Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle from Tallaght to Drogheda

Options
  • 06-07-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going from Tallaght to Drogheda to visit family on the bike. I normally drive up via the M50/M1 but obviously can't do this on the bike!

Google maps advises going through town - drumcondra - airport - swords then on some back roads up to Stamullen and then Julianstown. The trip would be 60km and would take about 3hrs 15mins which would be about 18.5km/h according to Google. I reckon I could do 25km/h average so around 2.5hrs or so....

Anyone have any other route recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

LpPepper wrote: »
    Thinking of going from Tallaght to Drogheda to visit family on the bike. I normally drive up via the M50/M1 but obviously can't do this on the bike!

Google maps advises going through town - drumcondra - airport - swords then on some back roads up to Stamullen and then Julianstown. The trip would be 60km and would take about 3hrs 15mins which would be about 18.5km/h according to Google. I reckon I could do 25km/h average so around 2.5hrs or so....

Anyone have any other route recommendations?

Cycling through town is a pain! Take the outer ring road from Tallaght which brings you to Blanch and then to the back of the airport. From there, you can stay on the old N1 all the way to Drogheda or go for more scenic routes along the coast - luck, rush, skerries, balbriggan or go the Stamullen way.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Iv done this before
    I headed up thru Lucan, clonee, rathoath,duleek and in to drogheda .decent roads all the way the only really busy road was the couple of km heading into rathoath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have done route up old N1 which is the easiest.

Route through St Margarets, Naul and into Drogheda is more pleasant but considerably harder. Lots of short sharp hills.

I would stick to N1 but from Tallaght I would go into Terenure and on to canal and then straight down canal across Eastlink and up Grace Park road out at Whitehall church thus avoiding most of town..

Advertisement