Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding router to UPC/virgin router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

That particular model is for ADSL, so it's not suitable.
    You want a version that is advertised as a 'cable' model, not for a 'phone' line.

If Argos is where you want to shop, this model is more suitable for what you want to do, but a bit dearer:
    TP-LINK AC750 Dual Band Archer C2 Cable Router

Alternatively, this is half the price and is probably better than what you have, though it's not dual band.
    TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

niallb wrote: »
    That particular model is for ADSL, so it's not suitable.
    You want a version that is advertised as a 'cable' model, not for a 'phone' line.

If Argos is where you want to shop, this model is more suitable for what you want to do, but a bit dearer:
    TP-LINK AC750 Dual Band Archer C2 Cable Router

Alternatively, this is half the price and is probably better than what you have, though it's not dual band.
    TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N.

Thanks, not that I want to shop in Argos just have to have one by Friday so have to go into Argos or pc world for one rather than online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What you probably want is an access point, not a router. I doubt Virgin would let you replace the entire router as this would involve configuring DOCSIS on the new device.

I don't think there's ever been a suggestion of replacing the Virgin router.
    Any of these devices can be connected to the original.
    They are 'cable' as in Ethernet cable.

An access point would work too, but a router is more flexible for the future.
    I have a TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N myself, and it can be configured to function as an access point or a router - you just connect the Virgin router to a LAN port instead of to the WAN port and follow the included instructions. The wireless signal strength on it is as expected for less than 30 euro, but it works fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you really want a strong Wifi signal buy an enterprise quality one.
    I recently got a Netgear Nighthawk. Not cheap but the wireless signal is excellent. It has three Large antennae and I can pick up the signal quite a way from the house.

I am in a rural area and the nearest property is some way away so there is no interference from any other wireless devices and no danger of mine interfering with any others.

• Advertisement

I agree with FSL that you need to increase your budget if you want to increase your range.
    The kind of access point I listed for your price is better used in addition to the Virgin router at the far end of your home for best coverage.

I'm also in a rural area and the house has a lot of external walls due to extensions over the decades.
    My main access points are Ubiquiti Unifi UAPs. They're available online or new on adverts.ie for a little over 100 .
    The price goes up for longer range or dual band versions.

@FSL, which model Nighthawk do you have? I haven't used them myself, but they get amazing reviews!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi have Upc/virgin router but wifi is shocking bad. Can I wire Ethernet from UPC router to below router and use instead for wireless? Is this effectively bridging? Picked one below as I don't want to spend a fortune on a router but any other in that price range that are recommended?

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4455015/Trail/searchtext%3ENet+gear+router.htm

Unfortunately VM do not support bridging and they only actually provide the facility on their new router/modem that they have only been issuing recently.

When you "bridge" you use the provided VM modem/router just as a modem and let the router which you attach to the modem do all the routing. Most people do this for the improved wifi performance of the separate router.

You can get a lot of good advice on this thread - its pretty long but worth a read.

Advertisement