Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advice needed! Ferry to France, border controls and driving licence check.

• 05-07-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

So I live in France these days but I've been dying to get my bike out here for the summers, only I need to pass my full test! I'm flying home tomorrow and have a test date for Friday. If I pass I'd like to take the ferry back to France on Saturday, as I'm back in work Monday! Problem is it will take the NDLS a week or two to add the category and I've literally just got 5 days off.

Is it acceptable to enter France with proof of having passed a test, and the NDLS receipt of application to add the category.

I'm worried because technically I'm fully legal I just won't have the card with me. NDLS let you keep or old card these days (returning it when the new one arrives) so I will have my full B, and also D1/D if that helps in anyway!

I'm only considering it because I have made the Rosslare/Cherbourg journey 8 times in a car and only ever passport checks, not licence. Have you had your licence checked arriving in France on a bike?

Advice anybody? is this a big enough concern that I should instead fly back to France and make another flying visit next month to get the bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

antonov225 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to enter France with proof of having passed a test, and the NDLS receipt of application to add the category.

Nope. You don't hold a bike license. You hold a learner permit, plus a certificate of competence. You do not hold a license, until your license arrives by post. That takes 8-10 working days from the date you submit the form at the NDLS centre.
    antonov225 wrote: »
    I'm worried because technically I'm fully legal I just won't have the card with me. NDLS let you keep or old card these days (returning it when the new one arrives) so I will have my full B, and also D1/D if that helps in anyway!

They allow you to hold on to your current license and learner permit until your new license arrives, when you are then expected to return the old license/permit. So, until the new license arrives you will hold your old license, and a bike learner permit. And, as I'm sure you know, your bike learner permit is not valid outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The above is all 100% right. Your permit isn't worth the paper it's written on outside Ireland and you don't hold the full entitlement until your application has been been fully processed and approved for issue.

I really wouldn't chance it. You would literally driving without a licence in France.

If you pass on Friday (best of luck, btw) and if your current full licence (and learner permit obviously) are both in date, then they will be copied and returned to you by the NDLS. Bear in mind that you'll need a new medical report to extend your group 2 categories (assuming your previous medical report doesn't already extend beyond 5 years from now). Remember that you are not meant to apply for a licence in Ireland if you are not resident here however, assuming the current address associated with your licence and permit here haven't changed and are still available to you (eg your parents house or a friend) then as long as the licence can be forwarded to you, then happy days.

The NDLS are open on Saturdays and you don't need a booking, you can just walk in (as early as possible).

Advertisement