Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wed 20:00: Wales vs Portugal Euro 2016Semi Final, WED 6th July, RTE2 & ITV

• 05-07-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

f-FAW20447Pages1_zpsk5hemkhr.jpg

Seems i was a lucky charm starting the QF match thread, here's hoping my luck continues

Ramsey will be a big miss but means he'll be nice and fresh for the final, Andy King should do a grand job though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Please put the date of the match in the thread title.

For a second I thought I'd missed the start of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ramsey is an absolutely huge loss for Wales. Saying that, Portugal don't look like a team that will put a team to the sword. I could see a tense 0-0, and you'd fancy Bale to come up with something special to win it.

I really hope they do it. They could potentially qualify for next year's Confederations Cup with a win tomorrow too, if the Germans beat France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hope Portugal win this.

The Brits will insufferable if they get to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I feel conflicted about this one. I think it would be an amazing story for Wales to get to the final but I've bet on Portugal to win the tournament.

Love to see Wales win this.

Great chance.

16/5 thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fingers and toes crossed for a Wales win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cracking tune to get the team revved up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Please Wales smash em to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Come on Wales, lets do it. This can be done.

Iechyd Da

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wales have every chance to make it to the final, Portugal are no great shakes. Or have they overachieved so far, and this is the end of the line?

Will Coleman come out and attack?

Ramsay is a big loss for them though.

I'll be cheering them on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm absolutely sick of Portugal boring the hell out of everyone in every tournament since 2004.

Plus I don't see what Wales have to fear, they really should get through here if they don't get dragged into the slow disinterested Portugal approach. Portugal will settle for penalties very early on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Come on wales. Portugal have been awful to watch. Nothing to fear for Wales even with Ramsey out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best of luck Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Please put the date of the match in the thread title.

For a second I thought I'd missed the start of the match.

The correct date would also be useful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

elefant wrote: »
    The correct date would also be useful :pac:

Fixed now, the excitement and nerves are getting to me

Sure we'll play as we have done all tournament, attacking play, no way will Coleman change that now, get at them early on, panic them a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Full time - Halftime

Portugal - Wales @40/1

worth a punt??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I think Wales might have the edge in this, just based on the fact Portugal have gone to ET twice so far, few of their players have knocks, and they just haven't looked very convincing.

Wales missing Ramsey is huge though.

I'm going Wales 2-1 in 90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

It will be interesting to see if Ronaldo's unyielding desire to be top dog produces a memorable performance from him tonight.

I imagine that insane trophy would mean more to him than than the mickey mouse one he picked up in May. Maybe, it will even inspire him to get more involved in build up play.

I personally would love to see a reducer from Bale on Rolando. That would be great. And wales to win that other thing that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I want Portugal to contine their win outside normal time policy. I like the idea of them winning it all with this.

Draw, with pens win for Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Wales 1, Portugal 0.

Gareth Bale to 'win' a penalty from a feeble Cristiano challenge, which he gets sent off for...followed by a wink to the bench from Bale.

But really, I actually think it could be a comfortable enough win for Wales, maybe 2 nothing. With a record number of petulant tantrums from "CR7".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sick of Portugal boring the hell out of everyone in every tournament since 2004.

Plus I don't see what Wales have to fear, they really should get through here if they get don't get dragged into the slow disinterested Portugal approach. Portugal will settle for penalties very early on..

I genuinely think this perception of "boring" Portugal comes from people not actually watching the games but just looking at the result and making a perception of the game based on that. In their group they attacked Iceland incessantly for 90 minutes but just kept missing chances, I didn't see the Austria game but their game with Hungary was a cracker. Defending wasn't great from either side but both sides really went at it, in the end Portugal settled for the draw as it was the logical thing to do given that it was enough to see them through.

The Croatia game was horrific but Portugal were still making more effort to attack and probably just about deserved their winner.

The last game against Poland was decent aswell with Portugal again being the more attacking side and the side more willing to take a chance to win the game. Look at all the balls they got into the box for Ronaldo and the chances they created for him. 90% of the time Ronaldo would take one if not two of the chances he got that night and it would have been a great triumph of attacking Portuguese football.

Obviously they haven't managed to win a game in 90 minutes yet but this has been more down to them failing to take their chances rather than them being boring. They've played a lot of attacking football just their star man hasn't managed to find his finishing boots yet (apart from the Hungary game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has Ronaldo ever actually shined in an international tournament? Don't think he has, sure he's had the odd good game but there's not been one tournament that he's been in where he's been excellent, good even, in every game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

scudzilla wrote: »
    Has Ronaldo ever actually shined in an international tournament? Don't think he has, sure he's had the odd good game but there's not been one tournament that he's been in where he's been excellent, good even, in every game

2004 is the last one I remember.

2-1 Wales. Bale to go on a crazy run in the 93rd minute, nutmeg CR7 (twice) and stick it in the back of the net. Aaron Ramsey's absence is a concern though.

CmraQvqXYAAQZbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I genuinely think this perception of "boring" Portugal comes from people not actually watching the games but just looking at the result and making a perception of the game based on that. In their group they attacked Iceland incessantly for 90 minutes but just kept missing chances, I didn't see the Austria game but their game with Hungary was a cracker. Defending wasn't great from either side but both sides really went at it, in the end Portugal settled for the draw as it was the logical thing to do given that it was enough to see them through.

The Croatia game was horrific but Portugal were still making more effort to attack and probably just about deserved their winner.

The last game against Poland was decent aswell with Portugal again being the more attacking side and the side more willing to take a chance to win the game. Look at all the balls they got into the box for Ronaldo and the chances they created for him. 90% of the time Ronaldo would take one if not two of the chances he got that night and it would have been a great triumph of attacking Portuguese football.

