Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant defy 1 disc or defy 0 rim?

Options
  • 05-07-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I'm just about to buy a Giant defy, the Defy 1 and 2 disc looks really nice but, I can buy the rim-brake version defy 0 for the same price.

I have one concern, it's easy to find wheel upgrades for the rim-brake Defy, but do you guys think it would be harder to get wheels for the disc version. The Defy disc 1 has mechanical discs, so I'm not sure if other disc wheel upgrades would work on that.

What would you guys do in my position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Defy 0 rim option all the way for me. With rim brakes you have access to a much larger parts market than with newer disc brake variants. For instance sometime down the line you might want to change the P-R2 WheelSet to something lighter. Additionally it's likely to be 1kg lighter than the disc alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Just an opinion:

I have hydraulic discs on my road bike, rim brakes on previous road bike and mechanical discs on my hybrid commuter.

I love the hydraulic discs, they are brilliant. Far better than rim brake imo.

On a wet day I am grateful to have mechanical discs on my commuter, on a dry day I would prefer rim brakes I think.

For myself I would not bother going with mechanical discs over rim brakes in the future, Hydraulic discs on the other hand I would be willing to pay the premium for.

Hydraulic discs modulate really well, mechanical not so much.

At least the mechanical discs I happen to have on the commuter, maybe they have come along a good bit since - mine are 6/7 years old I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I prefer hydro discs for commuting and rim brakes for fun rides.

I would not buy a bike with mechanical discs now that hydros are available. The rear brake in particular is very difficult to get nice feel in with a long cable run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have a Defy 1 disc, after a free upgrade from the rim brake Defy 1 when getting the bike. No doubt that even the mechanical discs perform better in the wet, and I am happy with them. Wheel and aero wheel upgrades are becoming available for disc brakes (think they are even on sports pursuit at the moment.)

However, next bike will be more race geometry and I'll be looking at rim brakes options for that one to give more options and save a bit of weight (Defy will become the winter/ training bike). Not sure I'm going to pull the trigger on wheel upgrades with that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Thanks all for the replies, think I'll probably go for the rims along with the upgraded gearset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have disc brakes on my current steed. Besides the obvious advantages of better braking etc, what I find very appealing is some of the less obvious advantages : 1). you're not wearing the rims of the wheels so in theory they should last much longer; 2) no brake pad residue so the wheels are always spotless and 3) the bike takes less than half the time to clean compared to the rim type because there is more clearance around the fork, rear etc. as there seems to be just less bits to collect the dirt. All in all, I'll never go back to rim brakes. I even got a file out and rounded the edges off the discs in case any fellow thinks I'm going to cut him in two!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have disc brakes on my current steed. Besides the obvious advantages of better braking etc, what I find very appealing is some of the less obvious advantages : 1). you're not wearing the rims of the wheels so in theory they should last much longer; 2) no brake pad residue so the wheels are always spotless and 3) the bike takes less than half the time to clean compared to the rim type because there is more clearance around the fork, rear etc. as there seems to be just less bits to collect the dirt. All in all, I'll never go back to rim brakes. I even got a file out and rounded the edges off the discs in case any fellow thinks I'm going to cut him in two!.

Yeah, there's pro and cons to both given the fixed budget. I wouldn't be unhappy with either to be honest, they are so close with the Defy 0 being lighter (which means very little to me on the daily commute with a big back pack, tubes, pump, lock etc).

Defy 1 Disc
    The brakes are better in the wet, you can also run 28s easily, the wheels and paint job look great, , can take fenders but, you get a 105 components.

Defy 0
    Ultegra components, easier to buy lighter wheels for it, easier to replace pads etc, calipers put a limit limit the tyre size.

Well I left it late, so the decision was made for me. No 0s or 1s left, so I went with the defy 2 disc. Hollingsworth Cycles had one left in my size.

I was a bit disappointed at first but can't fault it, lovely bike and just 1000 euro, even with the dreaded bike to work voucher! So for my commute its perfect. It looks like I can easily put 30s on it too.

I was going to hold out for the TCR advanced 2 (going for 1,600 euro), but after thinking about it, I don't think carbon would hold up to the people throwing bikes around in my work parking room.
    I will be looking at maybe picking up one of those for my pleasure bike later this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

youtheman wrote: »

2 & 3 are serious pieces of straw clutching!

• Advertisement
Advertisement