Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fly repellent for dogs

• 05-07-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭

My dogs are being irritated by flies, they are farm dogs and I suppose with them being in muck and dirt this makes them more attractable to the flies! They are really irritating to both me and the dogs! I'm wondering if there is any product you could get to keep the flies away from them? I know you can get stuff for cattle and sheep but never heard of anything for dogs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

only home made..use Avon's original bath oil Skin So Soft. You have to mix it with 5 parts water to one part SSS, put in a spray bottle, spray coat,avoid eyes,ears and muzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭DJ98

only home made..use Avon's original bath oil Skin So Soft. You have to mix it with 5 parts water to one part SSS, put in a spray bottle, spray coat,avoid eyes,ears and muzzle

How long does that work for?

you have to re-apply every day but one spraybottle will last about a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭DJ98

you have to re-apply every day but one spraybottle will last about a month

That won't cause any damage to the skin will it?

no, you only apply it to the fur.Presuming they are collies when you state farmdogs. Anyway, it will 'sit' on the fur's outer layer and the smell will repell the flies. (now, i don't know if it works on the wretched midges, they don't bother my lurcher). I use it cause if a bee or bumblebee buzzes to close to him he snaps at them. I don't want to hurt the bee, and I don't want to get him stung.it works on them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We have used home made fly/bug repellant of diluted Avon Skin So Soft too (its a bath oil so presumably is safe for human/animal use, although Ive heard the most amazing uses for this stuff!?!)

also natural oils to repel flies, Ive used citronella, heres how:

http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/using-natural-oils-to-repel-flies/

Or heres another natural one repellant, that I was given years ago:
    10 Lemongrass sticks
    4tsp cloves
    sunflower poil

Puree 3 ingredients together, boild past covered in Bain Marie for 1 hour, strain liquid off, put into spray bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Dogs don't like citronella, that's why it's used in anti bark collars.

Advertisement