Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 update failure

Options
  • 05-07-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm trying to solve a problem with an old Compaq Pressario. It was running horribly slow - taking about 10 minutes to boot to useable desktop. Safemode was fine. Disabled all the crap in Startup, ran virus/malware scans, uninstalled unused progs etc. No change.

Got the owner to back up personal data as I suggested restoring to factory setup. Did restore and system seemed ok - fast boot etc. Uninstalled the bloatware - fine. Started Windows Update. Had a few updates including SP1. Since then the system is back to being slow. Tried installing IE 11 (I know....but the owner rathers it) - wouldn't install. Tried 10 - same. Tried 9 - same!!!

Windows update just hangs at checking for updates. Tried the fixes suggested in here with no joy.

I'm now doing another restore just in case I made some blunder the last time but any suggestions on doing the updates this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Have you tried the roll up package for after SP1 - I'd mentioned it in this post.

It should get you up to April 2016 in patches at least. Then maybe some of the newer versions of shItE might come on OK. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

There is also this software to just download the full pack of updates (possibly to another computer) and then run them offline: http://www.wsusoffline.net/
    I've used it a couple of times and it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

FanadMan wrote: »
    Windows update just hangs at checking for updates. Tried the fixes suggested in here with no joy.

The Window update agent that shipped with early versions of Windows 7 is now obsolete. So you may need to update the Windows Updater first...

Microsoft Update Windows Agent Link
    FanadMan wrote: »
    Had a few updates including SP1. Since then the system is back to being slow.

I'd suspect that the hard drive is on the way out.
    I used to have an old version of "HD Tune" a small utility that would let you see the SMART statistics of a hard drive. So you could see the number of unrecoverable reads/writes etc it registered in it's lifetime. Not sure if there's still a free version.

Alternatively, suggest replacing the hard drive with an SSD drive to breath a bit of life back into the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Did the second restore and let it do all updates.....HP and Windows. Took bloody ages but I've now a happy computer and a happy owner :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Advertisement