Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek Beer Name Advice

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I am looking for suggestions for a Greek Beer brand name. The beer is for mass export to the international market. Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thread moved from Beer, Wine and Spirits, probably better suited here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Hi, i put the post in Beer wine and spirits hoping to get the consumer perspective rather than the business perspective, thanks!...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yamas

Everyone knows what it means and can associate it with alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I can tell you not everyone knows what that means and can associate it with alcohol!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What type of beer is it? There are several great plays on greek names but without knowing the type of beer, the flavours, the strength, any suggestion would be pointless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jimmii wrote: »
    I can tell you not everyone knows what that means and can associate it with alcohol!

There would be very few people who wouldn't know that phrase

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Never heard the word before and I wouldn't say the vast majority have unless you have been to Greece at some point so that's a huge assumption to make. On looking it up I can see there is also a word yama or yamas associated with Yoga which might cause confusion you are going after the international market.

jester77 wrote: »
    There would be very few people who wouldn't know that phrase

I think you might be over estimating just how widespread the knowledge of Yamis is. When Google says "did you mean Yami's" then probably means its not that commonly used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Obvious choice: Nectar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sryiza. ? All hangover and no fun ??
    Aphrodite ,looks good and your sure to score...
    Spartan would come in a pouch,not a bottle, there'd be very little hops or flavour, but it'd be full strength,
    Or just the "greek economy" beer which you pour staight down the toilet... )-:
    You could just call it Olympus ,think greek, champions, stone hewn bodies,all that ****e...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hephaestus was the god of fire. So I suggest Hop-haestus if its a hoppy beer.

My royalty for that name is 5 cents per bottle / can.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far. It is a 4.5% alc. vol. Lager Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Athena

Yamas is a good one thanks! all the rest are actually already beer brands. It is truely amazing how many beers bare Greek names....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I have to say I don't think Ive come across a greek beer before.

Maybe pick a greek philosopher, a greek god or one of the greek islands. If you have a series of beers you could build a nice brand image by matching the characteristics to the island/philosopher/god to the beer - you could explain on the label why the name suits the beer etc. Kind of like McGargles but a bit less tacky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Greek_philosophers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Greece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_figures

I have to say I don't think Ive come across a greek beer before.

Maybe pick a greek philosopher, a greek god or one of the greek islands. If you have a series of beers you could build a nice brand image by matching the characteristics to the island/philosopher/god to the beer - you could explain on the label why the name suits the beer etc. Kind of like McGargles but a bit less tacky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Greek_philosophers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Greece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_figures

Thanks for the suggestions. The greek philosophers all have their beer brand as do the gods and creatures. It is really amazing how many beer brands are greek inspired.

Although a greek inspiration is desirable, The Beer Brand does not have to be identifiable as Greek. it is more for the mass market and will compete with the big brands.

Stelios draft. Let's people know it's Greek and it's beer. If it's just a Greek word people might assume it's Ouzo when people think alcohol from Greece that's normally what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

This is Sparta!!! (Beer)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Default !

Thanks for all the suggestions. The beer brand name and concept has been decided. Unfortunately I can not reveal what it is due to client confidentiality. But I will come back and tell ye when it is released :)
    It will be a major export brand and hopefully in the shops here in the future.
    Exciting stuff.

If anyone is interested in developing a brand please feel free to shoot me PM.

• Advertisement

Good luck! Realistically when do you hope us to be seeing it on shelves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thanks for all the suggestions. The beer brand name and concept has been decided. Unfortunately I can not reveal what it is due to client confidentiality. But I will come back and tell ye when it is released :)
    It will be a major export brand and hopefully in the shops here in the future.
    Exciting stuff.

If anyone is interested in developing a brand please feel free to shoot me PM.

Fair play!

Out of curiosity, what was your involvement? Is it your beer or are you just contributing to the marketing/branding aspect?

Fair play!

Out of curiosity, what was your involvement? Is it your beer or are you just contributing to the marketing/branding aspect?

I am designing the Brand concept and logo/Label for the product.
    I don't have any involvement in the marketing, production and distribution so I have no idea when the product will go to market.

Thanks for the help with this project. As promised I am back with the final designs.
    The name chosen was "Agora". Agora is the Greek marketplace and center of social and cultural activity in a greek town.

The design brief was for a classic retro design.

here are the final designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

The name chosen was "Agora". Agora is the Greek marketplace and center of social and cultural activity in a greek town.

Where the word Agoraphobia comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Cannot say I’m a fan of the design. It would be interesting to see the runners-up/ logic of the choice. For me the colour associated with Greece is blue (nowhere in the design), which would be evocative of sunshine, heat, etc. (Think of all Greek media advertising by their govt. - blue sea, blue sky.; thier national flag, etc) Instead of a factory-design background image, I also would have used a ruin – type image and a hint at Greek lettering, for e.g. a Doric/Ionic/Corinthian pillar or a pediment like the Parthenon.

The design might be retro, but it is not what I would perceive as Greek retro so it does not work for me. TBH, the label looks like something that came out of a former Soviet state, the star, the sickle-shaped ears of wheat, the dull red/black/purple/green colours. Even the building in the background has a Stalinesque look about it. I suppose it depends on the market(s) and the distribution channel(s), maybe the drinker does not get to see the packaging…..but for mass-market in Europe I don’t get it…

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

It looks like a can of engine oil.

To me that branding looks like it's from America or South America very similar styling to football team badges from over there. I agree with Pedro when I think Greece I think blue and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

Let us know, when it will be available in Ireland ! :) So happy to enjoy greek beer while we are away from our country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement