Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I got charmander as my starter but any pokemon or gym is about a 5 minutes walk from my bedroom. I'm located in kimmage, Dublin 12.

How are people getting multiple pokemon from their office desk? I'll see what I find on my way to the gym later.

I just left it open while sat at my desk - got Ghastly, Oddish, Shellder, Seel, Rattata and Drowzee in about 20 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

maximoose wrote: »
    I just left it open while sat at my desk - got Ghastly, Oddish, Shellder, Seel, Rattata and Drowzee in about 20 mins!

IS it OK to leave open in the background? My Samsung s7 is getting so hot durijg this game and the battery is being assassinated

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dantes_Legacy

maximoose wrote: »

Did you use an incense when doing that?

Too bad this is free to play

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Too bad this is free to play

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Installed it there now on Xperia Z3c all working fine. Had it on while going for wander for lunch. Not too sure what I'm doing tbh but caught myself, Charmander, Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Oddish and Drowzee and few eggs also, I notice some need 2km and some 5km. I don't really fancy spending actual money on it, I presume there is other ways of getting coins. It does fairly get through battery now also which I suppose was to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dantes_Legacy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Installed it there now on Xperia Z3c all working fine. Had it on while going for wander for lunch. Not too sure what I'm doing tbh but caught myself, Charmander, Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Oddish and Drowzee and few eggs also, I notice some need 2km and some 5km. I don't really fancy spending actual money on it, I presume there is other ways of getting coins. It does fairly get through battery now also which I suppose was to be expected.

I've gotten some coins for leaving pokemon in gyms. It seems to be 10 coins every 20 hours for each pokemon you have in a gym.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Angron wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

Because there are microtransaction walls. I'd rather pay a price and have the game full access no holds barred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

MarkY91 wrote: »
    IS it OK to leave open in the background? My Samsung s7 is getting so hot durijg this game and the battery is being assassinated

I don't think it works if you have it open in the background, needs to be active app as far as I can tell.

I'm on a Oneplus One and it does get a bit hot at times but it hasn't been too harsh on the battery.
    Did you use an incense when doing that?

Strangely no, I used an incense stick earlier and it didn't really do much.

Went for a wee walk around IFSC/Talbot street area there, hit a lot of Pokestops but didn't find many new pokemon. Can see the novelty of this wearing off for me very soon.

Why do you say that?

Because of the business model they have to employ and the enjoyment it will inevitably take away from my experience. Hopefully I am wrong and Nintendo haven't signed off on yet another ****ty mobile game.

My experience of f2p play games follow the same general pattern. At first you have an abundance of resources and the game constantly rewards by frequent level-ups with bonuses etc. They get you used to spending their currency while you are slowly getting hooked. The game is fun at first. Then you gradually level up less frequently, receive less free currency and generally progress far slower... unless you want to pay a few micro transactions to keep the pace going. At this stage your quite invested so a small few euros here and there aren't bad considering how much your getting out of it, right? I argue they shouldn't have created this situation in the first place to manipulate you into spending cash in drips and drabs. You could argue that you could simply ignore micro transactions entirely and play the game entirely free. You are still playing a game that is actively attempting to manipulate out of your cash. It is not a pleasant addition to modern gaming. It encourages addictive behavior. I would way prefer to pay €XX upfront with maybe cosmetic being sold as micro transactions to cover the running costs of the game.

Without being overly dramatic, f2p is a cancer on modern game design :pac:

But sure what do I know, all the highest grossing mobile games follow this exact business model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Can't wait to give this a go! Damn iOS making me wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My workplace is a gym, I'm gonna set up as gym leader.

You don't work in eir (HSQ) by any chance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Because of the business model they have to employ and the enjoyment it will inevitably take away from my experience. Hopefully I am wrong and Nintendo haven't signed off on yet another ****ty mobile game.

My experience of f2p play games follow the same general pattern. At first you have an abundance of resources and the game constantly rewards by frequent level-ups with bonuses etc. They get you used to spending their currency while you are slowly getting hooked. The game is fun at first. Then you gradually level up less frequently, receive less free currency and generally progress far slower... unless you want to pay a few micro transactions to keep the pace going. At this stage your quite invested so a small few euros here and there aren't bad considering how much your getting out of it, right? I argue they shouldn't have created this situation in the first place to manipulate you into spending cash in drips and drabs. You could argue that you could simply ignore micro transactions entirely and play the game entirely free. You are still playing a game that is actively attempting to manipulate out of your cash. It is not a pleasant addition to modern gaming. It encourages addictive behavior. I would way prefer to pay €XX upfront with maybe cosmetic being sold as micro transactions to cover the running costs of the game.

Without being overly dramatic, f2p is a cancer on modern game design :pac:

But sure what do I know, all the highest grossing mobile games follow this exact business model

Ah yeah, I get what you mean. I recently uninstalled a game on my phone after it got an update that added a system where it basically wanted you to pay a subscription type of thing, like World of Warcraft. You didn't have to, but then if you didn't, you'd be torn apart by people that did in PvP.

Ah yeah, I get what you mean. I recently uninstalled a game on my phone after it got an update that added a system where it basically wanted you to pay a subscription type of thing, like World of Warcraft. You didn't have to, but then if you didn't, you'd be torn apart by people that did in PvP.

I'm just extremely bitter after what EA did my beloved Dungeon Keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 36 system_538781

dilallio wrote: »

Ah there you are Dilallio! I know that's your work portal in Ingress ;)

Will I have to battle your Pokemon Gym there too? Or will we end up on the same team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frisbee wrote: »
    Loving this. Just installed the APK. Caught a Charmander, Weedle, Ratatta & Venonat without leaving my desk in work. Can't wait to go for a walk later now.

Just caught a Koffing while in the toilet. Scary accurate GPS :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dilallio wrote: »

Fraid not. Got a guy in work to sign up and we went around at lunch scouting rival gyms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 aislinnb

Downloaded on iPhone using my brothers US Apple ID, and it was a US app (in app purchases were in $ but eventually changed to € so it is legit) I havent left house yet, i can see pokestop is local church though and some monuments around the place

Apparently there is Kabuto near me.

Dome supremacy!

Went to the gym and back. Less than 2 miles walk up and back and caught a few unique pokemon and a few rattatas and weedles. Few 3x pokeballs in the local "monuments" on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Bit bull**** that the official version isn't out here yet. I'm downloading the apk as I type this, just hope I don't get banned. Will be really unfair to us who have been dying to play if we're denied when the official version comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

The_Mac wrote: »
    Bit bull**** that the official version isn't out here yet. I'm downloading the apk as I type this, just hope I don't get banned. Will be really unfair to us who have been dying to play if we're denied when the official version comes out.

it's supposed to be out by the end of this week. They're just rolling it out, region by region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The_Mac wrote: »

I think there's just rumours going around that bans are being handed out. Nothing confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The servers are being totally hammered and crashing constantly for a lot of people, they didn't have a choice but to go region by region or theyd end up with no one being able to play for the first week or so

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Have Charmander, Jigglypuff, Weedle, Horsea and Pidgey so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

fecking magmar sitting on top of the spire gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The servers are being totally hammered and crashing constantly for a lot of people, they didn't have a choice but to go region by region or theyd end up with no one being able to play for the first week or so

A bit of communication to that effect would help from like..... anyone, the silence from niantic and nintendo is just stupid.

Anyway im just gonna go with the US itunes account workaround this evening

How packed full of stuff I'd dublin city centre?

Mostly just murials as locations in kimmage and stones with street names on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

To be fair this has nearly made things worse with people scrambling to use their servers when they probably don't have them at full power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement