Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a deposit back - no lease signed

Options
  • 05-07-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

Interested to hear people's thoughts on my situation, and suggestions on the best approach to take.

I paid a deposit on an apartment - despite having doubts about the landlord, and knowing there was a judgement mortgage on the property. I took a risk no doubt, but i had hoped to get as far as signing a lease in which case my tenancy would have been secured. The week before I was due to move in I received a text from the landlord telling me he was up in court in a couple of weeks as he had received a repossession order, but he would return my deposit if i wished. I spoke to him the following day, he seemed genuinely upset and apologetic, and he said he was getting some advice on his situation and would keep in touch. I rang him the following day and he asked to call him in the afternoon as he was going into a meeting about the property. He did not answer my return call later that day and since then ( a week ago) he has been ignoring all calls and texts, and i have called to his house - fairly sure he was there - and he did not answer the door. I have gotten advice from Threshold who told me to send a letter requesting the deposit back within 14 days, to follow up with a further letter after a week and and if this does not work to bring him to the Small Claims Court.

I have a receipt for the deposit, signed by the landlord, and the deposit was paid by bank transfer - so i have the landlord's bank details. The landlord is currently living in the property, so I know where to find him.

Would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience in a similar situation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hope you get it back but realistically you are reliant on the putative landlord's good graces as in law you are standing at the back of the queue. Under no circumstances should anyone part with a deposit to someone with an outstanding judgement mortgage. That is evidence not alone that he does not pay his debts but that his creditors have taken action to secure his available assets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Marcusm wrote: »
    Hope you get it back but realistically you are reliant on the putative landlord's good graces as in law you are standing at the back of the queue. Under no circumstances should anyone part with a deposit to someone with an outstanding judgement mortgage. That is evidence not alone that he does not pay his debts but that his creditors have taken action to secure his available assets.

How can a tenant know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How can a tenant know this?

I was responding to the comments in the original post; I agree that most times it would not be obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Have you tried asking your bank to reverse the transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Have you tried asking your bank to reverse the transaction?

The money has to be returned it can't be taken back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement