Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit report from ICB

• 05-07-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I received my credit report and it has a loan on it from years ago (2004) which I never paid off. How long does this stay on my report? Or can it stay on it until I clear it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you have an unpaid loan, you have an unpaid loan. Why should it just disappear from a credit report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

There's lots of info here about how the rating is calculated but it doesn't say anything about a time limit for taking account of good or bad performances.

Also don't assume that paying back the loan now will automatically clear the negative impact on your rating:

You may have to explicitly ask the lender to remove it...and if you're 12 years late in making a payment, they may not be inclined to do so!

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

An unpaid loan will stay on your report until it repaid or frozen/written off. Once either of those two events happen, it stays on your report for 5 years.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/irish_credit_bureau.html

As your debt is quite old, you should contact the lender, and see if it has been written off (or not) - if it has, ask when was that done, and add on 5 years - if thats before today, then you can ask them (the lender) to remove it from your record. If not written off, then you are still liable for the debt.

Advertisement