Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wed 20:00: Wales vs Portugal Euro 2016Semi Final, WED 6th July, RTE2 & ITV

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portugal are possibly the least deserving team I've ever seen get to a major tournament final.

Let Iceland back into the game and couldn't break them down for most of the game.
    Dominated against a terrible Austrian performance but couldn't score
    Conceded three goals against an average Hungary side, again failing to win.
    Defended well against Croatia but both teams were very poor and got through with a very late goal in extra time after creating nothing for almost 120 minutes.
    Got a jammy goal from a deflection in another poor performance against Poland before eventually winning on penalties.
    Today was probably their best overall performance but still with the exception of the first 15 minutes of the second half they didn't look like European cup finalists.

Strongly disagree.

They were all over Iceland and frankly battered them and only a Ronaldo penalty hitting the post denied them all 3 points.

They again battered Austria and it was extraordinary they didn't win.

The Hungary game was their poorest of the tournament but they showed great character to keep coming back - this is a team that hasn't lost a competitive game under its current manager.

They were the better team against Croatia - many people's dark horse pick.

They were the better team against Poland and Ronaldo was denied a stonewall penalty in the first half; also it was the Poles who played for penos in the end so I'm not sure why people on this thread assumed Portugal would be playing for them.

And they were the better team tonight.

Portugal are worthy finalists, and over 90 minutes in a final, with one of the world's best players, anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I hope Portugal go on and win it now. Great football tradition in recent years and punch above their weight when you consider there population.
    So do I, four years ago I thought they were outstanding against Spain in the semi final before going out on penalties. They were the only team who matched Spain at Euro '12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

How can people slate Ronaldo..

Only player to play in 4 euro semi finals

Only player to score in 4 separate Euros

No one has scored more Euros goals than him

Most appearances at Euros

Interesting too, Portugal have played more Euros games than any team in history, and 4th consecutive semi

Anyone else notice both teams were in away kits, why was that

That was the away semi-final next one is the home semi so both teams will wear their home jerseys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Interesting too, Portugal have played more Euros games than any team in history, and 4th consecutive semi

Knocked out by Germany in the quarters in 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Germany raped Portugal at the World Cup only 2 years ago. They've too much physical power for them if they beat France IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The same accusations could be levelled at Bale tonight. Thought personally he was trying to make it a one-man show, and was over selfish at times

No, it couldnt Bale had no-one else. He used the others as best he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hard luck Wales, but your team did your country proud.

No one will be dismissing Wales in the future and you have bragging rights over all your neighbours.

Bragging rights over who? England? England beat wales in their group game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Air Ronaldo. Ive seen "hang in the air" being dispelled as a myth before, a deceptive style of jumping. I dunno what it is he does, but i've never seen someone who can get as high and hang there as he does consistently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Why single out Keane when Lee Dixon and Bellamy spoke before him, and also said Wales never turned up

Well because that wouldn't be the cool thing to do. You've heard the phrase band wagon right?

There are sheep and their are shepherds, sadly this world is populated mostly by the sheep.

Baaaaaaaa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone else see parallels to Portugal being beaten hosts in 2004, and it potentially going full circle and France being beaten hosts this year?

Portugal entered Euro 2004 with a much-maligned/under-whelming strike-force (Pauleta, Nuno Gomes, Helder Postiga), but with talent sprinkled elsewhere (Figo, Rui Costa, Deco, Costinha, Carvalho), and an emerging star (Ronaldo).

See France 2016: much maligned strike-force? Check (Gignac, Giroud). Talent sprinkled elsewhere? Check (Payet, Greizmann, Kante, Coman, Lloris). Emerging star? Check. (Pogba).

Portugal to silence the hosts on Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a bridge too far Wales tonight, they looked tired & leggy and Bale was way off the mark some of his passes were woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

All this portugal are a bad team talk is ridiculous.

Seems " average " is the in thing to call a team now if they dont play like barca or are not one of the all time greats.

Portugal have been tactically brilliant while being defensivly rock solid in the knockout stages. They also have the top player in the ttournament and have champions league winners and top league winners all over the team. Average team, bull****.

i thought Portugal played very well tonight

as Dunphy said "they're a tough nut to crack and give you nothing"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Seems harsh to call them average, but wrong to call them good.

averagely good ?

They're is something a bit...disjointed about Portugal. They certainly haven't stamped any particular style on the tournament..but not sure any team has really. On the other hand, I'd like to see them win, if only because Ronaldo would finally get a major international medal that is due to him and a country that saw its golden generation in the early 00s miss out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Anyone else see parallels to Portugal being beaten hosts in 2004, and it potentially going full circle and France being beaten hosts this year?

Portugal entered Euro 2004 with a much-maligned/under-whelming strike-force (Pauleta, Nuno Gomes, Helder Postiga), but with talent sprinkled elsewhere (Figo, Rui Costa, Deco, Costinha, Carvalho), and an emerging star (Ronaldo).

