Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation UCD Advice please!!- first year

Options
  • 06-07-2016 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm an 18 year old female, hopefully heading to college in September 2016.

I currently trying to sort out accommodation and its an absolute head wreck. I've applied for on campus accommodation but as we all know that's not guaranteed.

I'm just wondering, should I put a deposit on a house just to be safe or can it wait till i'm sure if i need to? Where are the best areas to research? Also, when i'm looking for shared accommodation how do I make sure i'm with people in first/second year or is that even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

summer98 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, should I put a deposit on a house just to be safe or can it wait till i'm sure if i need to?

Tough call. I've known people to start college with no firm plans about accommodation (having to kip on family or friends' sofas in the interim). Not exactly the sort of situation you want to be in. On the other hand, you should be aware that there are scammers going around collecting deposits for non-existent properties, and that hedging your bets is itself a gamble.
    summer98 wrote: »
    Also, when i'm looking for shared accommodation how do I make sure i'm with people in first/second year or is that even possible?

Not sure if it is something you should place as a high priority (I'd personally place English as first language higher, for social reasons). You may wish to avoid final year students who traditionally will be more focused on work and averse to partying, but everyone in UCD will be able to tell you that the idea that you can totally put off work until final year is an idea that belongs back in the 90s. What you want are people that are dependable and open.

The probability of being able to rent with someone that you will turn out to know in academic setting is remote to say the least (i.e. that you will share any classes with).

Unfortunately, it is pretty tricky to vet people to rent with from a distance. It's one of the reasons that a lot of on-campus accommodation is reserved for first-year and international students (on the grounds that you won't know anyone to rent with).

Consider the accommodation in the old Montrose Hotel across the road from UCD. It is technically off-campus accommodation, it's expensive, but massively handy and a sweet place if on-campus falls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Treatycat

I am also a first year looking for student accommodation. I was placed 2400 on the waiting list and I'm now worried I wont get it. Any other ideas where I could get an alternative place where I would be with other students

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebooklover

Treatycat wrote: »
    I am also a first year looking for student accommodation. I was placed 2400 on the waiting list and I'm now worried I wont get it. Any other ideas where I could get an alternative place where I would be with other students

I was nearly exactly in your position last year, I think I was 2330 or something like that and I still managed to get into UCD campus accommodation, although my options were much more limited and I got into the server about a day after my friends did. Anyways, don't give up hope! A lot of people who have there name on the list (and are ahead of you) will pull out for a variety of reasons. My sister, for example, is on there even though UCD isn't her first choice.
    That said, do check out other options. I had a list of digs that I could fall back on if I didn't get into UCD's accommodation. Best of luck!

Thanks I've heard that I should get in I'm just not sure at the moment should I put a deposit on somewhere else in case I don't get campus. I've rang a few places and the deposit is quite steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

Hi Treatycat.
    Hope you don't mind me asking but who told you that you should get in? The woman I spoke to in the accommodation office didn't sound too hopeful (number 2740 on the list).

• Advertisement

I guess 'should' is a strong word I should say I'm hopeful last year a friend was 1600 on the waiting list and when the CAO came out he jumped to 600 he had to wait 3 day for his choice of accommodation as they allocate according to your position on waiting list. This lads friend was 2200 on waiting list and he got offered his place the the morning after(4 days after CAO) so I'm hoping to get lucky. I rang accommodation
    office and while they couldn't give any guarantee and to be honest said she had no way of knowing she did say going on last years list he would have got a place. Also on another thread I was told somebody on almost the same place as me got in but had to wait longer and had fewer choices. I must say I didn't realise they're were fewer places this year - now that is a worry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

There are more spaces available overall than last year but they're allocated to non-EU students. Presumably the ones taken off first years are also going to them. They make way more money off the international students so presumably that's why they are prioritising them.

Advertisement