Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arduino on Linux

Options
  • 05-07-2016 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I have an old laptop that is very slow. I'm thinking of removing Windows 7 from it and running Linux on it to be used with Arduino.
    I don't intend to put anything else on the laptop apart from this.
    Is it something that is worth trying to do and how difficult is it to change from Windows to Linux?
    I have never tried anything like this before but know enough to follow instructions on how to do it.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Laptop will run faster with Linux, just get the lightest distro you can.

Its easy, download an iso, burn to a USB so its bootable and then boot the laptop into it and install, its super easy, as complex as installing windows

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

aido79 wrote: »
    I have an old laptop that is very slow. I'm thinking of removing Windows 7 from it and running Linux on it to be used with Arduino.
    I don't intend to put anything else on the laptop apart from this.
    Is it something that is worth trying to do and how difficult is it to change from Windows to Linux?
    I have never tried anything like this before but know enough to follow instructions on how to do it.
    Thanks in advance.

I have used arduino with Linux on a couple of distros*
    Linux and arduino are compatible with each other
    There is software and installation instructions for arduino Linux on arduino site.

I recently came across a distro called "Fedora" which has a robotics spin which comes with Arduino
    and host of other robotics/electronics software pre-installed and configured, Although i have never tried this ,
    just know of it so cannot recommend to a beginner at Linux or an old PC???
    https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/robotics/

I would recommend "Linux mint" or "Ubuntu" for a beginning at linux.
    Installing a Linux distro should be straight forward, some are easier than others

Let us Know
    What is type/spec of machine?
    Is it BIOS or UEFI?
    Do you want dual boot windows/linux or just 100% linux?

*Distro is a version of linux their are dozens of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Laptop will run faster with Linux, just get the lightest distro you can.

Its easy, download an iso, burn to a USB so its bootable and then boot the laptop into it and install, its super easy, as complex as installing windows

Thanks for that. Sounds fairly straight forward.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I have used arduino with Linux on a couple of distros*
    Linux and arduino are compatible with each other
    There is software and installation instructions for arduino Linux on arduino site.

I recently came across a distro called "Fedora" which has a robotics spin which comes with Arduino
    and host of other robotics/electronics software pre-installed and configured, Although i have never tried this ,
    just know of it so cannot recommend to a beginner at Linux or an old PC???
    https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/robotics/

I would recommend "Linux mint" or "Ubuntu" for a beginning at linux.
    Installing a Linux distro should be straight forward, some are easier than others

Let us Know
    What is type/spec of machine?
    Is it BIOS or UEFI?
    Do you want dual boot windows/linux or just 100% linux?

*Distro is a version of linux their are dozens of them

Thanks for all the info.

I had planned on trying Ubuntu so at least I know I was on the right track.

I'm not sure what BIOS or UEFI means but I'll try to find out. I have a feeling it's BIOS though.

I'd prefer to have 100% Linux if possible as the laptop is extremely slow even after a factory reset.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ60. I can't remember the specs as I haven't used it for a long time.

Fedora sounds interesting and it's something I would be keen on looking into in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mark_G

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info.

I had planned on trying Ubuntu so at least I know I was on the right track.

I'm not sure what BIOS or UEFI means but I'll try to find out. I have a feeling it's BIOS though.

I'd prefer to have 100% Linux if possible as the laptop is extremely slow even after a factory reset.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ60. I can't remember the specs as I haven't used it for a long time.

Fedora sounds interesting and it's something I would be keen on looking into in the future.

You could try using Lubuntu. It is just a light weight version that won't be as demanding as Ubuntu but should give you everything that you need, especially if the laptop is that slow.

http://lubuntu.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

For what it's worth I could never get a WiFi driver to work for a couple if Linux distros I installed on an old Dell. Probably just my ineptitude mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This will put your downloaded ISO of linux on to a USB stick

( this will delete everything that was on the USB stick previously ! )

https://rufus.akeo.ie

then you can boot the laptop from the USB stick and install away

Plug in the USB drive that you've prepared with RUFUS,
    start up the laptop
    keep hitting the ESC key - should bring up a menu

Select "Boot Options" ( hit F9 )

Use the arrow keys to select USB and boot away

Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm looking forward to resurrecting the old laptop and putting it to good use. Hopefully over the next few days I can get it to the stage where it is useful again.

Advertisement