Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2016, July 6, Stage 5: Limoges - Le Lioran 216KM *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Contador should step off the bike and concentrate on the Vuelta. No point in him going for a top 10

Nibali even worse off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Contador should pull out and go for the Vuelta. The way he was holding his bars at the end there shows just how banged up he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

CramCycle wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be working for him

I suppose for not the biggest effort he's put more time into Contador. Wasn't really on by the look of it in terms of terrain to gain time on rivals if on proper form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I wonder if Van Avermat can do a Tommy Voeckler, 5 mins is a nice gap.

Kelly theorising it could be tough for Sam B to make the time limit.

• Advertisement

pelevin wrote: »
    Kelly theorising it could be tough for Sam B to make the time limit.

Will be tough, praying he makes it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Thud

BMC Racing’s men previewed the stage before the Tour, as they were concerned it could be crucial.

“We’ll get a sense of who’s going well and who’s not,” van Garderen said. “It’s a tricky stage. It’s not going to be as hard as the Pyrénées, but it will shake things up. I mean, you’re not going to see the Sagans and the Cavendishs there at the finish.”

BMC's recon paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nibali even worse off

yeah but Nibalis there a domestique for Aru :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

390983.JPG

Dan slipping back into top 10, good to see.

Switched over to the Belgian channel for last few hundred metres. Needless to say they are pretty pleased. :pac:

neris wrote: »
    yeah but Nibalis there a domestique for Aru :D

Think today has cemented that decision. Good to see Dan still in the top 10 GC after today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

sir dave looks bored and disinterested in juan antonio and ashley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Think today has cemented that decision. Good to see Dan still in the top 10 GC after today

Why wouldn't he be? Stage was made for him, he's in good form, even Froome tipped him today.

Hopefully Alaflipwheel will start working for him soon

donfers wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he be? Stage was made for him, he's in good form, even Froome tipped him today.

Hopefully Alaflipwheel will start working for him soon

Is there a chance he'll be let loose to try and retain his young rider or can he do that while a working for Dan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

All 198 riders still in the race.
    Sam finished in the grupetto 28 minutes down on the stage winner and lives to fight another day. Currently lying in 197th place 14 minutes ahead of Morkov.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Ettixx are not at the Tdf for the GC. Just look at the makeup of their team. They are first and foremost stage hunters.
    Kittel (sprints), Tony Martin (TT), Alaphillippe/Martin - punchy finishes.
    I'd imagine Lefevre would prefer to get a classification jersey ahead of a top 10 finish for Martin so I would in no way expect to see a top rider like Alaphillippe riding domistique any time soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

lissard wrote: »
    Ettixx are not at the Tdf for the GC. Just look at the makeup of their team. They are first and foremost stage hunters.
    Kittel (sprints), Tony Martin (TT), Alaphillippe/Martin - punchy finishes.
    I'd imagine Lefevre would prefer to get a classification jersey ahead of a top 10 finish for Martin so I would in no way expect to see a top rider like Alaphillippe riding domistique any time soon.

The form Dan is in, no reason why he can't be a GC threat

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

donfers wrote: »
    The form Dan is in, no reason why he can't be a GC threat

Exactly, after the Dauphine they must be considering him for GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

neris wrote: »
    sir dave looks bored and disinterested in juan antonio and ashley

That makes at least two of us. Awful combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

lissard wrote: »

Not sure how true that is since they did absolutely nothing today in a stage that they had 2 out of the 3 favourites for.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That makes at least two of us. Awful combination.

They're definitely the naff side of Eurosport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

They're definitely the naff side of Eurosport.

It's cringe worthy viewing and an awkward chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Is there any chance that GVA can hang on to that lead? As someone else said, 5 mins is a decent gap if he has support?

(I don't follow it closely enough to know if he can survive against Froome/Quintana in the high mountains.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is there any chance that GVA can hang on to that lead? As someone else said, 5 mins is a decent gap if he has support?

(I don't follow it closely enough to know if he can survive against Froome/Quintana in the high mountains.)

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

History suggests not. Although GVA has not previously had any motivation to compete in the high mountains. His Head to Head against Froome in mountain stages in the last 4 years makes pretty grim reading. One can guess due to the positions that significant time gaps were involved in Froome's victories judging by their relevant finishing positions.

cb16aa08f01c49cda12c3547aeff532d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I guess that GVA was not a protected rider in many of those races though? He does well in the Ardennes afaik which suggests that he can climb. Of course the Alps/Pyrenees are a very different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's cringe worthy viewing and an awkward chemistry.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=100014062

what a holier than thou hypocrite you are

I suppose these two are fine to criticize as they are not doing a job

I guess that GVA was not a protected rider in many of those races though? He does well in the Ardennes afaik which suggests that he can climb. Of course the Alps/Pyrenees are a very different kettle of fish.

Definitely the best he can hope for in terms of overall standings is to enjoy his few days in Yellow - which is in itself a very big deal for a rider like him. Other than that, another stage win will be where glory might lie for him. Zero chance, & he wouldn't have any thought he could, of holding onto yellow in the high mountains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He should hold on to it tomorrow. After that I doubt it

I'd certainly be glad to see MPFGLB posting here again but coming back to rake this up is hardly of any good to anyone. And why anyone would be thanking such a post is a bit depressing tobh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moderators thanking a poster calling another poster a holier than thou hypocrite? Funny idea of modding that.

To add, I'd certainly be glad to see MPFGLB posting here again but coming back to rake this up is hardly of any good to anyone.

Brian and Godtabh aren't mods on this forum, and so they don't have any more duties or responsibilities on this forum than anyone else.

Also people, seriously, relax. The amount of arguments that come up over commentators is stupid. It's great to have different opinions on commentators, but the amount of petty passive-aggressive bickering that happens as a result of this specific issue is ridiculous. Take a deep breath and relax and keep this place fun and friendly.

Advertisement