Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2016, July 6, Stage 5: Limoges - Le Lioran 216KM *SPOILERS*

Options
  • 05-07-2016 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

To: Le Lioran
    Length: 216km
    Category: Flat

So after another day photo finish day by the sprinters we are in for another long stage as the race enters the Masif Central and the start of the climbing. A category 4 climb shortly after the start followed by 2 Cat 2 climbs and 3 Cat 3 climbs near the finish.

The riders start in Limousin and end in the Auvergne, which millions of years ago was an area of massive volcanic activity. No danger of an eruption today, but the last activity was fairly recent, in a geological timescale. It was ‘only’ 10,000 years ago.

Not long after the start the route goes through Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat, which for a place with a population of only 5,000 has some famous sons, but none are more famous than Raymond Poulidor.

Expect plenty of Poulidor tributes today, because although he never won the Tour de France, or even wore the yellow jersey, the noble, smiling way France’s beloved ‘Pou-Pou’ kept finishing second, or third, or thereabouts, made him the most popular cyclist in France. He’s 80 now, still part of the race, a perpetual guest driven round the route in a Raymond Poulidor-mobile. And he’s just as loved as ever.

It can be hot and humid in the Auvergne, and the roads are made with granite chippings hewn from its own volcanoes. They are hard work, and this stage isn’t short. It starts at the foot of the day’s highest climb, with one tiny flat section before the final climb. Basically it’s up and down one mountain, up and down another, and up and a bit down the third.

The first big day for the real climbers of the Tour, the first for the GC favourites. It will be nervous and busy. Potential Kings of the Mountains will be tempted by the points on offer at the top of the first two climbs, but the favourites won’t want anybody gaining too big a lead. It’s a dangerous day for them so they, and their teams, must bring their best game to this one.

Velo News preview:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/tour-de-france/tour-contenders-wary-of-sneaky-hard-stage-5-route_413321
    Contador does not have to climb to the heights of 2,000 meters as he does on Saturday, but survive several little pin pricks. In the final 50 kilometers, the Tour takes the stage over four short climbs, around four to seven kilometers each, but with gradients up to 8.1 percent and short, fast, and twisty descents.

BMC Racing’s men previewed the stage before the Tour, as they were concerned it could be crucial.

“We’ll get a sense of who’s going well and who’s not,” van Garderen said. “It’s a tricky stage. It’s not going to be as hard as the Pyrénées, but it will shake things up. I mean, you’re not going to see the Sagans and the Cavendishs there at the finish.”

Even if the classification men wanted to take it easy, the others like Julian Alaphilippe (Etixx – Quick-Step) will drive up the pace to try to win the stage, dislodge Sagan, and take the yellow jersey. Sagan leads by 12 seconds over Alaphilippe, 14 over Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), and 18 seconds over a group with Froome, Van Garderen, and Alaphilippe’s teammate Dan Martin. Martin, of course, won Liège-Bastogne-Liège and a stage in the Tour in 2013.

“It’s going to be a really nervous stage, a little unpredictable as far as a breakaway goes,” Martin said. “This early in the race, I don’t know if many GC teams will want to use up energy and control it.

“I know the area, I think I’ll be quite nervous with those typical French roads in the Massif Central, the hard road surface. It’s going to be a difficult day especially after all the kilometers in the last two stages.

“Peter has done some impressive stuff before, I wouldn’t rule him out, hanging in there until the finish, but we could see some gaps — hopefully so. Everyone is on his game in the big mountain stages, but on the surprise days, especially with the descents to the finish. On paper, it’s good for me and Julien.”
    usless wikipedia info on the finish area
    Le Lioran is a small mountain resort in the heart of continental France. It consists of the original settlement of Le Lioran in the valley bottom as well as the settlements of Prairie de Sagnes, Font d'Alagon, Font de Cère, and Prat du Bouc, all of which are geared towards the mountain tourism market. One of the few remaining resorts in central France, it has grown to become one of the biggest and most advanced resorts in the Massif Central.

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

Last KM
    PROFILKMS.png

TV Coverage
    Eurosport 2pm
    ITV 2pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

That ain't flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That ain't flat!

I concur!

The last 36Km is pretty lumpy:
    390932.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That ain't flat!

