Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK imports looking tempting again.

• 06-07-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

With the pound in free fall time it might be time to consider importing again.

Pricing up 1 year old Passat 1.6S for €18.5K after exchange and VRT, the exact same model here is €24,750 from a dealer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Buy while the pound is cheap and before they leave the EU. Because afterwards you'll be hit with VAT on import too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Plenty of time for both. Problem is that the Euro is being dragged down along with Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still think it needs to weaken a bit more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely it would be more beneficial to bring in a higher spec 2.0 litre Passat model than a basic 1.6 model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

bazz26 wrote: »
    Surely it would be more beneficial to bring in a higher spec 2.0 litre Passat model than a basic 1.6 model?

Not if budget is paramount, which it is in this case. The UK S is better equipped than our Trendline but below our Comfortline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

im thinking about going over next week.Whats the best way to pay a dealer in england for a car? my bank says it takes a day for international transfers to go thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

im thinking about going over next week.Whats the best way to pay a dealer in england for a car? my bank says it takes a day for international transfers to go thru

Do you have family/friend in UK you can transfer sterling cost of car into and pay out of that account?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

Do you have family/friend in UK you can transfer sterling cost of car into and pay out of that account?

Unfortunetly not :(
    Any idea whats the next best way?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I'd go back a year and get the 2.0 comfortline model if I was going over.

I have always found you will save a lot of money going to the UK for a car, irrespective of currency fluctuations. The irish used market just seems to track the UK one. If cars are dear over there, they'll just be a bit dearer here. I don't recall a time in the past 5 years where they have been cheaper here.

Transfermate is a great service.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    I'd go back a year and get the 2.0 comfortline model if I was going over.

Swings and roundabouts really, a year back is the old Passat, and with about only £1000 between a 2014 SE B7 and new Passat I'd be taking the newer car which is not poorly equipped by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not if budget is paramount, which it is in this case. The UK S is better equipped than our Trendline but below our Comfortline.
    Swings and roundabouts really, a year back is the old Passat, and with about only £1000 between a 2014 SE B7 and new Passat I'd be taking the newer car which is not poorly equipped by any means.

Try and wait until September when the reg plate changes in the UK which might bring used prices down a bit on early 2015 reg models. Sterling might drop further too.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

Unfortunetly not :(
    Any idea whats the next best way?

I get paid in foreign currency and regularly trade across and have bought cars in the UK. Currencyfair is definitely the best rates that I can find anywhere for changing currency. Stay away from the banks at all costs.

Currencyfair give the actual conversion rates on the website including fees, not the indicative rate you'll find on other websites which is the interbank rate and designed to get you in. I'm not involved with currencyfair in any way but do think they've an excellent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Del2005 wrote: »
    Plenty of time for both. Problem is that the Euro is being dragged down along with Sterling.

In comparison to other currencies not sterling which is the only relevant one if buying from the uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We are getting into that period of wanting used cars from the time of the recession, but since car sales were low, we need to look further afield to find a car we're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Does a UK import car affect insurance much?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

In that case, I wouldn't stress about the 1.6 in the new model. I think its 120 bhp.

I priced a new one of those for cash earlier in the year. Somewhere around 29k if I remember correctly. Some going if you can get a year old one in for 60% of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lekrub wrote: »
    Does a UK import car affect insurance much?

Not at this moment. Strangely enough they usually ask is it imported and when told all cars are imported get annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

SuperO'B wrote: »
    I get paid in foreign currency and regularly trade across and have bought cars in the UK. Currencyfair is definitely the best rates that I can find anywhere for changing currency. Stay away from the banks at all costs.

Currencyfair give the actual conversion rates on the website including fees, not the indicative rate you'll find on other websites which is the interbank rate and designed to get you in. I'm not involved with currencyfair in any way but do think they've an excellent service.
    You can request a dealing room rate from the bank if you do regular transfers.

My rate is 0.35% off mid market, neither transferwise nor transfermate can beat that.

Bank can also do a same day transfer - if the instruction is given before 11am its in the UK account by 3pm. Aib charge €12 extra for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Used currencyfair a few weeks back, very good rate and very quick and easy. When you have it in the currencyfair account and exchaged it will hit the destination account that same day (Monday to Friday)

Bambaata wrote: »
    Used currencyfair a few weeks back, very good rate and very quick and easy. When you have it in the currencyfair account and exchaged it will hit the destination account that same day (Monday to Friday)

What kind of difference in rates between banks and the likes of these services, is there much in it? Say on €14000.

• Advertisement

What kind of difference in rates between banks and the likes of these services, is there much in it? Say on €14000.

£260 between PTSB and currency fair at the moment on €14000. Not sure if the PTSB rate on the app is adjusted as the day goes on however and set in the morning. Might be different if you go into the bank.

That is great, covers the travel expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

flazio wrote: »
    We are getting into that period of wanting used cars from the time of the recession, but since car sales were low, we need to look further afield to find a car we're looking for.

Yeah, I'm dreading looking for a petrol in that age range when I come to change.

Are the UK dealers used to accepting payment from the likes of transferwise, or is there a lot of explaining how it works to be done first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

McGaggs wrote: »
    Are the UK dealers used to accepting payment from the likes of transferwise, or is there a lot of explaining how it works to be done first?
    I doubt they care once they have cleared funds in their account.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm dreading looking for a petrol in that age range when I come to change.

Once the money clears then they're good. It can be worth ringing the currency exchange companies to explain your situation. They can expediate things some what if needed.

Advertisement