Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which outdoor cctv camera to get

Options
  • 06-07-2016 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a self install outdoor cctv, my local Aldi has a Maginion for €60, can anyone recommend a brand or is the Aldi one ok, where does one buy a cctv camera.
    Wireless if possible
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

ronn wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a self install outdoor cctv, my local Aldi has a Maginion for €60, can anyone recommend a brand or is the Aldi one ok, where does one buy a cctv camera.
    Wireless if possible
    Thanks

Id have a look at the Hik Vision or LTS equipment, can be got on the suppliers list here.
    It will be more expensive than the Aldi camera.
    If you are looking for something just standalone then a guard cam will also do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks for that,
    How are these cameras powered, do they have to be wired to the mains,???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most Cameras would be 12 volt DC . If they are IP they could also be POE.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most Cameras would be 12 volt DC . If they are IP they could also be POE.

POE ???
    What I should of said are they easy to install,
    Is there a plug in and go system, (fool proof in other words) :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

POE is power over ethernet. The network cable and network switch power the camera.
    The cheaper kits and cameras that you get in Aldi, lidl etc would be plug and play with cables supplied made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Got the aldi one and think it's great. Easy to setup. You might need a longer network cable as the one that come with it is a bit small. It doesn't record but you can get it to email photos to an email address. It's viewable from ios and android

garbeth wrote: »
    Got the aldi one and think it's great. Easy to setup. You might need a longer network cable as the one that come with it is a bit small. It doesn't record but you can get it to email photos to an email address. It's viewable from ios and android

Thanks, think that's the sort of one I'm looking for, when you say network cable, that's not a cable running from the camera is it,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was looking at this system last night, and thought for £154.99 delivered it might be worth a punt????
    4 x 1.3mp cameras and 1tb hard drive included too.
    Seems to get very good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorder-Pre-installed-Technology-1280x960-Water-Proof/dp/B00BPMGUEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468233339&sr=8-1&keywords=kare+cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks, think that's the sort of one I'm looking for, when you say network cable, that's not a cable running from the camera is it,

It is. You connect two cables when setting it up. One for power one for Internet access. When setup is complete you don't need the Internet access as the camera will connect wirelessly but you do need the power on. The one that comes with the camera is a bit small so you may need to buy a longer on. If your in Dublin, maplins sell them. Otherwise an computer shop should be able to make one up for you

Advertisement