There's probably a flat bit somewhere. Appearances can be deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Bad news for Sam today he has already been dropped twice from the peloton in the first 20km. Doesn't look good as the pace is increasing while the breakaway tries to form.

Source: letour.fr website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

cunavalos wrote: »
    Bad news for Sam today he has already been dropped twice from the peloton in the first 20km. Doesn't look good as the pace is increasing while the breakaway tries to form.

Source: letour.fr website
    It's a day for the break so it'll be mad racing for the first hour till it forms. It should calm down afterwards. I'd imagine Sam is simply riding conservatively and will tag back on then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Good lads... get sky to lead the peloton even though sagan is in the yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

GetWithIt wrote: »
    It's a day for the break so it'll be mad racing for the first hour till it forms. It should calm down afterwards. I'd imagine Sam is simply riding conservatively and will tag back on then.

I wouldn't be so sure. He will use more energy "tagging back on" than he would staying in the bunch. I don't think anyone would get dropped as a deliberate tactic in Sam's circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

cant seem sam lasting the rest of the race, i know from the interviews last year pissed him off and im sure hes not looking for a repeat and is pushing on in the vain hope of recovery and getting to paris. i know pro cyclists are tough cookies who unlike footballers can take a good knock but it eventually catches up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

neris wrote: »
    cant seem sam lasting the rest of the race, i know from the interviews last year pissed him off and im sure hes not looking for a repeat and is pushing on in the vain hope of recovery and getting to paris. i know pro cyclists are tough cookies who unlike footballers can take a good knock but it eventually catches up with them

Still hanging in there(from LeTour.com)

11:44
    NO RIDER OFF THE BACK
    Injured riders Sam Bennett and Michael Morkov are in the peloton after they got dropped uphill. No one is off the back at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I hope those were technicians hanging off those electricity pylons. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

If any boardsie is watching it can the keep Sam B part updated pls. Out in a field cutting silage......bloody real life interfering with TDF! Cheers.

Smalltom wrote: »
    If any boardsie is watching it can the keep Sam B part updated pls. Out in a field cutting silage......bloody real life interfering with TDF! Cheers.

I dunno where you got the info Sam B is out in a field cutting silage but you'll be relieved to know that's total nonsense. Afraid I can't add much to how he's getting on but I repeat - he's not out in a field cutting silage.

Free to watch more today than up till now & can watch it on ITV4 on the tv. However it's just not the same at all & am sat in front of pc, Eurosport having got me 7euros to spend time with Kirby & Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Sam Bennett struggling.

Can't keep up with the peloton.

Looks like a very interesting stage where anything could happen!

40kms left, speed upped in a strung out peloton, 12 minutes to leaders . . .

Had to go & do something & in the few minutes interval the gap has come down to 10 minutes with 33kms left! Movistar doing the pushing.

Stunning soul-lifting part of the world btw yet much more homely lets say than the beauty spots of the high mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Nibali dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Smalltom wrote: »
    The live tracking feature has Sam at the "Back of the the Race" in Group 9 at +14.33 with the peloton at +7 ish minutes.
    The tracker is notoriously inaccurate but there are other riders scattered between him and the peloton so he is not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

the sound of squealing motor tyres

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Those motos need to back off

Nibali obviously not gonna be a gc factor - 2 minutes down on the main players. Sagan out the back also & flicking his elbow at the tv motorbike to do some work.

• Advertisement

Things look to have calmed down a bit. Will go down as a pretty beautiful way for GVA to go into yellow with a solo stage win on such terrain.

Dan Martin's looked comfortable & alert, Contador healed up a bit from his troubles so far on a tough day.

The only thing that can stop GVA from stage victory now is an Irish priest.

. . . Though just as I say that GVA finds his way onto some very twisty narrow descending roads that could cause havoc if the racing was hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Holy Moly the final descent is worse than the narrowest roads in Wicklow.

But delighted for GVA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jaysus he is flying there, only 450 meters left

Bardet's kicked things off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Contador losing more time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

pelevin wrote: »
    Bardet's kicked things off!

Doesn't seem to be working for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Contador should step off the bike and concentrate on the Vuelta. No point in him going for a top 10

Dan looking for a few seconds gap there

• Advertisement

Van Avermaet into the yellow for tomorrow's stage. Would have preferred Majka myself

Advertisement