Obviously they haven't managed to win a game in 90 minutes yet but this has been more down to them failing to take their chances rather than them being boring. They've played a lot of attacking football just their star man hasn't managed to find his finishing boots yet (apart from the Hungary game).

Absolutely spot on, portugal had more attempts on goal than any other team in tge group stage, they were then underdogs against everybodys dark horse in croatia and defended brilliantly to beat them. The were the only team trying to win in the normal time against poland too.u

Portugal have top players and are being ridiculously underrated by a lot of people, I expect them to dominate midfield and win tonight, Ramsey loss is massive, he has been wales best player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd love to see Ronaldo have the chance to pick up a winners medal but by extension that means Pepe would get one too.

Hopefully Wales can get by them, they have nothing at all to fear anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wales are also missing Ben Davies, whose had a really good competition.

Still have a great chance though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Go on the Wales
    Would be great for Footie to see them in the Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Wales will do very well to get this to penalties.
    2-0 Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hoping Wales do it. It's making a mockery of that great English excuse of the lack of a winter break and the intensity of their league being the root of their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Come on Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hoping Wales do it. It's making a mockery of that great English excuse of the lack of a winter break and the intensity of their league being the root of their problems.

The English problem comes down to players not being as good as they think they are and not having the mentality for big tournaments. I'd say that a spell in the footballing wilderness would do the English team a world of good. As it is, they seem to take being at tournaments pretty much for granted. This is where Wales differ. First major tournament in decades so they're reveling in it as much as they can. On top of that, they also have a talented and tight squad. From an Irish perspective it's similar to Italia '90 except that Wales have a real cutting edge and therefore a means to hack their way right through to the final.

The Portuguese are another one of these wishy-washy European teams who can only sing when they're winning. They expect to win games and it comes as such a shock to them when it doesn't happen. The heads drop and finger pointing begins. Not inconceivable that if a squad like Belgium or Portugal actually had a real resolve they could pair that with the talent in their squads and be almost unstoppable, but it's not really ever happened for them. If Wales get at Portugal tonight, they can certainly do a job. Very unlikely, though, that Wales would be able to best the winner of France/Germany, but to get the final is a heroic road way beyond the current means of any of the other constituents of these islands and probably beyond them for some time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing how every game ends up back at England yadda yadda yadda, obsessed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

10/1 on Ronaldo having a "hissy fit"

pudzey101 wrote: »
    10/1 on Ronaldo having a "hissy fit"

Wrong way round? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

COME ON WALES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Shouting for Wales tonight.

If it's to be the year of the premieres and unexpected (Leicester, Iceland, Wales, etc...) we can't face Portugal in the final. Germany broke their Italian curse. Hopefully we'll break our German curse tomorrow. And I don't want Portugal to break their French curse in "our" final :P.

briany wrote: »
    The English problem comes down to players not being as good as they think they are and not having the mentality for big tournaments. I'd say that a spell in the footballing wilderness would do the English team a world of good. As it is, they seem to take being at tournaments pretty much for granted.
    I don't know what's the press like in UK & Ireland but in France, Hodgson gets huge criticism like unable to manage and find the balance of its squad. England do have many talented players. They look similar to us to be fair. But Hodgson don't seem to have found the way to make them play to the best of their potential. Unlike hopefully what Deschamps is starting to manage for us. We definitely progressed from the last WC anyway, at least in the way we play. Most entertaining and exciting French team to watch and support for 10 years! Jeez... 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Really hope Wales do it tonight but I fear the loss of Ramsey will make it very difficult. Portugal have been muck to get this far though so anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Really hope Wales do it tonight but I fear the loss of Ramsey will make it very difficult. Portugal have been muck to get this far though so anything is possible.

Is that based on watching the games or just rolling with what the media are saying. They've been anything but muck, one bad game against Croatia (who were far worse) does not make them muck

A lie told many times over and over is still a lie.

With that said, I really hope Wales can prevail tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is that based on watching the games or just rolling with what the media are saying. They've been anything but muck, one bad game against Croatia (who were far worse) does not make them muck

A lie told many times over and over is still a lie.

With that said, I really hope Wales can prevail tonight!

I actually thought Portugal were very entertaining to watch in the group stages, but have become more defensive in the knockouts. Regardless, Wales have nothing to fear here and it'll be fantastic if they go through.

• Advertisement

COME ON WALES!!

You get your free Bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

mansize wrote: »
    You get your free Bud?

*hic*

Freewhatnow?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

iroced wrote: »
    Shouting for Wales tonight.

If it's to be the year of the premieres and unexpected (Leicester, Iceland, Wales, etc...) we can't face Portugal in the final. Germany broke their Italian curse. Hopefully we'll break our German curse tomorrow. And I don't want Portugal to break their French curse in "our" final :P.

Well they actually still haven't beaten Italy in normal playing time in a major tournament so the curse continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Irony is when a Liverpool posters post this, yet has no problem bringing Man United into every thread. But hey! Double standards :pac:

Anyway,

Really hope Wales do it. Fancy Bale outshine Ronaldo tonight. Even better if it was a Free Kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Exactly. It's so dull.

Anyway, come on Portugal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Really hoping Portugal do it

Two of my all time favourite players in Pepe and Ronaldo winning would make my summer

Been cheering on Wales the whole tournament so if they do go through I wont be to devastated

But tonight Im all Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Really hoping Portugal do it

Two of my all time favourite players in Pepe and Ronaldo

Why Pepe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

A full strength wales should win...but with Ramsay and Davies missing this game is pretty even i think

I really should learn this song! I hear it enough!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement