Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lionel Messi - 21 month jail sentence for tax fraud

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not read the thread, very convenient sentence alright. Not much of a surprise, well other then that he can now be officially labelled a convicted criminal - Nice guy Messi, saviour and poster boy of football.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

And maybe Messi should be grateful for all the hard working people in Spain who pay his wages and yet manage to pay their taxes without trouble.

I'd imagine the people of Spain pay a fairly small proportion of his wages and it's not difficult to handle your taxes if the little you pay is automatically deducted from your wages.

In general suspending sentences under 2 years seems like quite a good idea.

Also, the idea of sending someone to prison for tax fraud is a nonsense anyway.

As much as vindictive bull**** sways popular opinion on sentencing, there's no benefit to spending money imprisoning people for non-violent crimes like this.
    Certainly not unless they're repeatedly caught and have shown they're an ongoing danger to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

And maybe Messi should be grateful for all the hard working people in Spain who pay his wages and yet manage to pay their taxes without trouble.

Demand and supply dictates the level of his salary. Granted, the majority that finance his salary pay their taxes in full, but none pay a fraction of what Messi pays.

My point of view is irrelevant to Messi or Barca, I'm certainly not a fan boy. It's based on having a far bigger issue with people who don't contribute to society at all, despite being able, than those who don't contribute enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd imagine the people of Spain pay a fairly small proportion of his wages and it's not difficult to handle your taxes if the little you pay is automatically deducted from your wages.

In general suspending sentences under 2 years seems like quite a good idea.

Also, the idea of sending someone to prison for tax fraud is a nonsense anyway.

As much as vindictive bull**** sways popular opinion on sentencing, there's no benefit to spending money imprisoning people for non-violent crimes like this.
    Certainly not unless they're repeatedly caught and have shown they're an ongoing danger to society.

It's also not difficult to handle your taxes if you get a 100% honest accountant and don't attempt to dodge anything.

Don't have a problem with him not being sent to jail if that is the normal sentence but he shouldn't be given preferential treatment because of who he is.

The people of Spain purchase tickets to watch Barcelona play each week, if Barcelona don't have 90,000 at their games every week then he's not getting paid so much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think jailing him would have been ridiculous. It's not as if he didn't pay tax, he just didn't pay enough. He's probably in the top 1% of personal contributors to Spanish tax revenues, they should be grateful for his financial contribution to the country. He's done far more to fund services in Spain than most through his tax contributions. I think a fine is absolutely fair to both parties.
    Man, the lengths some people will go to paint Messi as borderline infallible... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is not a murderer, or rapist or even a racist, but what he did was wrong.

I'm not going miss s second sleep over it, but the defending of him is quite funny, actually it's very funny reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It would be crime against humanity to jail Messi over such a trivial matter, when everyone knows he was clearly oblivious to any wrongdoing. Thankfully, we've learned our lesson from Ali's jailing and common sense has prevailed.

It would be crime against humanity to jail Messi over such a trivial matter, when everyone knows he was clearly oblivious to any wrongdoing. Thankfully, we've learned our lesson from Ali's jailing and common sense has prevailed.

Sure he was.;)

Except for the part where he was found guilty.

But keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Except for the part where he was found guilty.

But keep trying

Never denied he was found guilty mate. He certainly deserves punishment.

• Advertisement

Never denied he was found guilty mate. He certainly deserves punishment.

You said he was "clearly oblivious to any wrongdoing". I think he knew well what he was doing

But anyway it's over now. Life goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It is when the average sentence is 4 years. Inside a prison cell!!!

Much prefer the four year stints outside the prison cell.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

So does Messi it would appear, onky with the two year version. :p

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Well I'm sure everyone who commits offense do

He'll rightly be considered the second best tax dodging footballer ever...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/18/maradona-39m-euros-tax-bill-italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/18/maradona-39m-euros-tax-bill-italy
    So Messi is the best of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Especially when you consider that Maradona was around in an era of world class tax collectors.