See France 2016: much maligned strike-force? Check (Gignac, Giroud). Talent sprinkled elsewhere? Check (Payet, Greizmann, Kante, Coman, Lloris). Emerging star? Check. (Pogba).

Pauleta and Gomes were hardly under-whelming. They were quality for Portugal

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Air Ronaldo. Ive seen "hang in the air" being dispelled as a myth before, a deceptive style of jumping. I dunno what it is he does, but i've never seen someone who can get as high and hang there as he does consistently

He did a documentary a few years ago, (I think castrol oil sponsored it) it might be on YouTube, but they hooked him up to computers and stuff and got him to jump a few times. Scientists were basically saying he's a once off freak. He gets power out of muscles which no one else even uses for jumping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

tastyt wrote: »
    All this portugal are a bad team talk is ridiculous.

Seems " average " is the in thing to call a team now if they dont play like barca or are one of the all time greats.

Portugal have been tactically brilliant while being defensivly rock solid in the knockout stages. They also have the top player in the ttournament and have champions league winners and top league winners all over the team. Average team, bull****.
    How often have we seen Germany and Italy getting to a final "by just doing enough" We would all be full of admiration saying "typical" Italy or "typical" Germany but when Portugal do it by just doing enough they are a bad team.
    I really hope they can do it whether it be against France or Germany.

They certainly haven't stamped any particular style on the tournament..but not sure any team has really. On the other hand, I'd like to see them win, if only because Ronaldo would finally get a major international medal that is due to him and a country that saw its golden generation in the early 00s miss out.

oh good god no....can you just imagine his swagger if they win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Bragging rights over who? England? England beat wales in their group game.

You think Wales give a bollocks about losing to England knowing full well England lost to Iceland and Wales got to the Semi's?

Braggings rights are for the Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It's nearly impossible for England to ever have any bragging rights over Wales. Wales get a big pat on the back from fans and media for just reaching the Euros. England would need to reach a semi and either win it or go out valiantly to get even that level of praise.

It's nearly impossible for England to ever have any bragging rights over Wales. Wales get a big pat on the back from fans and media for just reaching the Euros. England would need to reach a semi and either win it or go out valiantly to get even that level of praise.

Exactly. If England was there instead of Wales tonight they'd have been booed off the pitch.

You think Wales give a bollocks about losing to England knowing full well England lost to Iceland and Wales got to the Semi's?

Braggings rights are for the Welsh.

Wales ranked 11th in world

England ranked 13th

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

He did a documentary a few years ago, (I think castrol oil sponsored it) it might be on YouTube, but they hooked him up to computers and stuff and got him to jump a few times. Scientists were basically saying he's a once off freak. He gets power out of muscles which no one else even uses for jumping.

I would presume something similar to a few NBA stars

Nate Robinson jumps out for example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Sh*t *p you :pac:!

How dramatically terrible it'd be for us to lose a home final against a team we enjoy beating since football began after finally getting over our Germany curse (and Sevilla 82 vengeance :p) :(...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Exactly. If England was there instead of Wales tonight they'd have been booed off the pitch.

If they'd played like Wales did last night then yeah probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my 2c.

Wales don't have a lot of great players. Ramsey is as important as Bale. Without him, Bale knew he was on his own in attack. You could see it by him, especially after the goal, trying to cover every position on the field.

They have a great team spirit, and a great leader in Ashley Williams, but their quality comes from those 2 main men, and without one, it becomes too difficult.

Portugal aren't great either, don't get me wrong. I could be writing the same about them if Wales had got the first goal. I could easily be writing how Pepe is one of their few top class players, and without him it's just too difficult. But the fact is, Portugal had more about them last night, and they had a superstar who delivered one moment of athletic brilliance from that corner to separate the teams.

Hindsight is wonderful, but the first goal really was everything. And because Portugal got it, it proved just how limited Wales are without one of their 2 best players. Without Ramsey, they hadn't a hope of linking the play quick enough up front to cause any problems. And there's no shame in that. They got to the fúcking semi finals of a major tournament. They should have the freedom of Cardiff for that sort of achievement.

Dour game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

fryup wrote: »
    a bridge too far Wales tonight, they looked tired & leggy and Bale was way off the mark some of his passes were woeful

Yeah i thought this too. They looked knackered in the first half. Some of Bale's passing was very poor. He gave the ball away an awful lot in the second half. The credit ronaldo is getting for delivering this team to the final is unreal though. If anything Portugal have become the team to beat because of the introduction Jose Fonte. He's been outstanding for them. Pepe back for the final too. As dunphy said, gonna be a hard nut to crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Heard Wales are heading home tomorrow- no 3rd/4th place play off in the Euros? Did they ever have one? Bit annoyed as I was looking forward to some Saturday night footie

Advertisement