Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling at night.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sugru and magnets:

https://sugru.com/blog/12-ways-to-improve-your-bike-with-sugru

Thing about the Strawberry Beds is the road is narrow and twisty and drivers belt along, and it's hard to see the unexpected. Used to live there, and a neighbour drove cautiously (as always) out of his driveway, which slanted onto the road, and was joined in the front seat by a dead motorcyclist, whose pillion passenger was also dead when found 100 metres away, having sailed over his car. He never recovered, moved out soon after to live in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Chuchote wrote: »
    Sugru and magnets:

https://sugru.com/blog/12-ways-to-improve-your-bike-with-sugru

Thing about the Strawberry Beds is the road is narrow and twisty and drivers belt along, and it's hard to see the unexpected. Used to live there, and a neighbour drove cautiously (as always) out of his driveway, which slanted onto the road, and was joined in the front seat by a dead motorcyclist, whose pillion passenger was also dead when found 100 metres away, having sailed over his car. He never recovered, moved out soon after to live in an apartment.

Repeated incidents like this is why Strawberry beds are now thick with speed bumps.

The speeds have reduced considerably as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Getting ready for the winter and just purchased this......

prod110884_Black_NE_01?wid=200&hei=205

.....to go on this.....

394766.jpg

.....with a Shutter Precision PD-8 Hub Dynamo hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

So.... I'm seriously thinking of getting a front wheel with dynamo Hub for my road bike. It's an Orbea Avant H50 with Orbea's own R1800 wheels.

However i'm totally lost when looking at the options available - Mostly as I haven't a clue if they will be suitable for my bike which currently has 700C x 23 tyres on it.

I would appreciate if anyone could suggest a possible wheel (with a dynamo hub) that would be suitable. I was hoping to have something for <€150.

Thanks for reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When 18650s are so cheap and can be charged with a USB charger on your desk why do people use dynos anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    When 18650s are so cheap and can be charged with a USB charger on your desk why do people use dynos anymore?
    Because zero inconvenience is better than small inconvenience.

So.... I'm seriously thinking of getting a front wheel with dynamo Hub for my road bike...I would appreciate if anyone could suggest a possible wheel (with a dynamo hub) that would be suitable. I was hoping to have something for <€150.
    Is that for the wheel only or for wheel and lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Better than carrying several spares on a long overnight ride where one may not have access to a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Probably because Dynamos don't have to be charged at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

So.... I'm seriously thinking of getting a front wheel with dynamo Hub for my road bike. It's an Orbea Avant H50 with Orbea's own R1800 wheels.

However i'm totally lost when looking at the options available - Mostly as I haven't a clue if they will be suitable for my bike which currently has 700C x 23 tyres on it.

I would appreciate if anyone could suggest a possible wheel (with a dynamo hub) that would be suitable. I was hoping to have something for <€150.

Thanks for reading...

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/diverse-road-front-wheel-28700-c-mavic-cxp-prodh-3n80/aid:716428

180 incl gp 4000 tyre and dh 3n 80 hub. I'd ask for a 25mm tyre maybe.

They have a cheaper wheel with an xtreme sari rim but it would probably be too wide for a road bike and certainly would be with mudguard.

You could go cheaper with a dh 3n 30 hub of ebay also.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm

good source of information

Shimano are the cheapest of the main dynamo hub manufactures. You wouldn't get the hub of other players for your budget but the shimano will do just fine

You could email rose/sjs cycles and ask them to build to spec but I doubt they will beat linked wheel in price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Front-wheel-Shimano-Hub-dynamo-DH-3N30-Alu-Black-Quick-release-Trekking-bike-/381411212558?hash=item58cde13d0e:g:v48AAOSwMmBV7J8J

You'd need a 28mm tyre(although I've run a 25mm on similar width rim) and it MIGHT fit between fork. No idea how they can build them for that price

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Is that for the wheel only or for wheel and lights?

Wheel Only!!!

Well I hope to commute at least some days during the winter months but it's an 80km round trip which is just over 3 hours in total.

From what I can see I'd have to charge every night but if I forget, then the bike will have to stay at home.

At least with a dynamo you can hop on the bike and the lights are always ready for use...

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/diverse-road-front-wheel-28700-c-mavic-cxp-prodh-3n80/aid:716428

180 incl gp 4000 tyre and dh 3n 80 hub. I'd ask for a 25mm tyre maybe.

Out of interest, why would you go for the 25mm tyre and not for the 23mm?

Thanks by the way for the info. I was getting a bit lost going through all the websites when I didn't really know what I was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Out of interest, why would you go for the 25mm tyre and not for the 23mm?

Thanks by the way for the info. I was getting a bit lost going through all the websites when I didn't really know what I was looking for.

Comfort, I'd go for 28 if they'd fit.

Given you a re commutting pretty long distance go for a pretty robust tyre, puncture in the rain 30km into a 80km spin in January won't be fun.

Durano plus or the like.

Get a cheap front light to help you with any mechanicals, dynamo lamps are great until you stop pedalling:)

ford2600 wrote: »
    Get a cheap front light to help you with any mechanicals, dynamo lamps are great until you stop pedalling:)
    +1.

The worst place I've had punctures is in the middle of the Phoenix Park in winter, in the dark and rain. The streetlights are incredibly dim, the headlights are incredibly bright, ruining any night vision. The mud is everywhere. The dynamo doesn't work. The phone is out of battery. It is several km to the nearest proper streetlights. A real "screw cycling" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lezyne front and rear set for €52

Good price for a back up set to dynamo lights. The rear is one of the best I've seen and going on lezyne front lights I have the micro drive is more than capable of using on its own in the unlikely event of dynamo setup failing.

Advertisement