Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

classed as dependant under 25?

• 05-07-2016 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

my 21year old daughter went to see social welfare officer today who told her she was a dependant until the age of 25 and she wanted details of parents income. I said to my daughter that I would have thought she was an adult in her own rights and she's over 18 - so I said to my daughter what about if you werent living at home and you had moved out ? surely then she be classed as an adult in her own right? - and she said, thats true , I never thought to ask her that. - regardless she still needs money as a 21 year old to buy food and contribute to bills and other bills to pay even though she is still living at home. - are the Social welfare right to treat her as a dependant until she is 25? - i dont know how it all works

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Up to and including 24 parental income is part of the means assessment and the max payment for jobseekers allowance is €100. At 25, parental income no longer gets assessed and the max is €144. At 26 she's assessed on her own and gets the max of €188.
    Exceptions include when they're supporting themselves, living with the grandparents (that trick gets used so often it can get an inspection), or have a family of their own.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

my 21year old daughter went to see social welfare officer today who told her she was a dependant until the age of 25 and she wanted details of parents income. I said to my daughter that I would have thought she was an adult in her own rights and she's over 18 - so I said to my daughter what about if you werent living at home and you had moved out ? surely then she be classed as an adult in her own right? - and she said, thats true , I never thought to ask her that. - regardless she still needs money as a 21 year old to buy food and contribute to bills and other bills to pay even though she is still living at home. - are the Social welfare right to treat her as a dependant until she is 25? - i dont know how it all works

playing devils advocate here,

the whole point is that if she is a dependant ,which she is if she is living at home and relying on you, her parent to provide for her, then the means test will show that you cannot afford to support you both.

if the means test shows you can provide for her then as her parent that is your duty, until she gets a job and is self sufficient.

if she is incapable of this she can apply for other payments.

i understand many will see her age and go jesus at 21 i was working down the mines paying my way etc etc and yeah i was too but the world has changed most 21 year olds are still supported by their parents now a days even if they are working.

boomerang children are very common as well however your daughter is a bit young to be considered one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

daughter got an 'emergency payment' today, going to come out of her dole or social welfare whatever it is - good job cause I havent got any money to give her, just about managing to keep myself! - as I say you would think after the age of 18 she would be an adult in her own right and not have to rely on her parents. and get the full rate what the 26 year olds get , its not like when she was a child and easier to feed and clothe etc she's her own person and has costs for travel and food and needs to contribute to bills and yes the odd time go out for a drink with her friends once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

daughter got an 'emergency payment' today, going to come out of her dole or social welfare whatever it is - good job cause I havent got any money to give her, just about managing to keep myself! - as I say you would think after the age of 18 she would be an adult in her own right and not have to rely on her parents. and get the full rate what the 26 year olds get , its not like when she was a child and easier to feed and clothe etc she's her own person and has costs for travel and food and needs to contribute to bills and yes the odd time go out for a drink with her friends once in a while.

Is she paying the full amount of rent that she would be paying if she lived outside of the family home?

apparently gonna be down €43 this week - her course worker said when she when it finished they could just pick up the social where it left off, turns out now its being treated as a new claim! - she not happy

• Advertisement

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Is she paying the full amount of rent that she would be paying if she lived outside of the family home?

not charging her rent bless her, she only getting €100 a week and out of that buying her own food and and travel / public transport and taking driving lessons and saving up for test along with other things what 21 year olds have to pay out for €100 a week dont go far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

not charging her rent bless her, she only getting €100 a week and out of that buying her own food and and travel / public transport and taking driving lessons and saving up for test along with other things what 21 year olds have to pay out for €100 a week dont go far

That was the point. You're expecting her to get the same as an independent adult but she doesn't have the same outgoings. Driving lessons are a privilege not a necessity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Exactly :)

So you are supporting her. Which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, but she doesn't need the money they way that someone not living at home would need the money.

She is dependant on you for rent purposes.

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Exactly :)

So you are supporting her. Which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, but she doesn't need the money they way that someone not living at home would need the money.

She is dependant on you for rent purposes.

True - but its good job isnt it, she wouldnt get far with €100 per week if she had to pay for rent somewhere out of that , although I suppose they would give some kind of rent allowance/extra money or something wouldnt they if she had to move out to somewhere wouldnt they?

Advertisement