Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech industry gangs up on European Commission, calls for cookie law to be scrapped

• 05-07-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

About time somebody took action against this annoying cookie warning spam, designed in Brussels, by arrogant unelected bureaucrats. If I was a citizen of an EU *.exit referendum country, this would be near the top of my drivers to vote for leave. It is almost as bad as the pop-up windows that appear to nearly cover the entire screen when one visits a site, created by thoughtless, dumb, moron, website owners/employees. They just annoy visitors - 99% of whom never view the content on the pop-up, and whose total focus is to hit the X icon or [ESC] key get rid of them.

The EU warning does nothing to foster privacy, personal data security or anything else. I don't understand why any website owner has accepted this nasty EU dictat.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/07/tech-industry-gangs-up-on-european-commission-calls-for-cookie-law-to-be-scrapped/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The cookie warning is there because EU states voted to put it there. They can easily rescind this.

You should emigrate to the UK and be free of this evil EU influence in your life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On the one hand, the EU is a leading advocate of Data protection and in numerous articles on the subject is cited as a leading exemplar of best practice. One the other, the cookie law can be construed as a piece of political theatre designed to show that something is being done, a kabuki theatre move to paraphrase Schneier.

Advertisement