Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Gap crash

Options
  • 06-07-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Article in the Indo this morning - link

It happened on Sunday morning on the road between Sally Gap and Laragh near the "lead mines car park". I don't know this exact spot but I do cycle this piece of road quite often.

The road varies a lot going from the 'Gap to Laragh, with a mixture of bumps, potholes and some good surfaces, slow drags and fast downhill stretches. Care is needed but maybe not any more than on other roads in the general area.

It appears the article got the location wrong and the accident happened on the Wicklow Gap - probably on the descent into Glendalough.

Lets hope the lady in question makes a full recovery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Assuming there were not too extremely similar incidents on the same morning then this accident did not happen on the Sally Gap as per the article. I'm going to leave out any and all details (for obvious reasons) but she had a fall on the Wicklow Gap. She is a club mate and friend of mine and we are all sending her prayers, wishes and love. She's is fabulous, positive and generally a great person to be around. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

According to Google Maps, the Lead Mines are/were directly north of the bigger, more westerly lake at Glendalough; but maybe there are two lead mines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Horrendous. I wish her the speediest of recoveries. Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to the cyclist...

Did Denis Gleeson really say
    Indo wrote:
    "We all love the sport but we advise people that any road is dangerous and cycling is dangerous."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

route66 wrote: »
    ..It happened on Sunday morning on the road between Sally Gap and Laragh near the "lead mines car park". I don't know this exact spot ...
    It's at the lay by on the last left sweeping bend before the descent into Glendalough from the Wicklow Gap. (Not on the Sally Gap/Laragh descent - the caption on the pic in the Indo is incorrect)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I can imagine that she may have been carrying alot of speed into that corner after the descent from the Gap. I hope she recovers well.

Heard about this through a friend. Hope she pulls through.

Nasty place to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

That corner is one that needs extreme care and can easily see how you could have a serious accident on it. I hit a stone on it one day while taking it at high speed and I absolutely sh!t myself :eek:. Hope she has a speedy recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lorimc wrote: »
    That corner is one that needs extreme care and can easily see how you could have a serious accident on it. I hit a stone on it one day while taking it at high speed and I absolutely sh!t myself :eek:. Hope she has a speedy recover.
    I rounded that bend at speed one time to find an Italian registered car coming towards me on the wrong side of the road. My heart stopped for a few seconds and then went into overdrive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please can we not speculate over the details here (including the precise location).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Definitely happened on the Wicklow Gap. I saw the ambulance go up when I was stopped in Laragh and helicopter flew over shortly afterwards. Hope the poor girl recovers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hi, hope it's OK to post but was curious how the rider is after the accident. Hope she's well on the road to recovery. Passed by the accident and it's been on my mind since.

Advertisement