Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ssd trouble

Options
  • 06-07-2016 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

How can you tell if an ssd is failing dying or has died?
    When i connect it up my computer doesn't see it,i can't find it in the bios and when it does appear in win virtual disk management its completely unallocated.
    Its a crucial m4 128gb approx 4 years old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Anyone?

When you say connect up are you talking about installing it internally in the pc or externally via a caddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just needs to be formatted I think, is it a new SSD?

no its not new,its approx 4 years old and i mean connect it internally as it always has been.
    it just seems to have stopped working.I tried formatting it the normal way and also dskpart through cmd and it wont let me.
    I tried assigning a letter to it as in c drive d drive etc and nothing.I did that before when a drive wouldnt show up and it worked.
    its still showing in the virtual disk area of win 7 but showing as unallocated.
    the only solution ive come up with (rather than bringing it to a pc repair guy its 35 euros just for him to look at it) is getting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What size is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

CG,
    Obliviously you have the installation software on the machine already. I'm not sure about the Crucial drives, but some require the SSD software to be on the machine, before they are recognized. Once recognized, the software should be able to determine the health of the drive.

i dont know what software your talking about.it never came with a disc as far as i can remember.
    windows is saying this drive is working fine.and i downloaded crystaldiskinfo.and it says its 100% working fine.yet when its connected you cannot add anything to it or install anything to it.
    maybe its something small that i am not doing but why would it work all along and now not work.i thought it was the cables or the mobo but surely it wouldnt be recognised if they were the problem.

its a 128gb

it was only used to have win 7 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. I had an M500, it became entirely unallocated one day. It restored itself after a while, but happened again a few weeks ago. Mine was only 2 years old, so crucial are replacing it for me.

Google 'crucial SSD power cycle', you'll see how common it is. It'll give you some instructions to attempt to recover the SSD.

pillphil wrote: »
    Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. I had an M500, it became entirely unallocated one day. It restored itself after a while, but happened again a few weeks ago. Mine was only 2 years old, so crucial are replacing it for me.

Google 'crucial SSD power cycle', you'll see how common it is. It'll give you some instructions to attempt to recover the SSD.

Yea thanks. 3 times i did that no joy.i rang crucial and its out of warranty.
    One of the warnings that keeps appearing is " the request could not be performed because off an i/o device error"
    This is when you go into virtual disk it trys to initialize the ssd by choosing the partition style MBR.
    Im baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Yea thanks. 3 times i did that no joy.i rang crucial and its out of warranty.
    One of the warnings that keeps appearing is " the request could not be performed because off an i/o device error"
    This is when you go into virtual disk it trys to initialize the ssd by choosing the partition style MBR.
    Im baffled.

Have you tried physically removing the drive and reinstalling. Probably not the issue but worth eliminating all possibilities

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you tried physically removing the drive and reinstalling. Probably not the issue but worth eliminating all possibilities

If you mean unplugging the power and the data cable and removing it from the inside of the pc, yes i have several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had a Toshiba M2 do it. Drive/controller just went tits up all of a sudden. Couldnt repair the MBR/MFT. Baking the unit at 200c revived it, but no data was recovered.

The thing about SSDs is when they fail, they fail spectacularly when HDDs tend to go slowly when not the victim of a fall.

ED E wrote: »
    I had a Toshiba M2 do it. Drive/controller just went tits up all of a sudden. Couldnt repair the MBR/MFT. Baking the unit at 200c revived it, but no data was recovered.

The thing about SSDs is when they fail, they fail spectacularly when HDDs tend to go slowly when not the victim of a fall.

I must admit i laughed at your baking suggestion but i googled it and its actually a thing that can be done.ill research it a bit more and ill see if ill do it.
    Thanks.

Advertisement