Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest overnights in Dublin - hostels, apartments, hotels etc??

Options
  • 06-07-2016 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I used to stay at my sisters when I'd be up for work every other week or so, but she's having a baby soon so, no room for me.

A friend told me he once stayed in an apartment in temple bar with a bunch of randomers
    Paid 20 euro for the night.

I know some hotels charge about 40 euro or so.

I just need a place to crash at for one night.
    Breakfast or anything fancy is not important.
    Cheap is a priority.

Hostels - anything of that nature.

Recommendations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Isaac's Hostel comes well recommended.

Just check out Hostelworld. You'll get a bunkbed in a 8 person room somewhere for cheap, that's your best bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

18 euro in isaacs

if i cud get it down to around the 10 mark, that wud b aces

18 euro in isaacs

10 euro!? Are you serious? 18 is an INSANE price, snap it up. An insane price. Snap.it.up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

18 euro in isaacs

This is Dublin we're talking about. Don't be such a cheapskate :D

Well they mentioned on their front page the beds can get down as low as 11 euro.

And, I am somewhat of a bargain hunter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well they mentioned on their front page the beds can get down as low as 11 euro.

Your friend told you he paid 20 to stay somewhere at one point.. so 18 is good, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe in Winter but when you're down here you might notice a few tourists around the place

Op, 18 is a bargain amongst bargains. You have to remember that these guys doing beds so low are doing so with a focus on balancing the need to make money with also being a good corporate citizen and treating customers right.

If anyone with a pure profit motive got access to these beds, there is plenty, plenty money to be made.

If they do this, what results is what they call an ethnic cleansing of the poor, whereby basically persons like you looking for reasonable prices and persons who can only afford so much actually get locked out of the market by a mile.

18euro is a stonking bargain compared to what it should be. Unreal. I say fair play to these guy for making it a success. Please do not try take the bread off their table or anyone's table who is acting decent by looking for a ten euro deal. If this attitude was to be applied on the other side, you'd be well priced out of the market. There's money to be made and these guys still do an 18euro deal. Wow. Snap it up my friend and keep it quiet. An amazing price. You won't go far with trying to take the bread off someone's table with this type bargain hunting. Pay the 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Could you even buy a tent for a 10er?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

myshirt wrote: »
    Op, 18 is a bargain amongst bargains. You have to remember that these guys doing beds so low are doing so with a focus on balancing the need to make money with also being a good corporate citizen and treating customers right......

... 18euro is a stonking bargain compared to what it should be. Unreal. Pay the 18.

€18 less 9% VAT, less about 20% to Hostelworld, less 3% bank fees, less about €2 for linen. Throw in one of the highest minimum wages in the world, the most expensive electricity in Europe, crazy public liability insurance, extortionate commercial rates and then personal taxation rates. I'd be surprised if the owners even get 50c of the op's money in their pockets at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SantryRed wrote: »
    Could you even buy a tent for a 10er?

Yes. They are fine once it doesn't rain and your not in anyway tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sleep in a ditch OP. Won't cost you a cent and you can save your tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Someone has set up a tent on the roundabout near me. Im guessing they are up early for a concert that is on next week.

I have a work mate who bought a motorhome van and sleeps in the street as they wont alow him to sleep in the car park.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sleep in a ditch OP. Won't cost you a cent and you can save your tenner.

no wifi...

I need wifi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

no wifi...

I need wifi

Run behind a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

no wifi...

I need wifi

Ohhh really ? At this rate you will be asking them to pay you to stay there. You say you are 'somewhat of a bargain hunter'. ? We all like a bargain but there is a big difference between having an eye for a bargain and just being 'cheap'. Not a nice quality in anyone I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

11 euro is down to homeless hostel rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think we are being very hard on the OP here. He's not looking for much, just an ensuite room with free wifi and a turn down service for 10 euros(or less). Sure theres plenty of places who would only be too happy to give him a room at that rate, ensuring many repeat visits from him. If he stays once a fortnight for 6 months, why there is dozens of euros of profit to be made for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Get yourself locked up in a cell for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Why not sleep on a park bench ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Harry66 wrote: »
    Get yourself locked up in a cell for the night!

A friend of mine used to actually do that in England.

Strumms wrote: »
    Ohhh really ? At this rate you will be asking them to pay you to stay there. You say you are 'somewhat of a bargain hunter'. ? We all like a bargain but there is a big difference between having an eye for a bargain and just being 'cheap'. Not a nice quality in anyone I'm afraid.

I know it seems that way, but if you were more aware of my financial predicament, you'd understand.

madanall wrote: »
    Why not sleep on a park bench ?

Because I'd rather avoid being sodomized.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well least it would be free, an eye for a bargain and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

afatbollix wrote: »
    I have a work mate who bought a motorhome van and sleeps in the street as they wont alow him to sleep in the car park.

Your mate's an absolute idiot! He should sleep *in* the motorhome, there'll even be a built-in bed somewhere in the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

a Room on Airbnb? Surly there'l be something cheap enough when it's just a room?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tunage wrote: »
    a Room on Airbnb? Surly there'l be something cheap enough when it's just a room?

Have you read the thread? They're ideally looking for a bed for the night for 10 quid?

What the OP is looking for (without realising it) is charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thats a shame because another option would have been one of the gay saunas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

spurious wrote: »
    Run behind a bus.

Run in front of one? Could put an end to the silly threads...

• Advertisement

I checked hostel world on short notice yesterday, and got a place to crash for 15 euro.

Total ****ing bargain given what was provided.

16 person dorm, but really spacious, and free lockers, free wifi, showers, chill out common room, central location.

Hostel world is awesome!!

Only thing, I forgot my ear plugs, and the dude beside me snored so damn loud.
    He woke me up at 4:30.

I dampend a tissue I had in my pocket, and used pieces of it as make shift earplugs.
    Slept just find after that.

Advertisement