Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Bonus

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I recently decided to hand in my notice.

My bonus is not part of my official contract, however I have been informed that I am due to receive it prior to submission of my notice.
    My notice period runs until the first week of August and my bonus is due to be part of my July pay.
    Technically I will still be working for the company.
    Will I still receive my bonus as I will still be employed by them or is it likely that they will not give the bonus?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

My bonus is not part of my official contract, however I have been informed that I am due to receive it prior to submission of my notice.
    My notice period runs until the first week of August and my bonus is due to be part of my July pay.
    Will I still receive my bonus as I will still be employed by them or is it likely that they will not give the bonus?

Thanks for any insight.

I'd be surprised if you get it if it's not included in your contract terms. It's entirely up to them. If they're really pleased with all your work and you're leaving on great terms, maybe. If there's anything amiss in your performance or relationship with management, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Depends on the company, has a precedent been set?

Where I work we would get it. We get bonus in April for the previous year so it has even been paid when someone left in Feb or March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

depends on the company,

i wouldnt pay it.

a bonus in general is seen as a reward for the hard work and effort you put in and also as an encouragement to do it again next year.

you wont be there...

again though totally depends on the company. just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most companies won't pay out a discretionary bonus to any employee who is currently working out their notice period.

If you received official written notification that it had been awarded to you, then you have some leverage - the bonus has in effect already been given, it just hasn't been paid yet.

But equally they could issue you with official notice that the payment has been revoked. It's a discretionary payment and there is nothing binding the company to pay it out.

The only time they can't revoke it is when it's already in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Thanks for any insight.

If you are working for a large multi-national company then it will not be a decision per-se, it will be totally impersonal, the automated salary system will take care of payment or non-payment of the bonus based on its "rules".

I would expect that it would be paid in that case.

In an SME I would not expect to get paid the bonus as it is discretionary and paying it serves no benefit to the business as you are leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As said very much depends on the company. I'd say since its not contractual, the company might not pay it. Then again if your leaving on good terms and your work is appreciated, you might well receive it.

Where I work the Bonus stuff is a total nonsense and totally at odds with anywhere else I've worked. We have departments here that qualify for a % of their bonus payment by just working overtime : /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Definately depends on the company.

I missed out on a bonus in a previous job that would have been earned Jan-April, and to be paid in May because I handed in my notice before the May pay day and they had a policy not to pay anythnig extra during somes notice period!

Advertisement