Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Enterprise - Is it that Bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ondafly wrote: »
    finished this up last month - and I do miss the show now, however I really thought the last episode was a bit shoe horned but I guess they knew it was all coming to an end and perhaps was a bit of a rush job.

I'm now on DS9 :D - will post on that thread though !

The last episode never happened. It was a bad dream. It does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

The last episode never happened. It was a bad dream. It does not exist.

so bad infact - I still don't get why "Number 2" was watching the whole event unfold on the holodeck - like what did he learn from it all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ondafly wrote: »
    so bad infact - I still don't get why "Number 2" was watching the whole event unfold on the holodeck - like what did he learn from it all ?

How not to end a series.

Is the temporal cold war basically the Gary Seven ep from TOS in series form.

Would have been much better if it included Aegis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just finished Discovery recently on Netflix and don't realy get the hate for it. I really enjoyed it on my daily commute. The series finale, however, was like a petulant temper tantrum from the writers room on hearing that the show was cancelled.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just finished Discovery recently on Netflix and don't realy get the hate for it. I really enjoyed it on my daily commute. The series finale, however, was like a petulant temper tantrum from the writers room on hearing that the show was cancelled.

discovery or enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

bluewolf wrote: »
    discovery or enterprise?

My guess too.
    I'm guessing you mean ENT, since Discovery is probably going to continue.

Although your description did sort of hark back to how that last episode of Discovery felt. Kind of thrown together and in a bit of a rush. It was almost as if the writers were told that they have 20 mins to clear out the office, and were still typing furiously while being wheeled out the door. That's the feeling I got from the ENT ending too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm watching ENT through for the first time - just starting season 3. It's okay, it's definitely my least favourite of the Star Treks that I've seen though.

Haven't warmed to the characters as much as with the others. T'Pol and Reed in particular. I do like Archer though.
    I think the series was too constrained by canon, and the writers couldn't come up with a decent way around it.

And the updated theme tune is awful, awful, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

One of the biggest missed opportunities in the last episode of Enterprise is all the main cast are still serving on the Enterprise in the same positions for ten years. The same criticism applies to the other series but Enterprise has something the others don't, a six year timeskip with a pretty big war during it. It would have been a nice touch if the decommissioning of the Enterprise was an excuse to get the original crew back together from other posts across the fleet. It wouldn't have saved the episode at all but I think it would have been a nice touch

I think the series was too constrained by canon, and the writers couldn't come up with a decent way around it.

I got the feeling that when cannon got in the way, they'd just ignore it.
    Remember, these pre-Romulan War ships were only supposed to be armed with nukes? :D

A bit of imagination and effort could have gotten some new ideas without canon getting too much in the way. The ENT period was mostly a blank in Trek history beyond the Romulan War (which we never get to see).

Agreed, the theme is dire. What's worse is when they "jazzed" it up in an apparent attempt to improve it. Just made things worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

There's something else I wish they'd tried from the start of the series, have the Enterprise look less like a 24th century Federation starship. Maybe keep the saucer and nacelles design but have the warp coils and bussards in yellow and purple, have the weapons be green, and the hull be slightly brown. Then when you see the founding species of the federation's ships have them have nods to the classic look. Like the Andorians having blue warp coils and red bussards, the Vulcans having orange weapons and the Tellerites having the metallic/blued hulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Season 4 is bloody brilliant, with the exception of the last episode. In a Mirror Darkly is brilliant. I believe the series was handed over at this point, shame it wasn't sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's not the best ST , but at least if feels like Trek, unlike that awful new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bluewolf wrote: »
    discovery or enterprise?
    LOL, I've actually just binged both. Finished Enterprise and then followed up with the last 6 episodes of Discovery but I had meant Enterprise here.

I think the Enterprise crew were short-changed tbh. As someone who got into Star Trek with reruns of TNG I never warmed to DS9 (though I'm planning to revisit it) or Voyager and find TOS close to unwatchable.

Sure, the theme was awful, they got a bit hamstrung by canon and the finale was
    frankly insulting but there was a good sense of the crew actually being at risk, the newness of space exploration was a nice theme to follow and the relative lack of technology compared to most species they encountered had them at a tactical disadvantage an awful lot of the time. I liked that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching Enterprise (nearing the end of season 3 ATM), it's obvious just how ... tired, Star Trek had become at that point. The Xindi plotline is fine, but it's nothing special and half the time lacks any semblance of narrative urgency. The 'temporal cold war' stuff still pops up now & again, and in retrospect it's no wonder Riker eventually appeared in the finale, because the show never really managed to exist within its own timeframe really.

I'd say though the show would have been remembered more fondly had some time been spent actually writing human beings occupying the seats on the bridge, instead of the meat-puppets in boilersuits we actually got.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I'm watching ENT through for the first time - just starting season 3. It's okay, it's definitely my least favourite of the Star Treks that I've seen though.

