Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monterey Cypress wood

Options
  • 05-07-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Have a very mature Monterey Cypress being felled in my garden next month. The tree surgeon is going to mulch anything which is of no use - and said he'll chop the trunk down for firewood.

That said - I've read that there's quite a nice grain, and being mature I'm sure the timber would be of use to someone. Have done quite a bit of googling without success - but am wondering if anyone on here knows of anyone who buys the trunk?

Quite obviously it would be nice to offset some of the cost of the felling - but I'd genuinely like to see it used for something more productive than burning.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What size is the trunk approximately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

What size is the trunk approximately.

Hi - it's roughly 2500mm in circumference.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Used for instrument making, guitar bodies and such.

Rapid growing tree. Cant say I,ve turned it all, although I have grown some
    large trees from seed, many years ago...............................

And now they overshadow anything else i have:D

kadman wrote: »
    And now they overshadow anything else i have:D

That sounds about right!

Well, if/when you cut it down.............make sure

you do not slice it all up into rings, and then try to sell it as woodturning timber.

Its of little use then.

Best to get it felled in as big a length as you can. Then go and find a buyer who

can see something that can be planked.

Its easy to saw it for firewood when all other avenues have been exhausted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Good advice above. Its a durable softwood and could be used for any outdoor construction including greenhouses. Keep the trunk as long as you can and advertise it. I can never understand the attitude of tree surgeons who chop everything up for firewood - we have a duty to conserve old wood imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are both sides of this fence on your property, with unrestricted access to the other side?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Are both sides of this fence on your property, with unrestricted access to the other side?

Unfortunately not, hence the reason its costing me a fortune to get it removed.

Edit - I should actually clarify that, both sides of the fence are my property - but there's no access on the other side. The fence cuts across my own garden as whoever put it up couldn't put it right at the end of our property due to this tree, and some other smaller whitethorn trees (which are staying) being in the way.

If both sides of the fence are your property. Then maybe take down a fence panel, and you now have

access from your side.

If there are any power lines in the vicinity of the tree.............then esb will take the tree down,

possibly free gratis.

Does the tree have a free area to fall, or is there something in the proximity

I dont understand the above but howsever.

Some math on the weight.
    Assumptions.

Seasoned Softwood is c 500kg/m3
    Tree is 2,500mm circumference so say 0.8m diameter
    so say 0.5m2 area
    so say 250kg per liner meter length seasoned.......
    or perhaps twice that when standing.......

So say a 3 metre length 1.5 tonnes......

• Advertisement

If both sides of the fence are your property. Then maybe take down a fence panel, and you now have access from your side.

Theres a brick shed on the opposite side belonging to neighbours - the fence will be coming down anyway, but not sure it afford us much space.
    If there are any power lines in the vicinity of the tree.............then esb will take the tree down, possibly free gratis.

No such luck :D
    Does the tree have a free area to fall, or is there something in the proximity

The guts of the trunk will come down into our garden, but the tree basically needs to be disassembled first.

How can you own the property both sides, but not have access.

You would be surprised what you can do with a cherry picker, and an extended pole saw.

I speak from experience after triming down a Macrocarpa to a manageable height.

What overall height is it 30-40ft??

How can you own the property both sides, but not have access.

You would be surprised what you can do with a cherry picker, and an extended pole saw.

I speak from experience after triming down a Macrocarpa to a manageable height.

What overall height is it 30-40ft??

A picture paints a thousand words - green area is my land, brown line is the fence - neighbours shed backs onto our garden.

Only access to the garden is a side gate at the side of our house. There will be three lads using ropes taking it down.

Tree is around 60-70ft.

Are the 3 lads insured tree surgeons. And if they are,

where is the cherry picker, and limb by limb disassembly by surgeon
    up the tree.

Proper directional felling, positions the tree, not 3 hardy lads pulling on ropes:D

kdevitt wrote: »
    A picture paints a thousand words.

Another one for the ignore list

Good man.

Are the 3 lads insured tree surgeons. And if they are, where is the cherry picker, and limb by limb disassembly by surgeon
    up the tree.

Proper directional felling, positions the tree, not 3 hardy lads pulling on ropes:D

Yep all insured. Have had 5 different companies out, 1 wouldn't quote, the other 4 all said they'd need to take is down limb by limb.

There's no access for a cherry picker however.

Anyway - thanks to those who had useful advice. Will look into how viable it is to sell on the trunk once its down.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

If you intend selling the trunk is it possible to access it for loading onto a trailer

If you intend selling the trunk is it possible to access it for loading onto a trailer

OP says no cherry picker access, and you can get a mantis cherry picker

into places you cant get a trailer.

• Advertisement

Nothing for it so except the three hardy bucks with ropes or a heavy horse to move it.

Red Bull

Advertisement