Messi always in his Maradona shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/news/2016-2017/-weareallleomessi-show-your-support

Might be one of the most ill advised things I've seen a club do. I'm sure the many unemployed Spaniards will appreciate saying they're same as a guy who's been convicted of tax fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

titan18 wrote: »
    https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/news/2016-2017/-weareallleomessi-show-your-support

Might be one of the most ill advised things I've seen a club do. I'm sure the many unemployed Spaniards will appreciate saying they're same as a guy who's been convicted of tax fraud
    The Barcelona fans probably won't take badly to it at all. It's still a crass gesture from what I personally view to be a horrible football club.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Using the hashtag #WeAreAllLeoMessi while posting a photo or message with both hands open, the campaign is encouraging all Barça fans to express their sympathy for the greatest footballer in the world by voicing their unconditional support on social networks.

I don't see why anyone should be sympathetic? Unless they're framing it as some sort attack on Barcelona/Catalonia?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's Suarez t-shirts all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's Suarez t-shirts all over again.

This is on a whole other level. Those t-shirts were dumb, this thing is one of the stupidest, most shameless things I've ever seen from a football club.

It's Messi, it's Barcelona. The media will likely paint this as a great, wholesome, classy move. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I especially like the part where they encourage people to offer unconditional support.

Unconditional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

If this was in a movie, I'd criticise it for "no club could be that stupid".

Absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Barcelona encouraging people to support a convicted tax fraud.

iWKad22.jpg?fb

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Barcelona encouraging people to support a convicted tax fraud.
    It's Barca, if you can't just sit back, shut up, stop asking questions and appreciate how romantic this whole thing is then there is nothing we can do for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We're having a sponsored walk for Lionel on Monday at 8, starting from the GAA club. Still need marshalls if anyone's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

We're having a sponsored walk for Lionel on Monday at 8, starting from the GAA club. Still need marshalls if anyone's free.

Is it cash in hand? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lost his appeal today against the prison sentence but still probably won't go to jail.

But I wonder will this be the moment he decides to leave Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Will that have any implication on him playing games abroad, particularly international football? i.e. having a criminal record and a (suspended) jail sentence under his belt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will that have any implication on him playing games abroad, particularly international football? i.e. having a criminal record and a (suspended) jail sentence under his belt?

With it being for non-violent means he may get away with it. Then again this opinion isn't rooted in a legal basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mushy wrote: »
    With it being for non-violent means he may get away with it. Then again this opinion isn't rooted in a legal basis.

The money his presence alone brings into a country makes me think something will be sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The money his presence alone brings into a country makes me think something will be sorted out.

Exactly!

Would love to see what would happen if like Chelsea were playing Barcelona in a cl final at Wembley, or Argentina going to Brazil in a WC qualifier for instance. Easy excuse to not let him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mushy wrote: »
    Exactly!

Would love to see what would happen if like Chelsea were playing Barcelona in a cl final at Wembley, or Argentina going to Brazil in a WC qualifier for instance. Easy excuse to not let him play.

The Serge Aurier thing? (which I thought was terrible for football btw).

But presumably it wouldn't apply to Messi as I'm guessing he is an EU citizen at this stage so wouldn't be prevented travelling to the UK (currently, who knows after brexit).
    And would also assume the South American countries have free travel agreements between them (he'd hardly be the first south American footballer with a criminal record but don't recall it being an issue for qualifiers,Copa's etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

and looks like he's not the only one judging by Marca - potentially lethal 5 a side inside team being built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

21-month prison sentence has now been replaced with €250k fine.

Laughable not even a weeks wages for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is a criminal for life though. He'll never be able to get rid of that tag.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is a criminal for life though. He'll never be able to get rid of that tag.

Oh how awful.I'm sure he won't be able to sleep knowing he's down in the books as a criminal for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh how awful.I'm sure he won't be able to sleep knowing he's down in the books as a criminal for life.
    You didn't put a space between . and I'm. I hope that doesn't keep you up later on.

Advertisement