Haven't warmed to the characters as much as with the others. T'Pol and Reed in particular. I do like Archer though.

Agreed it was terrible I just fast forward by that. I did not mind the theme tune before that do.

I have to say that Voyager is my least favorite. There was so much potential for it to be a great series and to be what TNG was meant to be but never was. To be way out exploring the unknown and not running back to a statbase every ten minutes when you get a scratch on you ship. That was the biggest failing of TNG but otherwise it sas a good show that you could watch anytime without having to worry about having to see every other episode to so you understand what is going on.
    The problem with Voyager was everything always seemed to be good and they always seemed to find a race or supplys. They never ran out of photon torpedoes or shuttles for instance and when it came to making the Delta flyer sure no problem they are the only Federation ship in the Delta Quadrant. Sure just replicate everything for it as if that would not use up a lot of there energy.
    It was a missed opportunity and it became sexed in space. I did like Voyager the ship do I still remember the first time seeing it and going wow what a cool ship.

Evade wrote: »
    One of the biggest missed opportunities in the last episode of Enterprise is all the main cast are still serving on the Enterprise in the same positions for ten years. The same criticism applies to the other series but Enterprise has something the others don't, a six year timeskip with a pretty big war during it. It would have been a nice touch if the decommissioning of the Enterprise was an excuse to get the original crew back together from other posts across the fleet. It wouldn't have saved the episode at all but I think it would have been a nice touch

That could have been cool alright.
    Rawr wrote: »
    I got the feeling that when cannon got in the way, they'd just ignore it.
    Remember, these pre-Romulan War ships were only supposed to be armed with nukes? :D

A bit of imagination and effort could have gotten some new ideas without canon getting too much in the way. The ENT period was mostly a blank in Trek history beyond the Romulan War (which we never get to see).

Agreed, the theme is dire. What's worse is when they "jazzed" it up in an apparent attempt to improve it. Just made things worse!

I never bought into that or that the Romulans of that era only had impulse drive engines myself. That case it would take them years to get anywhere they certainly would not have a huge empire in space without warp engines.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    LOL, I've actually just binged both. Finished Enterprise and then followed up with the last 6 episodes of Discovery but I had meant Enterprise here.

I think the Enterprise crew were short-changed tbh. As someone who got into Star Trek with reruns of TNG I never warmed to DS9 (though I'm planning to revisit it) or Voyager and find TOS close to unwatchable.

Sure, the theme was awful, they got a bit hamstrung by canon and the finale was
    frankly insulting but there was a good sense of the crew actually being at risk, the newness of space exploration was a nice theme to follow and the relative lack of technology compared to most species they encountered had them at a tactical disadvantage an awful lot of the time. I liked that.

Yes that was good and the fact they were quite ignorant and inexperience to how big space is and what was out there.

TOS has some really great stories. It is more about the stories now than the technology as you know we are a lot more advanced now in a lot of ways.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

First time a watched it, I vomited a little at the theme song every time. I really thought it was terrible stuff.

Second spin, I enjoyed it but the cgi was so bad. TNG was something in a region of 15 years before it and it had better.

The story was good but some of the characters like Reed and Mayweather just weren't in the show at all. They had names, went on away missions several times and didn't get killed but they were as memorable as Ro in TNG.

How someone looked at the footage of the Xindi all sitting at a table and didn't slap whatever 4 year old made it and hand it to a grown up who could actually do something, kinda ruined what could have been quite decent.

It was better than all the faulty holodeck episodes combined from all the franchise which combined probably has more episodes than Enterprise did.

LeBash wrote: »
    First time a watched it, I vomited a little at the theme song every time. I really thought it was terrible stuff.

Second spin, I enjoyed it but the cgi was so bad. TNG was something in a region of 15 years before it and it had better.

Oddly enough I get a similar reaction to the Discovery theme...although more to the point it drives my "cringe" senses beyond their normal limits.

Don't get me wrong, most of the Discovery theme is alright, but for some reason the tacked on flutter of "The Star Trek theme" near the end, just drives me up the wall. It just drives me up the wall with the cringe of it. I think I lasted 2 episodes before I automatically skipped over the intro for the rest of the season, and never watched it since.

You've got to love that the TNG intro was really just a copy and paste of the TOS intro (with Enterprise wizzing past), with the theme tune pilfered from the Motion Picture. And yet...it was a truly classic intro. No lyrics, no messing about, just exciting fan-fare and an Enterprise flying all over the shop. It was all you ever wanted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rawr wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, most of the Discovery theme is alright, but for some reason the tacked on flutter of "The Star Trek theme" near the end, just drives me up the wall. It just drives me up the wall with the cringe of it.

Couldn’t agree more. The theme should be allowed to stand on its own without latching onto past successes.

Advertisement