They were pretty woeful against Munster and Leinster recently so I can't say I'm surprised.

Edinburgh got pretty fortunate with the draw in 2012 did they not? It's not that they were particularly brilliant that year. Finished second bottom of the pro12 too, wouldn't have got into the Heineken Cup again under the current rules.

awec wrote: »
    Edinburgh got pretty fortunate with the draw in 2012 did they not? It's not that they were particularly brilliant that year. Finished second bottom of the pro12 too, wouldn't have got into the Heineken Cup again under the current rules.

That is true, their group was very weak. They did beat Toulouse at home in the QF when Toulouse were still a strong side (they won the Top14 that season). Once their European run got going they phoned it in in the league. Thankfully with the qualification changes they can't do that anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »

They still managed to beat Racing home and away (48-47, what a match), Toulose at home, London Irish home and away. Not the hardest pool to top, but there was also no absolute crap in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That ERC run was their pinnacle, they never got going in the final unfortunately.
    They've been pretty awful for the last while, I seem to recall their last really decent performance was against Munster at home last year where they almost pinched it at the death.

From watching them since, you can't make sense of what their actual game plan is and the fans have turned on them quite quickly due to the loss in form, rudderless game plan and stadium move, they could be in big trouble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Still can't believe they wouldn't wait for EOS in 2011

McKenzie banned for two weeks
    Edinburgh Rugby ‏@EdinburghRugby 6m6 minutes ago
    FULL-STORY | McKenzie banned for two weeks under under Law 10.4(h) (k) – charging into a ruck and dangerous play: http://bit.ly/2dgEmo1

Cracker of a game in Wales.
    Dragons came from 3-16 down to winning 17-16 in just seven minutes. Only for Glasgow to score immediately again, 17-23 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Cracker of a game in Wales.
    Dragons came from 3-16 down to winning 17-16 in just seven minutes. Only for Glasgow to score immediately again, 17-23 now.

The prop sidesteps were a thing of beauty

That would be a major result for NGD, they're not the most stable club right now.

• Advertisement

Too many mistakes and brain-farts by the Dragons. Not even a losing bonus point this time.
    Second half started out great but it's been a poor game since the 50th minute onward.

17-26 to Glasgow.

Advertisement